This season has been like a repeat of last season. Probably lose until the bye, then be out of any playoff hopes and win meaningless games, probably enough to save the coaches jobs. Coaches can say "Well you know we had all those injuries at the start of the season". 

For a long time, a lot of Falcons fans around me keep telling me "Well you know they had a lot of injured players, you can't win with so many injured players". The thing about  that is, this is the NFL, if you are a smart coach you have good depth on your team planning ahead for such things, may not help you win them all, but may be enough to keep you in contention until the starters can return. 

I agree with you KOG, I want successful players, names also. 

The Falcons players to me, especially in this last game played like they didn't agree with the play calling. I mean, 3rd & 4 and what do they have them do? Run the ball straight up the middle where the whole D-line is bunched together just waiting on them.  

DK is the most predictable OC I have ever seen, it's like he calls a play and if it doesn't work he wants them to keep running it to try and figure out why it didn't work. He just can't seem to figure out that it didn't work because it was not a good play call. 

Oh well, I'll continue to pull for them to win and watch, but at this point even if they were to make the playoffs I don't see them going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

And when they were on the street we didnt make a play, but there are position and coordinators sitting there with a history of success 

Unfortunately successful and unemployed is a hard combo to find. If they are unemployed the weren’t successful. If they are successful then they are employed.

What you’re looking for is successful and retired. Which is hard to find because it isn’t about the money for them, it’s about the legacy and the love for the game. Looking at current NFL staff we might be able to poach a veritable “who’s who?” of failed HCs.

If past experience has told us anything, it’s that prior head coaching experience doesn’t mean anything I’m the NFL. Look at our team Mularkey, Koetter, Morris, etc. It’s nice to have, but it isn’t an indicator of success or how successful you are going to be.

I see people clamoring for Harbaugh, but everything I’ve read/remember about him, he has the potential to be a distraction. Cowher’s name has been thrown around, but let’s be honest, the Falcons are pretty much a complete guy job. It took Cowher 14 years to win a Superbowl with Pittsburgh. I doubt that the Falcons fan base will have that much patience.

I think we need to think outside the box on this franchise. We haven’t had a truly offensive minded head coach since Dan Reeves.  I don’t count Petrino because, in my eyes, he was never a HC, he just pretended to be. 

22 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Unfortunately successful and unemployed is a hard combo to find. If they are unemployed the weren’t successful. If they are successful then they are employed.

What you’re looking for is successful and retired. Which is hard to find because it isn’t about the money for them, it’s about the legacy and the love for the game. Looking at current NFL staff we might be able to poach a veritable “who’s who?” of failed HCs.

If past experience has told us anything, it’s that prior head coaching experience doesn’t mean anything I’m the NFL. Look at our team Mularkey, Koetter, Morris, etc. It’s nice to have, but it isn’t an indicator of success or how successful you are going to be.

I see people clamoring for Harbaugh, but everything I’ve read/remember about him, he has the potential to be a distraction. Cowher’s name has been thrown around, but let’s be honest, the Falcons are pretty much a complete guy job. It took Cowher 14 years to win a Superbowl with Pittsburgh. I doubt that the Falcons fan base will have that much patience.

I think we need to think outside the box on this franchise. We haven’t had a truly offensive minded head coach since Dan Reeves.  I don’t count Petrino because, in my eyes, he was never a HC, he just pretended to be. 

Name or we are in the same boat another 5yrs

No clue concerning GM I know I want McKay gone for HC there’s Bieniemy, Harbaugh, McDaniels and a few hot shot college coaches like Riley.

I want Bieniemy as my next HC for many reasons one is maybe life after Ryan. I don’t believe he can play effectively into his 40’s and if you want to reboot this franchise getting a  QB in next years draft or the year after would be the way to do it. 

I love Ryan but he looked old last night as did Julio but will give Julio a pass due to he shouldn’t have been out there with the hamstring injury.

Experience matters.

The last 7 HCs to win a Super Bowl all had head coaching experience at some point prior to taking over for their respective teams.

That's why I'm not at all interested in bringing in yet another coordinator who made a name for himself after one or two years of riding someone else's coat tails.

Sick of watching our HCs make boneheaded decisions, manage the clock poorly, waste timeouts, fail to make proper adjustments, fail to have the team prepared, fail to have the team able to play hard, smart, and disciplined for an entire game, and sick of seeing them constantly getting out-coached.

