Blank + Dimitroff = the dumbest duo in sports

Seriously everyone, what in the world do we expect? 

We hire Dirk Koetter who’s coaching records 19-29, we hire Raheem Morris who’s 17-31, and of course Dan Quinn who’s 43-40. 

We are playing just as our coaching indicates. How in the world can our owner think that guys that are proven losers be a productive OC & DC “another time around”? It’s the simplest of simple, if we want a good team we have to hire people who have good coaching records, period. 

It’s literally no more complex than this. Hire people who consistently lose games, SHOCKER, we lose games. How can anyone be surprised? 

They are not dumb.  They have made poor coaching decisions, but they are not dumb.  

Dimitroff has built a roster that is worthy of a Super Bowl run.  It has its deficiencies, but all in all, it is a strong roster.  Injuries have taken a toll, but the main problem is Dan Quinn.  

While a total cleaning of house will likely take place, I would not be opposed to keeping Dimitroff.  Of all the football people associated with this team, he will be the first (and possibly the only) one hired immediately.  

6 minutes ago, etherdome said:

They are not dumb.  They have made poor coaching decisions, but they are not dumb.  

Dimitroff has built a roster that is worthy of a Super Bowl run.  It has its deficiencies, but all in all, it is a strong roster.  Injuries have taken a toll, but the main problem is Dan Quinn.  

While a total cleaning of house will likely take place, I would not be opposed to keeping Dimitroff.  Of all the football people associated with this team, he will be the first (and possibly the only) one hired immediately.  

The results they’ve produced are EXACTLY what their prior experience and production calls for. If you own a company that relies on sales, do you hire a bunch or below average sales people and expect them to produce at levels they never have? 

Hiring a bunch of garbage outcast head coaches with a thought that they’d be the best coordinators in the league is beyond dumb. So yes, they’re dumb. How would you define it? 

Edited by matty72780

What's weird is that there are things to criticize TD for. Even AB. But so many of y'all go straight for the low hanging fruit. And it turns out you're grabbing at the wrong tree.

That is to say... I don't know why TD is being blamed for coaching/staffing decisions. Not his ballpark.

Edited by Fiercefalcon
1 minute ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Dimitroff didn't even hire Dan Quinn and his clown oarade of assistant coaches. Yet Quinn really is going to drag him down with the ship too

It has never been clear to me who hires the head coaches on this team.  I assumed that Dimitroff headed the committee and was responsible for making the final call.  

If Dimitroff did not hire the head coaches, then he does not have the power that I assumed he has.  In that light, Dimitroff has been a very good GM.  He is just another cog and in that role, he has done a reasonably good job.  

As a matter of fact, he has been extremely adaptable because Mora, Smitty and Quinn have had distinctly different philosophies and consequently have needed distinctly different personnel.

Kyle Shanahan and Josh McDaniels both have losing records as HCs. So going by the logic used in the OP, I guess they are both losers that no team in their right mind should ever consider for OC. Oh wait... that's exactly what Belichick did w/ McDaniels & it's worked out pretty well for them.

As for TD, the dude has put together SB caliber teams for two different HCs. It wasn't his fault that Smitty continually got outcoached in the playoffs & then totally f'd it all up in 2012 by playing Abe in a meaningless game at the end of the regular season just to try to prove some dumb point... only to see Abe get hurt. And then not knowing how to put SF away after they had absolutely no answer for Julio in the first half of the NFCCG in 2012. That is 100% on coaching, not TD.

Then fast forward to the DQ era. In just 4 years after Smitty dropped the ball in the NFCCG, TD re-built a team that got to a Super Bowl. If a team can get that far, the personnel is obviously good enough & not an issue. So, the 28-3 crap was all on the coaching. Keep in mind that despite the shellshock the team faced after blowing it like that, the following year they were still able to beat a very strong Rams team on the road and were just a last second dropped pass in the end zone from beating Philly & heading to a second NFCCG in a row. That was with Sark calling offence in the NFL for the first time ever, and the young defense continuing to improve. So clearly, the personnel was not the reason for coming up short that year.

Is TD perfect, NO.

There is not a single GM in the history of the NFL that is. Everyone reaches occasionally, drafts a bust once in a while, whiffs on a free agent, etc. But compared to most, TD performs the duties of a GM better than they have. He has continually put together a roster capable of making a playoff run for the bulk of his years here. Whether or not the coaching is able to capitalize on that is out of his hands.

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

It has never been clear to me who hires the head coaches on this team.  I assumed that Dimitroff headed the committee and was responsible for making the final call.  

If Dimitroff did not hire the head coaches, then he does not have the power that I assumed he has.  In that light, Dimitroff has been a very good GM.  He is just another cog and in that role, he has done a reasonably good job.  

As a matter of fact, he has been extremely adaptable because Mora, Smitty and Quinn have had distinctly different philosophies and consequently have needed distinctly different personnel.

TD hired Mike Smith, but after Smith's tenure was cut short, Blank took over the HC search and hired a firm to choose the best candidate for him. DQ was selected out of the list and DQ recognized TD's value and decided to keep him as his GM.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12086906/atlanta-falcons-hire-search-firm-event-coaching-change

The three-headed arrangement still doesn’t make sense from the outside, but that’s not what matters. What matters is that Quinn believes it works, and Quinn is Blank’s guy. Quinn wants Dimitroff as his right hand, and so Blank gave him what he wanted.

