Jump to content

Matt Ryan and the salary cap


Recommended Posts

You can understand how many fans are saying trading Matt Ryan might be the first step in a rebuild process.  However, if we do that, it would be VERY expensive to us from a dead cap perspective.

If we trade (or cut) him in 2021, the Falcons would take a $49, 937, 500 dead cap hit.  If we trade (or cut) him in 2022, we would take a $26,525,000 cap hit.  In 2023, it goes down to $8,612,500.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

How about Julio?  It would cost us $38,550,000 in 2021, $15,500,000 in 2022 and $7,750,000 in 2023.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

For Jake Mathews, it would cost us $18,879,650 in 2021, $11, 656,700 in 2022 and $4,433,750 in 2023. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jake-matthews-14415/

And, it goes on like this down our roster...This isn't their salary.  It's how much the cost us to NOT take their salary.

As a reminder, the salary cap for the whole roster this year is $198,200,000.

The is the price of #thebrotherhood.  When you think of how bad Quinn has been, Dimitroff says: "Hold my beer, Bro!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

All 3 are possible after the 2021 season. One has to assume the cap will jump up a bunch going into 2022 if we are back to normal post COVID. The dead cap will be a lot ditching those 3 at that point (52m) but we will still save money towards our cap on all 3 players (27m total)

Same goes for Grady, Deion and Fowler. All 3 can be moved with dead cap space but we would clear room.

Theirs not much we can do currently or going into the next year. Were stuck with these guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tmodel66 said:

You can understand how many fans are saying trading Matt Ryan might be the first step in a rebuild process.  However, if we do that, it would be VERY expensive to us from a dead cap perspective.

If we trade (or cut) him in 2021, the Falcons would take a $49, 937, 500 dead cap hit.  If we trade (or cut) him in 2022, we would take a $26,525,000 cap hit.  In 2023, it goes down to $8,612,500.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

How about Julio?  It would cost us $38,550,000 in 2021, $15,500,000 in 2022 and $7,750,000 in 2023.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

For Jake Mathews, it would cost us $18,879,650 in 2021, $11, 656,700 in 2022 and $4,433,750 in 2023. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jake-matthews-14415/

And, it goes on like this down our roster...This isn't their salary.  It's how much the cost us to NOT take their salary.

As a reminder, the salary cap for the whole roster this year is $198,200,000.

The is the price of #thebrotherhood.  When you think of how bad Quinn has been, Dimitroff says: "Hold my beer, Bro!"

The numbers completely change if he is released as a post 6/1 designation.  
 

4hixls.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

While this is true, Even if you designated Julio and Ryan as 6/1 with an offseason trade it would still be 44m of dead cap the next 2 seasons and with the lowered cap this upcoming year that is not doable.

Julio has nearly a fully guaranteed contract.  He isn’t going anywhere.  And I don’t think Ryan should either....but they could get out with 23 mill in dead money and 17 mill cap savings after this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Julio has nearly a fully guaranteed contract.  He isn’t going anywhere.  And I don’t think Ryan should either....but they could get out with 23 mill in dead money and 17 mill cap savings after this year.

yeah I read what you posted wrong lol. Julio is not going anywhere for sure but yeah Ryan is more possible with a post 6/1 designation in a trade this offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

All 3 are possible after the 2021 season. One has to assume the cap will jump up a bunch going into 2022 if we are back to normal post COVID. The dead cap will be a lot ditching those 3 at that point (52m) but we will still save money towards our cap on all 3 players (27m total)

Same goes for Grady, Deion and Fowler. All 3 can be moved with dead cap space but we would clear room.

Theirs not much we can do currently or going into the next year. Were stuck with these guys.

After 2021 = the 2022 season.  
 

We are in salary cap ****.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tmodel66 said:

You can understand how many fans are saying trading Matt Ryan might be the first step in a rebuild process.  However, if we do that, it would be VERY expensive to us from a dead cap perspective.

If we trade (or cut) him in 2021, the Falcons would take a $49, 937, 500 dead cap hit.  If we trade (or cut) him in 2022, we would take a $26,525,000 cap hit.  In 2023, it goes down to $8,612,500.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

How about Julio?  It would cost us $38,550,000 in 2021, $15,500,000 in 2022 and $7,750,000 in 2023.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

For Jake Mathews, it would cost us $18,879,650 in 2021, $11, 656,700 in 2022 and $4,433,750 in 2023. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jake-matthews-14415/

And, it goes on like this down our roster...This isn't their salary.  It's how much the cost us to NOT take their salary.

As a reminder, the salary cap for the whole roster this year is $198,200,000.

The is the price of #thebrotherhood.  When you think of how bad Quinn has been, Dimitroff says: "Hold my beer, Bro!"

Those dead cap hits are abysmal. The thing is, though, our squad is loaded with talent. They're honestly grossly under-coached and aligned in the wrong systems. If Belichick, or Reid, or Shanahan, or even Harbaugh had this group, do you believe we would suck this hard? I'm truly looking forward to having a new regime and culture in Atlanta. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope everyone is ready for the reality.  So here it is.  One of two things will happen.

