Should the NFL Make It Mandatory All Stadiums Have Natural Grass/No Turf

I have been wondering why they have not made mandatory before now.  Whether to prevent injuries or to improve the quality of the game, football should be played on grass and dirt...period!!!  My two cents on the matter....

These injuries aren't due to turf vs. grass. They're due to poor maintenance of those fields. The pig slops in Chicago, Washington, and Tennessee are far worse than any artificial fields because the fields are overused and/or their grounds crews are trash at their job.

Put natural grass in MetLife and nothing changes for the better because the Giants/Jets' grounds crew obviously can't maintain their turf and they're more than likely not any better with maintaining a natural grass field.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, Iron Saint said:

These injuries aren't due to turf vs. grass. They're due to poor maintenance of those fields. The pig slops in Chicago, Washington, and Tennessee are far worse than any artificial fields because the fields are overused and/or their grounds crews are trash at their job.

Put natural grass in MetLife and nothing changes for the better because the Giants/Jets' grounds crew obviously can't maintain their turf and they're more than likely not any better with maintaining a natural grass field.

The increasing number of injuries is due more to bigger stronger athletes being able to run faster and hit harder than in years past.

12 hours ago, Trump MAGA said:

The increasing number of injuries is due more to bigger stronger athletes being able to run faster and hit harder than in years past.

I agree with that, combined with the heavy restrictions now in place for training camps across the league regarding how many padded practices teams are allowed to have within a set number of days, ect, players just don’t have enough time to physically prepare their bodies for the abuse they absorb throughout a NFL season.

But the OP started this thread specifically blaming turf fields vs. grass fields. If it was as black/white as they’re saying then these devastating injuries would be occurring with much more frequency on turf fields, but not grass fields.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, JohnnyFranchise said:

yes, i'm well aware of what they've got, just saying that it is possible to have grass in a dome stadium

Not every dome stadium is built with the field on wheels and a giant door that allows it to move in or out. Teams have tried to find ways to grow natural grass in dome stadiums and it just doesn't work.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, Iron Saint said:

better turf?  They need to dismantle that whole dump in New Orleans...:lol:

8 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Seemed to me by your comment, you felt the one you were speaking to was a Falcon fan. That’s not the case. 

I think I misread your original reply then. I read it as “preferring to win in an old stadium over losing in a new stadium” makes a person a bad fan, instead of that specific person not being a Falcons fan.

:lol:

On 10/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, JohnnyFranchise said:

yes, i'm well aware of what they've got, just saying that it is possible to have grass in a dome stadium

On 10/24/2020 at 2:54 AM, AUTiger7222 said:

Not every dome stadium is built with the field on wheels and a giant door that allows it to move in or out. Teams have tried to find ways to grow natural grass in dome stadiums and it just doesn't work.

Exactly. No way to install that that kind of system once a dome has already been built. 

2 hours ago, fuego said:

Exactly. No way to install that that kind of system once a dome has already been built. 

Absolutely. I was originally just responding to the "growing grass in a dome" comment, in a fairly sarcastic way 😎

I think a stadium could be (very expensively, mind you) retrofitted to allow for that kind of a pitch, but you'd obvioulsy need to have plenty of space around the stadium to make it work. Not very practical.

I have to say, it always surprises me that there are a bunch of mlb ballparks with grass fields and fully retractable roofs but not one nfl stadium built like that.

9 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Absolutely. I was originally just responding to the "growing grass in a dome" comment, in a fairly sarcastic way 😎

I think a stadium could be (very expensively, mind you) retrofitted to allow for that kind of a pitch, but you'd obvioulsy need to have plenty of space around the stadium to make it work. Not very practical.

I have to say, it always surprises me that there are a bunch of mlb ballparks with grass fields and fully retractable roofs but not one nfl stadium built like that.

To my knowledge there are no MLB retractable roof stadiums with real grass fields. It was attempted in Arizona, but again, it didn't work and they eventually had to put in fake grass.

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

To my knowledge there are no MLB retractable roof stadiums with real grass fields. It was attempted in Arizona, but again, it didn't work and they eventually had to put in fake grass.

Seattle, Milwaukee, and Houston for sure, I didn't know that Arizona had switched. I thought Miami as well but I was wrong about that one.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

Arizona still has real grass. The field retracts to the outside. The Raiders also has natural grass.