#7 Auburn vs #4 Georgia - Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry

Carter

Feels very strange for it to already be Auburn Hate Week, but here we are. The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry gets to feature as College Gameday’s location and the first top ten clash of the season. Well, why not?

Let’s do this.

Auburn lost some big time defensive players from the 2019 squad, but this will undoubtedly be a step up from Arkansas for the Georgia offense. The Dawgs struggled to find any offensive consistency in the 1st half, but showed some signs of life in the 2nd half with Stetson Bennet replacing D’Wan Mathis at QB just before halftime. UGA’s offensive line struggled all game with Arky’s d line though, so this figures to be a key matchup to watch this week. Eyes will of course be on the QB position. Former USC QB JT Daniels has been cleared for full participation and figures to be a major factor in the ongoing competition for the starting job. We’ll see how things unfold this week.

Auburn is not exactly facing the same offensive questions, coming off a good win over Kentucky in their opener. They struggled in the 1st half against a pretty decent Kentucky defense and then took control in the 2nd half. Returning QB Bo Nix tossed 3 TDs in the half, including a pair to Seth Williams, who he connected with 6 times for 112 yards. Auburn is replacing a lot along the OL as well, but returns quite a bit otherwise. The Dawgs defense stands tall as one of the top units in the country, however, so Auburn has their work cut out for them.

If you’re asking me, I think this has the hallmarks of a fairly low scoring defensive struggle for most of the game. Both teams have the talent at skill positions to blow a game wide open though, so who knows! I’m expecting a tense matchup. Gonna be weird seeing this game in the first week of October with a small crowd.

But I digress.

Go Dawgs!

30 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I don’t know how y’all can watch the game and notice Cleveland barley trying but if that’s true not sure why they don’t replace him. Why would he do that? Sr year

I didn't understand that either. Maybe if I had DVR still I could go back and watch closer, but some of you have some very good eyes. I actually thought he did a good job getting a push on a couple of occasions. 

The line did not play well enough regardless of who was in there. 

If Georgia's quarterback situation continues to be a struggle, then this might be Auburn's first win in Athens since 2005. I don't know guys. Even tho we won at Arkansas in the 2nd half, that 1st half debacle against Arkansas (who 'til proven is still the worst team in the SEC since 2017) told me a lot about this year's Georgia team. Offensive line is not as good as last couple years, and for the first time in a decade, Georgia does not have the elite running backs of Gurley, Chubb, Michel, Holyfield, Swift, and ****, even Crowell was better than who we have right now. We just have to see how this game goes, but it'll tell us a lot. 

Edited by mqg96

speaking of the OLine - gotta say that was probably the single biggest disappointment to me in the Arky game.   I know many predicted the dropoff w/ loss of the two 1st round OTs gone - but I honestly thought it was just going to be a "re-load" scenario.     I know we have some premier OT prospects that are only Freshman but I thought the upperclassmen would play better.    Hopefully they all step-up and gel this week.

So, does anyone have an information on what the QB pecking order is for the game? Part of me wants to see Mathis again on a short leash. But then I'm also curious what Daniels can bring. For whatever reason I just don't believe Bennet can be the guy. Love what he did last week though. 

I don’t want to be but think I’m done with Mathis, he just didn’t look comfortable at y’all- just didn’t have it in any way.. how Murry and Fromm could control the offense and know what was going on. I wouldn’t mind seeing him but barn will be much more of a challenging team than ark- and hard to imagine him doing better. Wanna see Daniels and beck before Mathis 

Regardless of what our offense does, I think the victory this week rests on the shoulders of our defensive line and our pass rush. We desperately need to get to Bo Nix. Auburn low key has one of the best receiving corps in the SEC and we can’t allow Nix time to throw. The performance by our defense at Jordan-Hare last year was superb but I think we only sacked Bo Nix twice in that game, one of which was Travon Walker’s game winner on 4th down.

If we can consistently pressure Bo Nix and bring him down a handful of times, we’ll win this game.

1 hour ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I don’t want to be but think I’m done with Mathis, he just didn’t look comfortable at y’all- just didn’t have it in any way.. how Murry and Fromm could control the offense and know what was going on. I wouldn’t mind seeing him but barn will be much more of a challenging team than ark- and hard to imagine him doing better. Wanna see Daniels and beck before Mathis 

I’m not writing him off yet.  I want to see him get a chance when the whole offense is clicking 

4 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I just don’t get this.. Mathis started his first game as a college player. Yes, he struggled but if you watch that game again it really wasn’t that bad. We were moving with him in the game but penalties negated most of the big plays. I do believe we see Bennett start and then Daniels and Mathis will see some time as well. Hot hand will stay in the game