Koetter explains why Falcons remained aggressive late against Bears - AJC

15 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It's an everything problem. 

It is but the biggest problem is that secondary and in my opinion it's mostly a talent problem. Very shaky. Quinn and Dimi tried to recreate the legion of boom secondary (Sherman, ET, Kam, Browner and Maxwell) with Oliver, Suave, Dennard, AJ and Neal). Not even close. Pete Carroll is even having trouble recreating that. They better go sign a couple vets and hope Sheffield and Miller can come back and play at a higher level. Miller has been activated.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So we didn't run it because we didn't trust a 16 point lead to be enough to focus on trying to run the ball to protect the lead? So once again, it all comes back to the defense. Koetter is afraid of t

A day later and neither Quinn nor Koetter have a problem with all the passes called in the 4th.  That is troubling

They don't get it and that's why this whole thing needs to be blown up.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It is but the biggest problem is that secondary and in my opinion it's mostly a talent problem. Very shaky. Quinn and Dimi tried to recreate the legion of boom secondary (Sherman, ET, Kam, Browner and Maxwell) with Oliver, Suave, Dennard, AJ and Neal). Not even close. Pete Carroll is even having trouble recreating that. They better go sign a couple vets and hope Sheffield and Miller can come back and play at a higher level. Miller has been activated.

I mean I can't really disagree. Oliver and our safeties have been laughable, but at the same time it was Quinn and Dimi who put these guys in these positions to begin with. A competent staff wouldn't be giving these guys all this run. 

36 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

But when you're trying to protect a lead the yards don't matter as much as the time does and the Falcons only took 11 seconds off the clock on one of their possessions. It's just like the Super Bowl. The Patriots tied the game with 40 seconds left in the Super Bowl. 40 seconds is 1 dang play!! That's it!! All the Falcons needed in the Super Bowl was 1 run play to take 40 seconds off the clock and that game ever even goes to OT. That's the point. The time. Scoring and yards is secondary at that point.

Dak and Foles just bled our secondary for two scores in 3:00. I still think NE would have gotten the ball back down 11 with 3:00, three time outs and the two minute warning left. The way they were roasting our secondary that's plenty time for the 2016 Brady.

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Dak and Foles just bled our secondary for two scores in 3:00. I still think NE would have gotten the ball back down 11 with 3:00 and the two minute warning left. The way they were roasting our secondary that's plenty time for the 2016 Brady.

Nah, they were eating clock and running a ton of plays that game.

36 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

All they needed for corner was Sheffield to push and start over Oliver if necessary. AJ just need to grow. Dennard is better in the slot. We don’t have safeties tho...

And nah they were never gonna build LoB in ATL. Different resources. But dead last at 32nd in points allowed is inexcusable. There should exist something between LoB and absolute bottom of the league.

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They still had three time outs.

It’s because we didn’t cause them to use them.

It’d be no timeouts and still 3 minutes left; us kicking off and them down 11 points.

They tied the game with about 1min remaining BECAUSE they only needed one drive; one score game.

Think we can’t kneel 3 times or recover an onside kick? Yeah, we COULD win if we put ourselves in position. But we just stared at the chance to go up 2 scores and make them drive twice in 3 minutes.

All while they would need to get the ball back twice and somehow with only the 2 minute warning.

For all we know, Kyle keeps passing after that! :lol:

Edited by Ergo Proxy
13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We gotta get Oliver off the field. He is absolutely killin us.

7 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

Zero ball awarness, and fowler been mia too, at least vic could run down a play.

I think Oliver can develop still but it’s been a big play every game. He has to either make a play to counter-balance or stop allowing a big one each week. If Sheffield were healthy, they’d probably have him out there already. Blidi is decent depth tho...

34 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s because we didn’t cause them to use them.

It’d be no timeouts and still 3 minutes left; us kicking off and them down 11 points.

They tied the game with about 1min remaining BECAUSE they only needed one drive; one score game.

Think we can’t kneel 3 times or recover an onside kick? Yeah, we COULD win if we put ourselves in position. But we just stared at the chance to go up 2 scores and make them drive twice in 3 minutes.

All while they would need to get the ball back twice and somehow with only the 2 minute warning.

For all we know, Kyle keeps passing after that! :lol:

Julio caught the pass with 4:40 in regulation. They could have let us run the clock down to around 2:30 and had all three timeouts and the 2:00 warning left. Or call their timeouts and get the ball back around 4:15 with the two minute warning. Plenty of time for Tom to bleed that secondary.

26 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think Oliver can develop still but it’s been a big play every game. He has to either make a play to counter-balance or stop allowing a big one each week. If Sheffield were healthy, they’d probably have him out there already. Blidi is decent depth tho...

Agree.

I often wonder if Oliver can play FS better than Krazee or Suave. He couldn't play worse right? Maybe.

29 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

His biggest sin yeaterday was the missed tackle that lead to the TD.

Other than that he mostly just gave up comeback routes.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

His biggest sin yeaterday was the missed tackle that lead to the TD.

Other than that he mostly just gave up comeback routes.

Again tho. Can’t have big plays for TDs on a weekly basis. He really could’ve redeemed himself some by deflecting or catching that possible INT as well...only Falcons can hit each other when one is in position to make a play; tho I’m pretty sure the LB comes into him after the ball is going by.

31 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Julio caught the pass with 4:40 in regulation. They could have let us run the clock down to around 2:30 and had all three timeouts and the 2:00 warning left. Or call their timeouts and get the ball back around 4:15 with the two minute warning. Plenty of time for Tom to bleed that secondary.

They needed 2 scores with only the 2 minute warning and would need an onside.

