Dimitroff Should Be Fired Too

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going back and looking at TD's history with the team, I wanted to see how much TD is to blame for our downfall. Is it all actually Dan Quinn? The answer is somewhat of a mixed bag... Draft:

Agree 100%. McKay too. This whole franchise needs a culture shock.

NOTE:   Partially quoting A-Town, I posted the parts I wanted to comment on........ Going back and looking at TD's history with the team, I wanted to see how much TD is to blame for our downfall.

7 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Going back and looking at TD's history with the team, I wanted to see how much TD is to blame for our downfall. Is it all actually Dan Quinn?

The answer is somewhat of a mixed bag...

Draft:
Although the 2020 Draft is still being evaluated, we can look back and see how much TD has helped this team with his draft approach. By my count, he is slightly less than 50/50 on his draft hits. Now the real question is, is he just getting the guys the HC wants, or does he actually play more of a hand in this mess?

• 2008 - 2014 - This is just atrocious.
    - 6 franchise players (Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Devonta Freeman, Jake Matthews). 
    - 13 contributors (Biermann, DeCoud, Douglas, Lofton, Moore, Hawley, Peters, Weatherspoon, Bosher, Rodgers, Toilolo, Allen, Hageman).
    - 36 misses (Notables: Baker, Jerry, Owens, Sidbury, Franks, Meier, Dent, Konz, Holmes, Ewing, Massaqoui, Goodman, Maponga, Ishmael, Southward, Shembo, Spruill).

• 2015 - 2020 - Much better, but 14 of these 39 picks aren't on the team anymore, and the jury is out on some of these still.
    - 5 franchise players (Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Austin Hooper, Calvin Ridley, Chris Lindstrom).
    - 11 contributors (Beasley, Coleman, Hardy, Neal, Kazee, McKinley, Oloukun, Gage, Smith, McGary, Sheffield).
    - 11 misses (King, Rodgers, Collins, Fuller, Schweitzer, Campbell, Saubert, Harlow, Riley, Oliver, Green).

• Verdict: Average (but better as of late). He usually nails a pick between Rounds 1 and 4 as a franchise player, but it is an extremely top heavy roster with very little quality depth. Even some of the "contributors" are average and are only starting because they face zero competition.

Free Agency & Trades:
To me, TD is about 50/50 on big name players, but again he is really bad at finding solid depth and consistent replacements in Free Agency.
One of his biggest weaknesses is letting go of decent players and replacing them with utter disappointments (see Curtis Lofton, Jonathan Abraham, Michael Turner, Todd McClure, Brent Grimes, Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, Dominique Foxworth, Lawyer Milloy, Grady Jackson, Rod Coleman, DeAngelo Hall).

• Hits - Michael Turner, Tony Gonzales, Asante Samuel, Alex Mack, Mohammed Sanu, Matt Bryant, Adrian Clayborn, Erik Coleman, Mike Peterson, Will Svitek

• Misses - Dunta Robinson, Ray Edwards, Tyson Jackson, Steven Jackson, Paul Soliai, Leonard Hankerson, Justin Bethel, Logan Paulsen, Jason Elam, Chris Hope, Robert McClain, Lofa Tatupu, Osi Umenyiora, Reggie Kelly, Kelvin Hayden, and many more useless names.

Cap Space:
This is what prompted me to make this post. Unless the NFL bumps up the 2021 Cap Space, we are in some real deep ****. As of now, we have ($27,285,920) in cap room. Even when you make some significant cuts, we can kiss goodbye what little depth we actually have. To me, Dimitroff banked on this being an "all or nothing" type year, and unfortunately, we are left with nothing. 32 players under contract (26 if you count the cuts), and we have no cap space to fill these spots with. TD has truly put us in a horrible position this offseason.

• Cap Space ($27,285,920)
    - Cuts:
    • Ricardo Allen $6,250,000
    • Allen Bailey $4,500,000
    • Isaiah Oliver $1,112,271
    • James Carpenter $4,041,666
    • Tyeler Davison $2,236,666
    • Keith Smith $683,332
  • Remaining Cap Space ($8,461,985)

Even with these cuts, we are no where close to getting out of the red. Go ahead, take a look. Not only are we not going to be able to sign any big ticket FA, but we also won't be able to retain some of our starters and promising depth. 