We've tried hot coordinators, well known coaches, college coaches, etc. I really don't know where to go, but we need to figure it out in a hurry. I also though I'd never say this, but it might be time to sell our gold, Ice, Julio, stock up on the picks etc.  If we are bringing in a new regime let them build with players they want, plus they get a slew of picks and we can turn this thing around. 

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Rehash on the same team though???

No. Who in their right mind would want that?

Here's the Super Bowl winning coaches of the past decade, showing which had experience previously at some level.

year | team | coach | previous HC experience
2019 - KC Andy Reid (Eagles)
2018 - NE Bill Belichick (Browns)
2017 - PHI Doug Pederson (No NFL HC experience, started coaching career as HC of Calvary Baptist Academy)
2016 - NE Bill Belichick (Browns)
2015 - DEN Gary Kubiak (Texans)
2014 - NE Bill Belichick (Browns)
2013 - SEA Pete Carroll (Jets, Pats, and USC)
2012 - BAL John Harbaugh (none)
2011 - NYG Tom Coughlin (Jags, Boston College, RIT)
2010 - GB Mike McCarthy (none)

A few of those guys won by using their experience to out-coach the hot shot coordinators-turned-head coaches that they faced (Shanahan, McVay, Quinn, etc.)

Experience matters big time.

33 minutes ago, k-train said:

The last 7 coaches to win a Super Bowl were ALL rehashes.

Bill Belichick is a once in a generation coach. 

Andy Reid had a good winning record before taking the job with KC. The issue wasn’t winning. It was winning the big game that was his issue. 

Doug Petersen wasn’t an NFL HC before winning the SB 

Gary Kubiak had one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL, but let’s say he’s a rehash. 

Pete Carroll would be considered a rehash. 

John Harbaugh wasn’t a HC before winning. 

Taking a few more years past that Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, with Coughlin being the rehash. 

So it’s 50/50 if we’re counting all these. No guarantee that rehashes are any better than new coaches in terms of winning the SB. Compare that with reshashes in the NFL and see the percentage drop. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

ET is still available and considering our safety situation he should be in FB, like yesterday

50 minutes ago, k-train said:

Here's the Super Bowl winning coaches of the past decade, showing which had experience previously at some level.

2017 - PHI Doug Pederson (No NFL HC experience, started coaching career as HC of Calvary Baptist Academy)

A few of those guys won by using their experience to out-coach the hot shot coordinators-turned-head coaches that they faced (Shanahan, McVay, Quinn, etc.)

Only former HC that might be available and realistically want to be in the NFL (ie: not Harbaugh) AND that I'd want is Mike Zimmer. I wouldn't mind that tbh. But outside of that, going for a name is probably more of a corporate/marketing move...and probably likely with this FO if it remains intact.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Names. See? That's what I'm talking about 

5 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Bill Belichick is a once in a generation coach. 

Andy Reid had a good winning record before taking the job with KC. The issue wasn’t winning. It was winning the big game that was his issue. 

Doug Petersen wasn’t an NFL HC before winning the SB 

Gary Kubiak had one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL, but let’s say he’s a rehash. 

Pete Carroll would be considered a rehash. 

John Harbaugh wasn’t a HC before winning. 

Taking a few more years past that Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, with Coughlin being the rehash. 

So it’s 50/50 if we’re counting all these. No guarantee that rehashes are any better than new coaches in terms of winning the SB. Compare that with reshashes in the NFL and see the percentage drop. 

Man, if you do any more cherry picking I'm gonna ask you to bake me a cobbler. 😜

I'm talking about ANY HCing experience. Obviously NFL experience is ideal, but at the end of the day college, CFL, UFL, Arena, community college, or even high school head coaching experience beats having none at all... because the duties would be the same across the board on a base level. To me, it seems there'd be a little better chance that a dude who has served in a role as HC on any level is gonna have a much better grasp on how to manage a game in that same role in the NFL compared to a guy who has absolutely no experience in the role of HC whatsoever.

For what it's worth, there have been 54 Super Bowls played thus far.

33 of them were won by coaches who had some level of head coaching experience before they got their job with the team who won the SB.

21 were won by coaches with no prior head coaching experience (and that's even placing the dudes who served as Assistant HCs in this category)

So again, I stand firmly with history in saying that experience matters.