A TDWII Observation: Ryan, not Quinn, is the common denominator for the Falcons tendency to blow big leads...

Last week, CBS put the onus on Dan Quinn being the common denominator for the Falcons penchant of blowing big leads.

Quinn is common denominator in the Falcons penchant for blowing big leads...?

As is the case here...scapegoating never seems to find it's way to Ryan, but more discerning minds recognized that wasn't really the case.  Let's take a look at the actual evidence, shall we 😁

In the article linked above...using the authors criteria.

Since the beginning of the 2016 season, there have been 465 instances of an NFL team leading by at least 10 points at halftime of a regular season or postseason game. Combined, those teams have gone 422-41-2 in those games, good for a 0.910 winning percentage. Eight teams are undefeated with double-digit halftime leads, but only one has more than three losses. 

So in 4+ seasons, 32 NFL teams lost 41 times...an average of little more than 1 time.  The Falcons though...

Certainly, we all remember the 2012/2013 NFCCG.  The Falcons were up 17-0 and then 24-14 at halftime....we know what happened there.  But what people tend to forget is that the week before, the Falcons had a 20-0 lead only to blow that.  Thankfully, Matt Bryant staved off franchise choking embarrassment with a 49 yard FG (for a week).

But the next season...

Falcons/Packers; 21-22 - December 8, 2013 - staked to a 21-10 halftime lead, the Falcons can't hold on as they go scoreless in the second half.

...then the following season, we were treated to this.

Falcons/Lions; 21-22 - October 26, 2014 - 11 point lead?  Pffft...we can blow more than that.  The 'Wembley' game saw the Falcons up 21-0 at halftime only to go scoreless in the second half.

So if the author is taking into account a period of 4+ NFL seasons, I give you 3 such instances in a span of 21 months.  But that's not all...

The author likely doesn't account for games in which teams had a 10+ point lead AFTER halftime.  But you would think the winning percentage would be in the same neighborhood, you know, since there would be less time remaining in such a game.

Falcons/Dolphins; 23-27 - September 22, 2013 - the 3rd game of the 2013 regular season, the choke of the NFCCG still fresh in everyone's minds, Matt Ryan throws a TD to Levine Toilolo to put the Falcons up 20-10 with 12:40 left go in in the 3rd quarter.  The Falcons go onto score only one more FG.

Falcons/Giants; 20-30 - October 5, 2014 - with 5:37 left in the 3rd quarter, Antone Smith takes a Matt Ryan pass 76 yards to the house and the Falcons take a 20-10 lead at the Meadowlands.  Arithmatic can tell you how many points we scored the rest of the way.

So 5 games...in less than a 2 year period.

I'll throw this one in as a bonus because y'all will probably put this on Quinn, but...

Falcons/Colts; 21-24 - November 22, 2015 - Leonard Hankerson catches a 3 yard TD from Ryan with 9:38 left in the 3rd quarter to put the Falcons up 21-7.  But from that point forward...you guessed it.  Say it with me now - the Falcons went scoreless to go down yet again.  But that one was on Quinn I'm sure.

But if we do the math, that's 132:55...the equivalent of two plus games where Ryan led offenses put up a total of 3 points.  3 POINTS!!!!!  But it's all on DQ.  DQ has his failings...but I'll enjoy watching the defense of a false idol here...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Defensive rankings for those 3 seasons: 2013: 27th in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions, 29th in sacks 2014: 32nd in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions (fo

So all you got are 6 games that don't relate in anyway to the current situation?

Go ahead and post the defensive rankings in yards and points for 2013, 2014, and 2015....and prove to us how it’s not on our defensive head coaches defenses...

Posted Images

IMO, the reasons the Falcons have been blowing leads over the years is a mix of both. While part of it is Matt Ryan, the MAJORITY of it is the poor defensive collapses/statistics and the offensive line failing to get a push for our running backs to run out clock and control time of possession. Like for example, against the Cowboys and Bears back to back weeks, Matt, with how long you've been in the league, you have to be able to command and take full responsibility for the offense not closing out the deal, make sure the team converts those 1st downs then we wouldn't have gotten into those situations, instead of quick 3 & outs. The defense being ranked 31st and 32nd in all statistical categories, is the ultimate reason why these Falcons teams continue to struggle. However, it's a culture problem. The culture has to change. It's all mental at the end of the day, and right now our franchise is mentally broken and must have a culture change around the players & staff. 

When you are up by 2 or more scores late in the 4th QTR the QB has done his job. If those leads are blown that is on the defense and the Head Coach. Also Ryan is #8 all time in NFL history in 4th qtr comebacks

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=RyanMa00

12 minutes ago, Jesus said:

So all you got are 6 games that don't relate in anyway to the current situation?

6 games out of a stretch of 44.

The current situation is that the Falcons are known as chokers.  For us to not recognize that this started prior to Quinn coming on board is flabbergasting.