• Free Agents we won't be able to sign:
    - Alex Mack
    - Charles Harris
    - Keanu Neal
    - Takk McKinley
    - Blidi Wreh-Wilson
    - Darqueze Dennard
    - Sharrod Neasman
    - Damontae Kazee
    - John Wetzel
    - Younghoe Koo
    - Matt Gono
    - Christian Blake
    - Jaden Graham
    - Jacob Tuioti-Mariner

Final Take:
Falcons are in a horrible spot right now, and we can thank both DQ and TD for that. Although TD has had some solid draft picks, this alone cannot and should not save his job. Two words comes to mind when I think of Dimitroff, and those words are AVERAGE & SOFT. The Falcons will reflect this as long as he is around. Over the years, we have become more weak, pathetic and embarrassing as a team. Take a look, our team turned into the ******* meme of the NFL ever since our 28-3 collapse, and it has only gotten worse this season. No one is afraid of us, and everyone thinks the Atlanta Falcons are a joke. 

It is time to rid this team of the horrible 28-3 stench that has plagued us for years and start fresh. That means scrapping both DQ and TD.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 

Glad to see some on the board have the ability to reason with facts. 

he’s avg. at best, really below if you work all those numbers into percentages. 

Edited by JKH5785

Arthur needs to clean house. 

Anyone having anything to do with Player Personnel and Organization Management should be gone. Keep the facility basic staff if needed...  the Janitor can stay I guess.

And the Owner needs to get the **** out of the way once he hires the GM. 

You hire people that know more about the business and are smarter about the business...  and let them do their jobs!

And err'body is "tradeable" IMO.

8 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

If we lose to Carolina, I think that would be it.

My last straw with Quinn was in the season opener of 2019 in Minnesota. His 5th year, his Defense as DC, he was going to get Beasley going, etc. What happened?

First two trips the defense took the field they were more undisciplined on every snap than a bunch of first time 7 year olds playing Pee Wee football. LITERALLY. Not just figuratively.

That IS a Coaching, and Organization Leadership issue. Period.

11 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Even with these cuts, we are no where close to getting out of the red. Go ahead, take a look. Not only are we not going to be able to sign any big ticket FA, but we also won't be able to retain some of our starters and promising depth. 

• Free Agents we won't be able to sign:
    - Alex Mack
    - Charles Harris
    - Keanu Neal
    - Takk McKinley
    - Blidi Wreh-Wilson
    - Darqueze Dennard
    - Sharrod Neasman
    - Damontae Kazee
    - John Wetzel
    - Younghoe Koo
    - Matt Gono
    - Christian Blake
    - Jaden Graham
    - Jacob Tuioti-Mariner

To tell you the truth the only guy worth keeping in that group would be Matt Gono.. Takk would be good but he is not starting material and he cannot stay healthy.. but just those 2 would be good to keep... every other one would rather keep a rookie....

At the end of the day I just don't wanna lose anyone solely because Quinn dragged them down with the ship. If it's TD's time... so be it. But I got this weird feeling Quinn having final say over the roster gives a bad coach a disproportionate amount of influence in this relationship. 

If he was a good coach then hooray, but...well...yeah.

16 minutes ago, Fiercefalcon said:

At the end of the day I just don't wanna lose anyone solely because Quinn dragged them down with the ship. If it's TD's time... so be it. But I got this weird feeling Quinn having final say over the roster gives a bad coach a disproportionate amount of influence in this relationship. 

If he was a good coach then hooray, but...well...yeah.

That being said, the drafting hit/miss rate has lessened since Quinn’s arrival. 

TD was a dog with no hair on his aas before the Quinn hire. 

TDs success in the draft for several years running Pre-Quinn was absolutely pathetic. 

It’ll be a good day when he’s gone. He’s not terrible, but Atlanta needs a complete overhaul in how things are done. A complete systematic change and that includes the front office.

Dude should’ve been let go years ago but Blank will be Blank. I do think that kind of loyalty will be attractive to a new GM. If Irsay was able to lure in Chris Ballard, Blank can definitely bring in somebody good. 

10 hours ago, B52Dawgs said:

My last straw with Quinn was in the season opener of 2019 in Minnesota. His 5th year, his Defense as DC, he was going to get Beasley going, etc. What happened?

First two trips the defense took the field they were more undisciplined on every snap than a bunch of first time 7 year olds playing Pee Wee football. LITERALLY. Not just figuratively.

That IS a Coaching, and Organization Leadership issue. Period.

Agreed.  I just think after the repeated failures and uncanny number of blow 4th quarter since the Super Bowl debacle, the whole organization needs a cleansing.  Or an exorcism.  Or both.

Hire a GM.  Let him choose his coach.  Move this organization forward.

5 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

It was in the OP, which I was originally responding to. 

I see the bit saying "slightly less than 50/50" in the OP now. Didn't feel like the main point, but my bad not seeing that. 

