What do you value in a Head Coach?

Post Summary:

Here is what I value

1-Winning culture/experience: I want a winner who is as uncomfortable losing as a cat on a hot tin roof. 

2-Adaptability on the micro level: I want a coach who displays a high level of adaptability, realizing that each opponent is different and game plans should vary accordingly. 

3-Consistency on the macro level: While game plans change, attention to detail and the level of accountability for players and coaches remains constant over all time horizons and circumstances. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full version:

1) Winning Experience. I want someone who has experience winning. I'm okay if it is as a coordinator or as a coach. I'm okay with either side of the ball. I want to coach who is used to winning and would be uncomfortable in a hurry with losses.

2) Adaptability. Being uncomfortable losing is not enough in and of itself. You have to be flexible and open to change when things are not going right. While Quinn has shown a willingness to play musical chairs and make overall scheme changes when his hand is forced, he is known to like to stick with his scheme and his players and force other teams to beat then as a weekly strategy. That is an approach he shares with Pete Carroll. "We do what we do very well and you have to beat us." The problem is, you have to have superior talent over your opponents to pull that off. Belichick is on the other end of the adaptability spectrum. To him each week is unique and requires a unique approach for the conditions and opponent to be faced. What athletes do I have available? What are my opponents strengths and weaknesses? How will this opponent try to win? How do I defense that intent? Where do I have an advantage that I can maximize for victory.  Last night's Patriots is a prime example (no QB and facing KC). He was outmanned on both sides of the ball, but stayed in the game until the middle of the 4th quarter with a greatly overmatched talent pool on both sides of the ball. He ran the ball, shortened the game, stayed patient on defense just trying to earn an occasional 3rd down. Until the last few minutes of the game (when a star made an glaringly uncharacteristic mistake) he kept his team within one funny bounce of pulling off an improbably win. 

I want a coach who is more Belichick-like and less Carrol-like. I treasure adaptability. I understand the opposing view, but I don't think the reality of the NFL allows you out talent most teams on a week in and week out basis. You have to give yourself a chance when your at a talent deficit. 

3) Consistency. You may think adaptability and consistency are opposites. To me, adaptability is on the micro (weekly, quarterly, drive-to-drive) level and consistency is for the macro (month to month, year to year, for an entire career) level. There is no flavor of the month or new point of emphasis. Your consistently making adjustments from week to week based on the upcoming game. But on the other hand, you have the same level of accountability among players and coaches if the record is 9-3 or 3-9. I think a recent example of what I'm looking for is Eric Bienimey (sp?) going off on his offense for lapses in execution/concentration in a game they were leading by 2+ scores. Your athletes are conditioned to perform consistently over time. It is part of the culture. When it fails to happen it looks strange. Anyone see the Edleman skillet hand a pass that turned into a pick six? The most distinguishing factor of that play was it simply appeared odd on the surface...that is not something that team or that player does. That is also an example of how quickly a well schemed game against an opponent that has you out-talented can get away. One lapse of concentration and a week's preparation to beat a superior opponent goes up in a puff of smoke. That is how important consistency is in this league. You have to bring it every season, every game, and every play. The plan can change. The expected level of concentration on the details never should. 

Vision the ability of your leader/HC and see this vision through.

Having the ability to hire good teachers to as above help you see your vision come to fruition.

Problem solving being ahead of the mentioned which ties into adaptability.

Trends being able to identify trends in the game which ties into thee above also when the ground moves you have the ability to move with it.

Consistency is huge bringing your best and worst closer together.Complimentary football has been this teams downfall and a massive failing of our leader and thee direct opposite of consistency we are the masters of inconsistent.

2019 first half 1-7 second half 6-2 as above tying your best and worst closer together.2020 0-4 wildly inconsistent in the space of 12 months.

1 minute ago, lostnmexico said:

FUNDAMENTALS  I have had enough of these guys trying to reinvent the game that I love.

Totally agree. That is one of the things I like to see consistently. For example, D. Jones both had a solid game and ran himself out of the opportunity to make additional tackles. Inconsistent leverage and execution is a hallmark of this team under Quinn. It flashes...and then it is gone. 

Adaptability. You have to make changes constantly in a league that is evolving every year.

Prior experience/winning, is overrated imo. If a guy can coach, and make changes, then just taper expectations to account for those times where a guy needs to learn something on the job. 

A good retread is hard to evaluate as is since you don't know if you're getting a guy who has learned from their mistakes or if he was any good to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Adaptability. You have to make changes constantly in a league that is evolving every year.

Prior experience/winning, is overrated imo. If a guy can coach, and make changes, then just taper expectations to account for those times where a guy needs to learn something on the job. 

A good retread is hard to evaluate as is since you don't know if you're getting a guy who has learned from their mistakes or if he was any good to begin with.

I generally agree, but "winning experience" and "retread" are not synonymous, as winning can happen on a variety of levels and context. 

8 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I generally agree, but "winning experience" and "retread" are not synonymous, as winning can happen on a variety of levels and context. 

I can agree with that. I've seen most use in the context of doing it as an NFL head coach, but a pedigree of winning is always a plus on the back end for me no matter what level it was at.

5 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I can agree with that. I've seen most use in the context of doing it as an NFL head coach, but a pedigree of winning is always a plus on the back end for me no matter what level it was at.

The antithesis of my intent would be a coach who is so process oriented that they can get comfortable with losing as long as they fully believe they had a great process and fell short for reasons outside of their control. There are coaches who are VERY successful with that approach. That is where some who favor a full rebuild may rightly share an opinion on this different from my own. During a outright rebuild you do have to trust your process despite bad short term results. In Smitty speak, you have to "trust the process." You need the vision to clearly see the end product despite the current pain and fog of war. As with all things, there is a balance.