Point to rankings all you want...the bottomline is that Ryan and there offense he leads disappeared in every single one of these instances.

Defensive rankings for those 3 seasons:

2013: 27th in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions, 29th in sacks

2014: 32nd in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions (for the 2nd year in a row), 31st in sacks

2015: 16th in yards, 14th in points, 27th in 3rd down conversions, 32 in sacks

You know what the pathetic thing is? The 2015 Falcons defense is tied for the 3rd best defense EVER in Ryan's career. The best defense in yards allowed per game was 2017 at 9th. The 2nd best is 2011 at 12th. The 3rd best is 2010 and 2015 tied for 16th. That is ATROCIOUS. Oh and both of Ryan's head coaches? They were brought in to build a DEFENSE....

It's pretty obvious to me what the common denominator is....we need a new quarterback. 

Idiot GIFs | Tenor

I said this as well but people ignore this. We blew leads in the Smith era and people blamed him now we are blowing leads with Quinn now he's getting all the blame too. He's had defenses and a great supporting cast more than once. People like to say "Matt Ryan is not to blame , he passed for 350 yards and 3 tds, its the defenses's fault. Here's a little secret when we are up big in games our offense tends to go ******** quick. Its always the same thing exact thing no matter what coach you have had.

He's not entirely to blame at all deserves less blame than some but still has earned some blame  himself nonetheless 

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

These are facts...not opinions.

A QBs job is to help score, not preventing the other team from scoring. The falcons would never have a huge lead if it wasn't for the offense. They should not be expected to score 35 points every game to win.

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

6 games out of a stretch of 44.

The current situation is that the Falcons are known as chokers.  For us to not recognize that this started prior to Quinn coming on board is flabbergasting.

Point to rankings all you want...the bottomline is that Ryan and there offense he leads disappeared in every single one of these instances.

30 4th Quarter comebacks

38 game winning drives.

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Defensive rankings for those 3 seasons:

2013: 27th in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions, 29th in sacks

2014: 32nd in yards, 27th in points, 32nd in 3rd down conversions (for the 2nd year in a row), 31st in sacks

2015: 16th in yards, 14th in points, 27th in 3rd down conversions, 32 in sacks

You know what the pathetic thing is? The 2015 Falcons defense is tied for the 3rd best defense EVER in Ryan's career. The best defense in yards allowed per game was 2017 at 9th. The 2nd best is 2011 at 12th. The 3rd best is 2010 and 2015 tied for 16th. That is ATROCIOUS. Oh and both of Ryan's head coaches? They were brought in to build a DEFENSE....

It's pretty obvious to me what the common denominator is....we need a new quarterback. 

Idiot GIFs | Tenor

2012 ?? One of the best teams in turnovers. 

2017 , defense played great but when it mattered offense could not do anything

2016??? Need i say anymore ?? SB our defense was on the field,  almost the whole **** 2nd half. Thats unacceptable 

Just now, UnrealfalcoN said:

A QBs job is to help score, not preventing the other team from scoring. The falcons would never have a huge lead if it wasn't for the offense. They should not be expected to score 35 points every game to win.

A QB’s job is to win and to be the on-field CEO toward that goal.  Games are 60 minutes.  Not 35.  Not 40.  60.  In each of the instances above, the Falcons offense got shut down.  They didn’t make the plays necessary to win the game - just like the defense.

But everyone else associated with these collapses has had to pay for that ineptitude with their job.  Not Ryan.

If you want to know what’s wrong with this franchise...it’s that fact that the on field CEO isn’t held accountable for his teams performance because why?  He completed passes in the first half...what else is he supposed to do????!!!

28 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Last week, CBS put the onus on Dan Quinn being the common denominator for the Falcons penchant of blowing big leads.

Quinn is common denomiator in the Falcons penchant for blowing big leads...?

As is the case here...scapegoating never seems to find it's way to Ryan, but more discerning minds recognized that wasn't really the case.  Let's take a look at the actual evidence, shall we 😁

In the article linked above...using the authors criteria.

Since the beginning of the 2016 season, there have been 465 instances of an NFL team leading by at least 10 points at halftime of a regular season or postseason game. Combined, those teams have gone 422-41-2 in those games, good for a 0.910 winning percentage. Eight teams are undefeated with double-digit halftime leads, but only one has more than three losses. 

So in 4+ seasons, 32 NFL teams lost 41 times...an average of little more than 1 time.  The Falcons though...

Certainly, we all remember the 2012/2013 NFCCG.  The Falcons were up 17-0 and then 24-14 at halftime....we know what happened there.  But what people tend to forget is that the week before, the Falcons had a 20-0 lead only to blow that.  Thankfully, Matt Bryant staved off franchise choking embarrassment with a 49 yard FG (for a week).

But the next season...

