We won’t draft a QB, even with the #1 pick

32 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

This team needs defense. Trade down and get some picks to rebuild the defense.  Sure you can knit pick on offense but no NFL team is winning consistently when you give 20-30 points in a quarter or two. 

100% correct.  So sick of people wanting to draft the next QB that would sit behind Ryan for 3 years.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are y'all talking about?   We still have Matt Schaub.  We're set for another eight years.  

This team needs defense. Trade down and get some picks to rebuild the defense.  Sure you can knit pick on offense but no NFL team is winning consistently when you give 20-30 points in a quarter or two

If the Falcons pick 1 or 2, they MUST pick Lawrence or Fields.  Matt Ryan will be 36 is 2021.  He can't play forever.  I'm glad Brees and Brady are playing in their 40s, but human beings are not robot

Parsons should be the first defensive player off the board based on talent and go 3-4th. But you factor in team needs and how much teams value a LB vs an edge/QB/LT he could fall to 5-8. He would be a great grab for this team. A hard nosed player w throwback mentality and leadership qualities. Pairing him w DeBo could greatly help changing this defenses fortunes.

5 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Parsons should be the first defensive player off the board based on talent and go 3-4th. But you factor in team needs and how much teams value a LB vs an edge/QB/LT he could fall to 5-8. He would be a great grab for this team. A hard nosed player w throwback mentality and leadership qualities. Pairing him w DeBo could greatly help changing this defenses fortunes.

Is Parsons better than Isaiah Simmons who went #8 overall last year? 

You got Lawrence, Fields, and Sewell (OT) who I think are a lock for 1-3 at this date. 

58 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

100% correct.  So sick of people wanting to draft the next QB that would sit behind Ryan for 3 years.  

How do you figure someone is going to sit behind Ryan for the next 3 years?  You are talking about an ownership/GM philosophy.  If they decide to promptly move on, then this isn't an issue.

I'm far less concerned about what we do with draft picks next year than I am about the GM and coaching moves that are made.

Tired of coaches who are notoriously bad at game management / adjustments.

Tired of bad defenses almost every year.

I fully understand, after a game like Sunday, why people are pushing to move on from MR2 but honestly it's these ongoing higher level issues that I'm incredibly sick of.  A team can overcome a bad game from their QB. 

It's a lot harder to over come a decade plus of bad defense and bad game management.

24 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I'm far less concerned about what we do with draft picks next year than I am about the GM and coaching moves that are made.

I fully understand, after a game like Sunday, why people are pushing to move on from MR2 but honestly it's these ongoing higher level issues that I'm incredibly sick of.  A team can overcome a bad game from their QB. 

It's a lot harder to over come a decade plus of bad defense and bad game management.

Definitely understand what you are saying.  Matt is playing well.  That being said, Matt is 35 going on 36.  I would like a better investment on defense, but unfortunately, we don't have the drafts to re-do how this team was built.  We are without a win and if we end up picking 1 or 2, you have to pick someone that is worthy of that draft selection.  Trade down is nice if you have a partner.  Giving the age and where Ryan is in his career, if you are sitting at 1 or 2, I don't see how you draft something other than QB.

Ridley is still going to be here, so is Hennessy, Lindstrom, and McGary regardless of how they choose to rebuild/blow up this team.  I think with all that, no way you don't take a QB.  If money is a problem, I see Julio going and maybe between Jones and Jarrett, one of them has to go.

My bottom line, this current group missed their window.  It is closed.  Ryan didn't get to be John Elway part two.  That's how life works.  Lets hope they can build it better for the next window.

38 minutes ago, kschreck said:

This is the fundamental discussion.  Regardless how the draft plays out, this team needs a truly good Head Coach.

As far as the draft, we NEED to go with Best Player Available.  And if that prospect is a QB, so be it.  Ryan is not a sacred cow.  He has been great and, let's face it, his prime has been wasted by Quinn.  

16 minutes ago, isproab said:

Definitely understand what you are saying.  Matt is playing well.  That being said, Matt is 35 going on 36.  I would like a better investment on defense, but unfortunately, we don't have the drafts to re-do how this team was built.  We are without a win and if we end up picking 1 or 2, you have to pick someone that is worthy of that draft selection.  Trade down is nice if you have a partner.  Giving the age and where Ryan is in his career, if you are sitting at 1 or 2, I don't see how you draft something other than QB.