I guess where I'm confused is that, even according to the model you posted, the Falcons are 10th. When accounting for how (at least imho) the Falcons overplay their draft picks, even when they aren't necessarily good enough to get the playtime they do - a problem to some extent for all teams, but very prevalent under Quinn especially imho - and when accounting for our annually poor depth and secondary FA acquisitions - I don't think it's unreasonable to agree with the OP and say this team has, realistically, an average GM. I just don't think it makes sense to settle for average.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I see the bit saying "slightly less than 50/50" in the OP now. Didn't feel like the main point, but my bad not seeing that. 

I guess where I'm confused is that, even according to the model you posted, the Falcons are 10th. When accounting for how (at least imho) the Falcons overplay their draft picks, even when they aren't necessarily good enough to get the playtime they do - a problem to some extent for all teams, but very prevalent under Quinn especially imho - and when accounting for our annually poor depth and secondary FA acquisitions - I don't think it's unreasonable to agree with the OP and say this team has, realistically, an average GM. I just don't think it makes sense to settle for average.

I guess my point was if you are determining that TD is average amongst his peers, what external benchmark are you using? I'm not arguing that he isn't and as much as I feel the fault mainly lies with the coaching staff, I feel like we do just need to clear house and start again. I do think however we could end up in a 'grass is greener' situation when it comes to the GM position.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, BamaBirdLady said:

2, maybe 3 of his 1st round picks have been busts, as you pointed out. 

2008 Sam Baker

2009  Peria Jerry

Total waste of 1st round picks!

2015 Vic Beasley, with the amount of money, development,  and time we spent on him and he gave us 1 good year, I would say he was bust.

Thomas is more at fault than Quinn, His picks are normally reaches and are a draft year behind as far a needs go i.e The Peria Jerry pick, They should've drafted a DT in 2008 instead of a year later being forced to.

8 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I guess my point was if you are determining that TD is average amongst his peers, what external benchmark are you using? I'm not arguing that he isn't and as much as I feel the fault mainly lies with the coaching staff, I feel like we do just need to clear house and start again. I do think however we could end up in a 'grass is greener' situation when it comes to the GM position.

Fair point and question, I should have put this in the OP, but this is what I used to gauge how other teams compare to us. It’s got some flaws like all the other metrics and analysis. With that said, I think when you look at our draft picks, it’s easy to see that we have had some horrendous draft classes and really struggle to find solid contributors, especially on defense and the offensive line. I believe coaching does play a role, but TD is not blameless in all of this. He’s been very average for us, and we are all tired of settling for average. Is there a risk we could get someone worse? Yes. But I would take that risk if there’s a chance a new GM could take us to a new level. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/4/11/21217490/who-were-the-best-and-worst-drafting-teams-of-the-decade-in-the-nfl

T0 make this simple... WE should hire the very best OC who knows how to teach and lead a team without causing players to not want to play for Him.. But knows how to work with Men of the game.  WE have the players to win, But we don't have the right HC.. To be honest with you.. I'm not a negative person.. But I did not want Quinn to be Coach when that handed the job to him, But I thought well, maybe they are right.. I did think we should have gotten a HC with at least a few years of HC exspearience ..... So as not to have a HC that will have to  go threw several years before he learns what to do an not do..  Now , I'm seeing I was thinking correctly .. I have a feeling right about now AB realizes that is what He should have done too.  

The tell tell sign that this is correct is losing games we should have been winning. . not knowing what to do in those close games to win..  A seasoned Veteran HC has already learned those Must have lessons..  It's kind of hard to think they'll let Quinn continue to learn the hard loses.. It'd be nice to get a HC that can get the job done. DQ is a great person, But not who we need , we need an experienced HC.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, Francis York Morgan said:

Agree 100%. McKay too. This whole franchise needs a culture shock.

Exactly!!  This org needs one big corporate purging!!  Top to bottom, side to side!!!  We need new head of football operations, a new GM, new scouts, new coaching, new marketing new uniforms and honestly a new place to play (MBS is cursed from the pits of ****) I’d rather sit on 2x10 bleachers drinking canned beer at a cow pasture and watch real pro coaches, real pro players and real effort week end and week out than go to the tak mahal and watch a bunch of overpaid, overhyped, front-running premadonnas led  by cartoon characters talking rah rah rah after every time they and their team are literally bent over and used for the opponents physical gratification on the 50 yard line.  

11 hours ago, FloweryStump said:

Agreed.  I just think after the repeated failures and uncanny number of blow 4th quarter since the Super Bowl debacle, the whole organization needs a cleansing.  Or an exorcism.  Or both.

Hire a GM.  Let him choose his coach.  Move this organization forward.

I said basically the same thing in another thread. Arthur needs to quasi-fire himself and enjoy his last years while the GM runs to show. Keep the janitor at the Branch if you must...  everyone else must go. MUST!!  Time to cut bait and move on.