Falcons game Monday moved to 8:50 pm EDT start

Way back when,  Monday Night Football didn't even sign on the air until 9pm Eastern, kickoff was around 9:10, and the games weren't over until midnight.   There were no VCRs until the mid 80s, no networks to rebroadcast it...so you either stayed up or you missed the game.  

That must sound ridiculous to you young'ns.   

Usually the best part of the game was halftime, when Howard Cosell did his highlights from that Sunday's games.  For a lot of us it was the only time we ever got to see anything from Falcons home games because every **** one was blacked out because they sucked and not enough people showed up to lift the blackout. 

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

Way back when,  Monday Night Football didn't even sign on the air until 9pm Eastern, kickoff was around 9:10, and the games weren't over until midnight.   There were no VCRs until the mid 80s, no networks to rebroadcast it...so you either stayed up or you missed the game.  

Usually the best part of the game was halftime, when Howard Cosell did his highlights from that Sunday's games.  For a lot of us it was the only time we ever got to see anything from Falcons home games because every **** one was blacked out because they sucked and not enough people showed up to lift the blackout. 

Yeah, the Falcons highlights were great. 

Wait, I am remembering now.  They were not great.  They were embarrassing.  It was the other teams making great plays.  It reminds me that the Falcons have been far worse than they are now. 

6 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Back when MNF had Costello, Meredith and Gifford it was much watch TV

I'm assuming you meant Howard Cosell, and not "Costello"?

How much of that has to do with the fact that it was long before cable, satellite, etc. and so there were only like 4 channels in those days... which you had to pick up with rabbit ears on the TV and/or a giant antenna on the roof of your house... and they all went off the air at midnight, so there really wasn't anything else to watch?

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

Adam Schein could fill the Cosell role and Brett Favre could fill the Meredith role. If placed with a decent play by play guy you'd have a good modern day equivalent.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

I'm assuming you meant Howard Cosell, and not "Costello"?

How much of that has to do with the fact that it was long before cable, satellite, etc. and so there were only like 4 channels in those days... which you had to pick up with rabbit ears on the TV and/or a giant antenna on the roof of your house... and they all went off the air at midnight, so there really wasn't anything else to watch?

Obviously I did mean Cosell. Autocorrect is not my friend. Those three were the best ever in the MNF booth.  They have been trying to find chemistry like that since then. 

3 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Yeah, the Falcons highlights were great. 

Wait, I am remembering now.  They were not great.  They were embarrassing.  It was the other teams making great plays.  It reminds me that the Falcons have been far worse than they are now. 

Hey I didn't say the highlights were great.  Lol. 

7 hours ago, octoslash said:

I remember this very well...and I'll never forget when we first got cable with HBO, I could actually see the extended highlights on "Inside The NFL".  

Ah...back in the days where there was only a 30 minute pregame show.