Ridley is still going to be here, so is Hennessy, Lindstrom, and McGary regardless of how they choose to rebuild/blow up this team.  I think with all that, no way you don't take a QB.  If money is a problem, I see Julio going and maybe between Jones and Jarrett, one of them has to go.

My bottom line, this current group missed their window.  It is closed.  Ryan didn't get to be John Elway part two.  That's how life works.  Lets hope they can build it better for the next window.

My point is, we can draft a franchise QB and that's great if we hit on that pick but if we don't get the right people in place, it doesn't really matter who we draft.

Lol At this thread.

This is ENTIRELY dependent on who the new HC/GM is and what THEIR vision of them team is. If we have a coach that requires a different skill set than Ryan has, then more than likely we’ll draft a QB. Not to mention that sustained success in the league is predicated on having a capable QB.

Ryan’s window is closing fast, and we could potentially have another franchise QB waiting when his time is up. There are a lot of of posters kidding themselves when they think Ryan can play like this until his 40s. I think he has another 2, maybe 3 years (with the same progressive decline) and then he falls off a cliff. Love Ryan, but time catches up with everyone.

3 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Is Parsons better than Isaiah Simmons who went #8 overall last year? 

You got Lawrence, Fields, and Sewell (OT) who I think are a lock for 1-3 at this date. 

Yes he is. Different player, but better player. Think Luke Keuchly coming out of BC. The other thing w Parsons is he is so dang good, but is only at his floor. He has only played LB for 2 seasons, 1 starting...really wished he would have played this year to continue to develop, but get why he didn’t. As a top 5 pick why risk it when you’re given a free pass?

simmons was way overhyped because of his versatility. I wonder how he is doing in AZ, gonna need to read up. I am shy of these “positionless” players coming out. 

I agree w your top 3 unless a team falls in love w an edge guy, but I don’t think we have one that good this year. Rosseau is certainly no Chase Young, not even close. Think think those 3 followed by any combination of Parsons/Chase gets you your top 5 picks.

3 hours ago, isproab said:

We really dont have alot of keepers do we

6 hours ago, isproab said:

Nah I don’t think so.  1st off, we won’t get the # 1 pick.  2nd,  even if we did draft Lawrence or Fields he’d sit behind Ryan for at least a year, probably 2.  Thing is that the next Burrow, Lawrence, Fields etc. is only another season or 2 out.

If we get a high draft pick we keep trying to improve our defense, at least for the next draft unless Ryan just falls off a cliff this season which I don’t see happening.  He had a bad half of football, it happens.  

If the Falcons end up with the #1 pick I definitely think they would take Lawrence or Fields. Blank may love Ryan by as a businessman there is no way he’ll pass up on a possible franchise QB that’s also a hometown kid. How often does that happen in the NFL, where timing and opportunity put you in position to get a top college QB that’s from the same state and area? 

20 hours ago, treboyplay said:

If the Falcons end up with the #1 pick I definitely think they would take Lawrence or Fields. Blank may love Ryan by as a businessman there is no way he’ll pass up on a possible franchise QB that’s also a hometown kid. How often does that happen in the NFL, where timing and opportunity put you in position to get a top college QB that’s from the same state and area? 

What would you do with Ryan?

I don’t think we pick first.  We have some fight left and I think we’ve seen the best of the Jets already. I’m seeing us closer to 3 or 4th pick but I hope I’m wrong. No joy in picking first. Never hurt the Patriots to pick late. Never helped the Browns to pick early. 

I agree that even if you bleed red like I have for 48 years, even if you think Matt Hoyer Ryan is our guy it’s still time to plan for his successor. 

I obviously have no idea who it will be or if we go this next draft. There are a handful of top QB available. 

With all eyes on T Lawrence you can write it down whoever picks Ehlinger will outperform whoever picks TL.  Hook’em. I hope it’s us but I don’t think he’s on our radar. Faster, stronger, smarter, tougher. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, coastiemike said:

It really depends on the draft prospects available.  What if the defensive crop is maybe one or two elite players and the rest are pretty much just average?  

We are in a position of taking the Best Player Available.  And to point a more fine point on the subject, I should say the player that will provide the most long term impact on the team. Let's face it, that prospect could actually be a QB.     

It's too early to say much about the draft.  What is relevant now is that our coaching stinks.  We have, once again, come out of the gates unprepared.  We will spend the rest of the season in desperation mode and win a few meaningless games.

My definition of meaningless games:  Games that have no impact on the goal of winning a championship.

So, if we don't make a deep run into the playoffs, fire Dan Quinn at season's end.