Falcons/Packers; 21-22 - December 8, 2013 - staked to a 21-10 halftime lead, the Falcons can't hold on as they go scoreless in the second half.

...then the following season, we were treated to this.

Falcons/Lions; 21-22 - October 26, 2014 - 11 point lead?  Pffft...we can blow more than that.  The 'Wembley' game saw the Falcons up 21-0 at halftime only to go scoreless in the second half.

So if the author is taking into account a period of 4+ NFL seasons, I give you 3 such instances in a span of 21 months.  But that's not all...

The author likely doesn't account for games in which teams had a 10+ point lead AFTER halftime.  But you would think the winning percentage would be in the same neighborhood, you know, since there would be less time remaining in such a game.

Falcons/Dolphins; 23-27 - September 22, 2013 - the 3rd game of the 2013 regular season, the choke of the NFCCG still fresh in everyone's minds, Matt Ryan throws a TD to Levine Toilolo to put the Falcons up 20-10 with 12:40 left go in in the 3rd quarter.  The Falcons go onto score only one more FG.

Falcons/Giants; 20-30 - October 5, 2014 - with 5:37 left in the 3rd quarter, Antone Smith takes a Matt Ryan pass 76 yards to the house and the Falcons take a 20-10 lead at the Meadowlands.  Arithmatic can tell you how many points we scored the rest of the way.

So 5 games...in less than a 2 year period.

I'll throw this one in as a bonus because y'all will probably put this on Quinn, but...

Falcons/Colts; 21-24 - November 22, 2015 - Leonard Hankerson catches a 3 yard TD from Ryan with 9:38 left in the 3rd quarter to put the Falcons up 21-7.  But from that point forward...you guessed it.  Say it with me now - the Falcons went scoreless to go down yet again.  But that one was on Quinn I'm sure.

But if we do the math, that's 132:55...the equivalent of two plus games where Ryan led offenses put up a total of 3 points.  3 POINTS!!!!!  But it's all on DQ.  DQ has his failings...but I'll enjoy watching the defense of a false idol here...

Coaching matters. I'm surprised a discerning mind like yourself can't figure that out

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

2012 ?? One of the best teams in turnovers. 

2017 , defense played great but when it mattered offense could not do anything

2016??? Need i say anymore ?? SB our defense was on the field,  almost the whole **** 2nd half. Thats unacceptable 

2012 defense ranked 24th in yards. They were average at best. Not even close to a GOOD unit

I acknowledged 2017...and again, they were fine. Not even close to great.

2016 was 25th in yards allowed per game...the offense is the ONLY reason that team even sniffs the super bowl. So I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Here's the problem with the Falcons fanbase and posts like yours. You are holding unfair standards on the team...primarily the quarterback. You celebrate an average defense because that's the best you've seen in over 20+ years. But let's say the offense is ranked 6th in yards and 8th in points which is considered good...you ridicule the offense because your expectation is essentially 2016. The expectations of the fans are completely unbalanced. You ignore how putrid this defense has been in the entire Thomas Dimitroff era. Whenever they actually have an AVERAGE squad, not good, but average, your perception is that this defense is actually a GOOD defense when in reality, it's still not. 

The Falcons front office/organization, starting with Blank up, has simply leaned on Ryan to do too much. But that's not Ryan's fault. It's the organizations fault. If you think a quarterback should carry a team, you're going to fail. Quarterbacks needs pieces around them. They need defenses to make stops. They need running games. They need great coaching. 

I understand the majority of the defenses in the Matt Ryan era have been bad, I get that 100% and I've said it many times, the defenses over the years get the majority of the blame, HOWEVER, it doesn't mean Matt Ryan can't be held accountable at all. When it MATTERS MOST towards the end of the game, when you know a team is coming back on you in the 4th quarter, the offense still has to get the job done in clutch time, and Matt Ryan and the offense hasn't been doing that lately.

You can put up a lot of numbers and have a great offense, but clutch time is just as important as well. I'm not putting it all on Matt, but 0-7 in his last 7 passes last week against the Bears is unacceptable, if he at least gives the ball to running backs instead of doing that, we run a lot more clock and the outcome is maybe different, and other situations in the past as well but I won't bring it up. I do believe if we had a different head coach instead of Dan Quinn (or even Mike Smith too) who has a lot more sense in his head, maybe the defense is never this bad over the years, maybe Matt Ryan in the 4th quarter is a lot more clutch over the years. Who knows. 

and why would we bring back Dirk Koetter who since 2012, in all his years has offensive coordinator/head coach, has only made the playoffs ONCE!!! I mean ONCE!!! and that was in 2012 lol. Who's the blame for this? Why do we keep blaming defensive coordinators over the years for how bad the defense has been. Is it Dan Quinn who was supposed to come in to fix the defense, or is it Thomas Dimitroff who can't draft the correct players on the defensive side of the ball? Who do we keep blaming?