1. We stay really bad, with what we have until Julio and Ryan are off the books, then we flounder around for a couple of years and maybe reach mediocrity (like falcons from the '80's, if you can call us that then).

2. We make some tough decisions, get rid of who we can, start rebuilding next year and maybe in about three years can be good. (what does this mean?  Trade Ryan and Julio, eat their contracts and try and get some decent draft picks that can be ready in three years to win)

Bottom line is that the Falcons are going to be really bad for about the next three years.  TD has put us in a spot with no way of building a good team and Quinn has squandered the talent we had.

Blank has empowered them both.

Fans pay the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm comfortable with Ryan for two more years...but I do want potential replacements standing on the sideline with the clipboard...as opposed to Schaub. It is fine to draft someone who is a couple of years away. As far as Julio goes, I'm fine with status quo at WR. It seems to be the one position we stay stocked at. If we had to roll with OhZee tomorrow, I'd be fine with it looking long term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I'm comfortable with Ryan for two more years...but I do want potential replacements standing on the sideline with the clipboard...as opposed to Schaub. It is fine to draft someone who is a couple of years away. As far as Julio goes, I'm fine with status quo at WR. It seems to be the one position we stay stocked at. If we had to roll with OhZee tomorrow, I'd be fine with it looking long term. 

How about if we draft Trevor Lawrence... You gonna have him standing on the sideline holding Matt's cap for two years? That kid would start from day one, and I don't care whose panties got wadded up in the process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

All 3 are possible after the 2021 season. One has to assume the cap will jump up a bunch going into 2022 if we are back to normal post COVID. The dead cap will be a lot ditching those 3 at that point (52m) but we will still save money towards our cap on all 3 players (27m total)

Same goes for Grady, Deion and Fowler. All 3 can be moved with dead cap space but we would clear room.

Theirs not much we can do currently or going into the next year. Were stuck with these guys.

Or you can make an even greater impact to the team by just changing the gm and hc now lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

How about if we draft Trevor Lawrence... You gonna have him standing on the sideline holding Matt's cap for two years? That kid would start from day one, and I don't care whose panties got wadded up in the process. 

No, I wouldn't waste that high of a pick on a QB. Its not an immediate need. We have raging dumpster fires in other areas.  Any QB picked in the first round would be a waste imho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

How about if we draft Trevor Lawrence... You gonna have him standing on the sideline holding Matt's cap for two years? That kid would start from day one, and I don't care whose panties got wadded up in the process. 

I don't think he would start day 1...I think it would be very wise to have any new QB sit behind Matt for a year. Most new QB's don't get that bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, falcndave said:

No, I wouldn't waste that high of a pick on a QB. Its not an immediate need. We have raging dumpster fires in other areas.  Any QB picked in the first round would be a waste imho. 

I’m a Ryan fan but by the time the defense is cleaned up, even if we assume best case scenario and it only takes a season, Ryan will be 37 in 2022. You’re basically giving yourself one shot at the SB then with a quality QB (unless Ryan pulls a Brady and doesn’t decline into his 40’s, but only Brady has ever done that)

Could take 2+ years, by then Ryan’s likely cooked. Might as well take a future franchise QB while we have the chance and rebuild, because without a top pick you’re often stuck with QB mediocrity for year after year. But we need to keep DQ the rest of the season for a realistic shot at #1 pick

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I’m a Ryan fan but by the time the defense is cleaned up, even if we assume best case scenario and it only takes a season, Ryan will be 37 in 2022. You’re basically giving yourself one shot at the SB then with a quality QB (unless Ryan pulls a Brady and doesn’t decline into his 40’s, but only Brady has ever done that)

Could take 2+ years, by then Ryan’s likely cooked. Might as well take a future franchise QB while we have the chance and rebuild, because without a top pick you’re often stuck with QB mediocrity for year after year. But we need to keep DQ the rest of the season for a realistic shot at #1 pick

I will not agree with you on this, but I certainly see you point. Also disagree that there is any pressing need to rebuild. We could be 4 and 0 with current roster and better coaching. The defensive talent is lacking, but trying not to win while improving the roster is making an unneeded concession. We can have both. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I will not agree with you on this, but I certainly see you point. Also disagree that there is any pressing need to rebuild. We could be 4 and 0 with current roster and better coaching. The defensive talent is lacking, but trying not to win while improving the roster is making an unneeded concession. We can have both. 

I thought this team was talented, but I just can't get on board with it is ALL coaching. This team is terrible, and I am afraid it is about to get a lot worse...

Link to post
Share on other sites

No way Ryan moves in 2021 but he can be moved in the 2022 season. A huge dead cap hit but you still save $15-$16 million if he's not on the roster. The year after that you free up a whole bunch of money. So I would really look hard into drafting a young athletic talented QB with a strong arm if the Falcons are in position for the top pick. They can learn under Ryan for 1 year and be ready in the second year. Kansas City did that by letting Mahomes learn for 1 year and then trading Alex Smith and letting Mahomes take over in his 2nd year.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...