They called their first timeout after the sack on 2nd down. 3:50 remaining. If we kneel on 2nd and 3rd down instead or try to run, thats 1 Timeout remaining for them and 3:40 left or so.

They had been taking 10+ play drives to score. Their shortest score was from our own 25 yard line and took almost 1:30 as well. So, no I don’t think it’s enough time when they were only able to get 8 with 1 minute left. It would’ve been no timeouts and 1 minute left and us up 3 points basically.

But we don’t have to debate it anymore. Falcons would’ve missed the FG or stared at the onside kick because we didn’t just run the ball earlier in the quarter to start with and had several player mistakes out of that...we were beating ourselves more than the Pats simply being unstoppable.

Penalties and missed assignments while staying aggressive cost us at minimum 2 FGA and the deep pass to Aldrick Robinson. Those 3 plays ended 3 drives we could have added more points. Replace those 3 drives with Smitty ball and we don’t blow the lead.

We made our bed staying aggressive and it left clock. Same thing happened vs the Bears. It only works if you connect. It backfires more than a run for no gain possibly could because the time left is reduced.

Driving the length of the field instead of the Freeman missed block Would have left even less time for Pats. They were taking time to score.

Oh really? Does Koetter think the passrush may have gotten to Ryan a little bit? Well that's strange because it seems like he had total confidence in Gono shutting down Mack 1v1 all game long with no help whatsoever. I can't imagine how the passrush could have been bad. I mean, we didn't even start throwing faster passes or more runs or anything besides a couple lazy screens, so clearly Koetter wasn't concerned very much about it during the game, it was all just bombs down the field on every pass with no protection help or adjustment. 

I feel like I'm being gaslit by an offensive coordinator right now. 

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

They needed 2 scores with only the 2 minute warning and would need an onside.

They called their first timeout after the sack on 2nd down. 3:50 remaining. If we kneel on 2nd and 3rd down instead of try to run, thats 1 Timeout remaining for them and 3:40 left or so.

They had been taking 10+ play drives to score. Their shortest score was from our own 25 yard line and took almost 1:30 as well. So, no I don’t think it’s enough time when they were only able to get 8 with 1 minute left. It would’ve been no timeouts and 1 minute left and us up 3 points basically.

But we don’t have to debate it anymore. Falcons would’ve missed the FG or stared at the onside kick because we didn’t just run the ball earlier in the quarter to start with and had several player mistakes out of that...we were beating ourselves more than the Pats simply being unstoppable.

Penalties and missed assignments while staying aggressive cost us at minimum 2 FGA and the deep pass to Aldrick Robinson. Those 3 plays ended 3 drives we could have added more points. Replace those 3 drives with Smitty ball and we don’t blow the lead.

We made our bed staying aggressive and it left clock. Same thing happened vs the Bears. It only works if you connect. It backfires more than a run for no gain possibly could because the time left is reduced.

Driving the length of the field instead of the Freeman missed block Would have left even less time for Pats. They were taking time to score.

I think they could have kept their timeouts, gotten the ball back around 2:30. Bled us for a quick TD or FG drive. Burned their timeouts and gotten the ball back without an onside kick and a minute left. Then bled our sorry defense who was in the 100 snap count range for the game winning drive. Apparently Quinn and Shanny felt the same way. That secondary was way better than the 2020 version. I'm starting to understand the stay aggressive strategy. What it really means is our secondary sucks. The struggle is real bro.

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think they could have kept their timeouts, gotten the ball back around 2:30. Bled us for a quick TD or FG drive. Burned their timeouts and gotten the ball back without an onside kick and a minute left. Then bled our sorry defense who was in the 100 snap count range for the game winning drive. Apparently Quinn and Shanny felt the same way. That secondary was way better than the 2020 version. I'm starting to understand the stay aggressive strategy. What it really means is our secondary sucks. The struggle is real bro.

I understand the rationale. Just disagree that NE has a clear win condition with much time left and needing an onside. Instead, we gifted them that short field going deep to Robinson but Free whiffs. They saved time right there. Then, add in we didn’t run as much time off deliberately? Entire thing was a miracle of the Falcons making.

The one constant in our secondary has been a lack at FS as @Knight of Godand others have pounded the table over.

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I understand the rationale. Just disagree that NE has a clear win condition with much time left and needing an onside. Instead, we gifted them that short field going deep to Robinson but Free whiffs. They saved time right there. Then, add in we didn’t run as much time off deliberately? Entire thing was a miracle of the Falcons making.

The one constant in our secondary has been a lack at FS as @Knight of Godand others have pounded the table over.

Don't forget Brady had five 20+ yard chunk pass plays in that game. Plus nine 15-18 yarders. No doubt in my mind he could have ripped on us in the last three minutes.

We definitely need a free safety, but our SS and CBs ain't looking much better. They are not as talented as TATF thinks IMO. And half will be free agents in March. Troffed.

4 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Oh really? Does Koetter think the passrush may have gotten to Ryan a little bit? Well that's strange because it seems like he had total confidence in Gono shutting down Mack 1v1 all game long with no help whatsoever. I can't imagine how the passrush could have been bad. I mean, we didn't even start throwing faster passes or more runs or anything besides a couple lazy screens, so clearly Koetter wasn't concerned very much about it during the game, it was all just bombs down the field on every pass with no protection help or adjustment. 

I feel like I'm being gaslit by an offensive coordinator right now. 

That actually is not true at all.

We did alot of things to try and slow Mack down. We used TE's, we used 2 tight ends,.we chipped him some.

To say that we just let him go one on one all game is just wrong.