Why didn't Matt Ryan call an audible and run the ball in 4th quarter vs Bears?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chicago went 51 Nickel in the 4th Q; 5 DL and 1 LB as their adjustment to us running out of pass formations earlier. Therefore, we would’ve needed to go back to heavy personnel as the run attacks

Go in to you boss tomorrow and call your "own plays" and see how it goes. If Matt should do it, so should you. But i suppose it came down to showing respect to his coaches. 

If only it were that simple....

8 hours ago, falcndave said:

I think he is as professionally arrogant as most other HOF caliber QBs. He figured he could execute the play called successfully. They played the first good pass defense they had seen all season, and he struggled. It happens. At the end of the day, he's not paid to call plays. He's paid to execute the plays called. I'm sure if he had noticed a specific reason to audible (defensive alignment, etc.) he would have audibled. Seeing none, he felt capable of executing the play. I think it was that simple. 

He didn't do that part very well either. So where does that leave us?

On 9/29/2020 at 8:10 PM, nomak said:

Go in to you boss tomorrow and call your "own plays" and see how it goes. If Matt should do it, so should you. But i suppose it came down to showing respect to his coaches. 

its matt ryan for crying out loud. he lost the game on that pass

1 hour ago, ROMERO said:

Facts man Facts.

It's amazing that clowns don't understand things like personnel groupings and setting up plays for future plays later in the game. Funny that they think guys like Brady and Rodgers just sit back and pick their plays and when they don't agree with something they automatically change it. This thread is so full of fail.

55 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's amazing that clowns don't understand things like personnel groupings and setting up plays for future plays later in the game. Funny that they think guys like Brady and Rodgers just sit back and pick their plays and when they don't agree with something they automatically change it. This thread is so full of fail.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-clutch-play-sends-packers-to-nfc-title-game-0ap3000001096417 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809063-report-aaron-rodgers-would-regularly-change-mike-mccarthys-play-calls

5 hours ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

On Monday, Albert Breer of The MMQB pointed to the "well-documented" friction between the two, noting: "As I understand it, it'd had gotten to the point where Rodgers—who has autonomy to adjust as he sees fit—was regularly changing plays, which would make it difficult for McCarthy to find his rhythm as a play-caller."

Sounds so great I wonder how they finished that season. 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Chicago went 51 Nickel in the 4th Q; 5 DL and 1 LB as their adjustment to us running out of pass formations earlier.

Therefore, we would’ve needed to go back to heavy personnel as the run attacks out of 4 wide was going to be less effective than the 1st 3 Qs.

So, does the QB manage the personnel the coaches send onto the field?

Coaches have packages of plays according to the personnel they send into the huddle and expect the QB to work with it. The coordinator/coaches need to recognize the strategy needs adjustment before just expecting handoff audibles are optimal if the packages are suboptimal for their adjustment/lineup.

Chess not checkers.

If you have more information, you realize the real questions that should be asked if you wanted to run the ball more.

And no, no QB goes rogue.

It's easy for me to say now but we should have went heavy personnel because Calvin was our only receiver by the end of the game. If we threw out of heavy personnel it should have been a designed play to Hurst. 

3 hours ago, Fiercefalcon said:

On Monday, Albert Breer of The MMQB pointed to the "well-documented" friction between the two, noting: "As I understand it, it'd had gotten to the point where Rodgers—who has autonomy to adjust as he sees fit—was regularly changing plays, which would make it difficult for McCarthy to find his rhythm as a play-caller."

Sounds so great I wonder how they finished that season. 

You think McCarthy got railroaded?

On 9/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Next time we have a big lead in the 4th and these pass happy offensive coordinators keep calling for a pass Matt Ryan should call an audible and run the ball. What do you guys think?

Ya think? Maybe go back to 4th quarter in SB when he took an inexcusable sack that inevitably put them out of field goal range? If he didn't call an audible then... why would he now? 

Only tried and true champions do those things. 

3 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

Ya think? Maybe go back to 4th quarter in SB when he took an inexcusable sack that inevitably put them out of field goal range? If he didn't call an audible then... why would he now? 

Only tried and true champions do those things. 

Sack didn’t take them out of FG range.

No matter how many times a lie is repeated, it doesn’t make it true.

The hold on 3rd down did take the Falcons out of FG range. It negated a completed catch as well.