DQ also decides who on the 53 man roster gets to be paid and extended no matter the cost. So Vic Beasely getting his 5th year option is alll Dan Quinn

Blank implied that Quinn would have control of the Falcons' 53-man roster when asked about Julio Jones getting a long-term contract.

"I think it's a decision that the head coach will look at the talent on the roster," Blank told ESPN.com. "Julio's been a great player for us and a great talent, and he represents us on the field and off the field as well as anybody else. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12266781/dan-quinn-agrees-five-year-deal-atlanta-falcons

1 minute ago, tbhawksfan said:

and to go 1-7

When going 1-7 in 2019 with the same core group of players that went on a Super Bowl run in 2016 & came up just short of a NFCCG appearance in 2017 happens, it's on the coaching.

The bulk of the roster isn't what changed, the coaching did.

It's the same crap we saw with Smitty. The players he had were good enough to make the playoffs, but he wasn't good enough to outsmart opposing coaches. Rather than fixing his own issues, he constantly used the coordinators as a scapegoat. That lead to near constant changes in message, scheme & identity from year to year for the players, and made it harder for TDS to give the coaches what they wanted/needed for those schemes.  That coupled with Smitty's continual lack of clock management skills caused the players to start tuning out... and thus a lack of consistency & focus in 2013 & 2014 with the W-L record to reflect that kind of internal chaos.

The exact same thing is happening with Quinn. He's been allowed to shift blame to his coordinators rather than fixing himself. Once he took over the D himself last year, he was exposed. Notice those same players turned things around once the coaching staff pulled their heads out of their *****? Again, that's got nothing to do with having capable personnel, & everything to do with coaching.

Just now, k-train said:

When going 1-7 in 2019 with the same core group of players that went on a Super Bowl run in 2016 & came up just short of a NFCCG appearance in 2017 happens, it's on the coaching.

The bulk of the roster isn't what changed, the coaching did.

It's the same crap we saw with Smitty. The players he had were good enough to make the playoffs, but he wasn't good enough to outsmart opposing coaches. Rather than fixing his own issues, he constantly used the coordinators as a scapegoat. That lead to near constant changes in message, scheme & identity from year to year for the players, and made it harder for TDS to give the coaches what they wanted/needed for those schemes.  That coupled with Smitty's continual lack of clock management skills caused the players to start tuning out... and thus a lack of consistency & focus in 2013 & 2014 with the W-L record to reflect that kind of internal chaos.

The exact same thing is happening with Quinn. He's been allowed to shift blame to his coordinators rather than fixing himself. Once he took over the D himself last year, he was exposed. Notice those same players turned things around once the coaching staff pulled their heads out of their *****? Again, that's got nothing to do with having capable personnel, & everything to do with coaching.

You seem to be under the assumption that I like our coaching....

I said I'm on the fence about TD. He trades too many picks to get his guy and doesn't let the draft come to him? He has made tons of bad calls. Remove Ryan and JJ and how much talent does the team really have?

I think Blank is a good owner, sometimes he is too hands off and maybe too hands on depending on the situation. The Front office needs a MAJOR shakeup, TD needs to go, he has proven without a doubt over the last 12 years he CANNOT build a team with strong trenches and cannot build a team that can get pressure on the QB. No matter who our Head Coach is or who our DC or OC is our roster has the same issues protecting the QB and sacking the QB. It is in TD's DNA to be bad at picking players on both sides of the trenches, we are always to light and get pushed around on both sides of the ball.

Our Teams are light, weak and finesse related and in the NFL that can only get you so far. If you gave Ryan and big stout OL and even an average Defense we could win the SB, but TD is not capable of doing that and needs to be fired.

1 minute ago, tbhawksfan said:

You seem to be under the assumption that I like our coaching....

I said I'm on the fence about TD. He trades too many picks to get his guy and doesn't let the draft come to him? He has made tons of bad calls. Remove Ryan and JJ and how much talent does the team really have?

I don't assume that at all, just pointing out that IMO it seems pretty obvious that TD has given two different coaches rosters capable of making it to a Super Bowl.

You can play the "remove so & so from" game with every team in the league though, so that's not exactly the strongest argument. Remove Mahomes & Hill from the Chiefs... Remove Wilson & Wagner from the Seahawks... Remove Brady & Edelman or Hightower from those Pats teams... etc., etc.

If TD trades up for a guy they feel confident in, people whine about how he trades too much. If he holds on to the picks, people whine about how his 3rd & 4th rounders don't pan out. The dude just can't win when so many folks just want to try to play both sides of the coin.

There is soooooooooooooooo much intel & so many conversations revolving around trades, speculation, etc. that goes on between GMs especially during the draft... most of which we are never privy to... that I find it foolish to assume we ever fully think we'd know that a certain player will or won't still be available later in the draft.

So if there's a guy they feel confident in drafting, go get him. If you think you can get a guy who can make an immediate impact as a starter on your team, but you'll need to use some mid-late round picks to move up and get that guy, so what?... especially if the odds of you hitting on a late rounder are slim to none due to it being a weak draft class outside of the first few rounds?