McVay Vs. Koetter: Offensive Philodophy

4 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yep. Predictable Dirk as ever.

Run, pass pass or the occasional run run pass until we get behind so he can FINALLY pass pass SCREEN.

Would love to see this chart for 2016-2018.

Sark was better, but we regressed in rush offense DVOA his year 2. Was Dirk supposed to improve that? :shrug:

4 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yes but they’re still favoring INSIDE zone runs more this year so far...while outside has been more effective. :shrug:

Don’t do it to yourself Ergo imagination is not part of the Koetter playbook.

Last week coming out of halftime that drive I actually saw a glimmer of hope then the TOer off of the BWW INT we went straight back to the run pass pass BS.I thought off a short field if we had have gone with the run commitment to drive the dagger in and twist it,but no our **** for brains OC goes back to farken same old.

I hate that I gave this guy that part of me showing some sought of hope.I knew it was BS.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:34 AM, vel said:

Yep. When you have a 16 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock and you don't believe a four minute offense is worth going to, that's coaching. You have to factor player error in this situation. You have the lead. A strong lead. Assume every pass will be an incomplete pass. Only pass if you HAVE to. Even then, make them high percentage shots. Those deep shots were so unnecessary. It's exactly what they did in the SB. It's DQ's thing. He doesn't know what "stay aggressive" means. What he does is get stupid. You can wear a team out staying aggressive but eating clock.

These coaches are just stupid. Plain and simple. 

Some people have a ceiling, and DQ is way in over his head. When he got hired, I wasn't on board at all. I was like this dude inherited the legion of boom and gus bradley's system and managed not to F it up for 2 years. The decision was instead of this team creating its own identity, hoping to copy someone else's success without the same tools. We have had several years to get the CB's and safeties we needed to run this scheme, which I feel is outdated anyway.

And you're right, DQ is sadly just plain dumb. He's literally completely befuddled even when it comes to basic stuff as a HC. It's like giving a drunk spider monkey a crayon and expecting it to design a skyscraper. The **** isn't happening. Considering he was gifted an elite defense, I'm not even sure he's much of a DC. Even that roguebeaver dude probably would have looked good as a DC in Seattle back then.

22 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

But our offense isn’t the problem wake me up.

We are offensively built yet can’t score when we need to score or close out games.

We are just a pass heavy rinse wash repeat.

Thats it Run Game is just a phrase like fast & physical.Its ******** embarrassment.Guys like Koetter don’t deserve talent all he’s doing is scheming it into the ground like hot pile of cow turd.

But but Ryan still threw it for 4500 yards this season for a 4-12 record.What looks good on the resume wins or your stats.

Have you ever even heard of an NFL team averaging 30 ppg, giving up 35 ppg and the Defensive DVOA is higher than the Offensive DVOA

On 9/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, JDaveG said:

Archer yesterday on 92.9 said he thought this one was on the players.  I rarely disagree with him, but I honestly don't know what game he was watching.  Yes, the players had some opportunities.  But the staff basically schemed them to a big lead and then did everything they could to even the playing field so Chicago would have a chance to win.  They literally handed them the ball game on a platter.

He talked about putting your players in a position to make plays and the players missing tackles, dropping balls, blah, blah, blah.  But he didn't talk about the basic mechanics of 4th quarter offensive football with a lead, which are 1) burn clock, and 2) if you can, score points, even field goals if necessary.

The first precedes the second in importance by orders of magnitude.  Giving the other team more possessions in the 4th quarter and then blaming the players for not playing perfectly strikes me as........sorry.........dumb.  Maybe they missed some plays.  But the defense shouldn't have had to defend a whole lot of those plays to begin with.

Great points.

The coaches basically had to try pretty ******* hard to lose these past two games. 

Can you imagine being a player? They see it even better than what we’re seeing in the coaching decision making. Morale’s  gotta be at rock bottom in flowery branch right now.

" dirk needs to run the ball more"

Dirk runs the ball more 

"Lol not like that"

I swear ....If he runs it on first down then people here complain that he is being too predicable on first down.

Now the knock is the he runs it on 2nd down too much??

This is a question that I ask....with the utmost respect... And please remember I said with the utmost respect but..... Has anyone who charts this stuff ever seen a real life pair of boobs?

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

" dirk needs to run the ball more"

Dirk runs the ball more 

"Lol not like that"

I swear ....If he runs it on first down then people here complain that he is being too predicable on first down.

Now the knock is the he runs it on 2nd down too much??

This is a question that I ask....with the utmost respect... And please remember I said with the utmost respect but..... Has anyone who charts this stuff ever seen a real life pair of boobs?

We try to predictably run on 2nd and long more than all but 2 teams.

It's not just about volume. It's about efficiency. That is the name of the game for the NFL these days.

And, the "nerds" have been proven right by far the longer time has gone on; wrt solid analytics. Issue is people's understanding of what is actually being presented.

It'd be fine if we were a good running team. We don't want to run more for the sake of running more. That's just mindless.

So, no. I've never been in the boat of just run more. Change it up. Be middle of the pack here; not bottom 3.

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We try to predictably run on 2nd and long more than all but 2 teams.

It's not just about volume. It's about efficiency. That is the name of the game for the NFL these days.

And, the "nerds" have been proven right by far the longer time has gone on; wrt solid analytics. Issue is people's understanding of what is actually being presented.

It'd be fine if we were a good running team. We don't want to run more for the sake of running more. That's just mindless.

So, no. I've never been in the boat of just run more. Change it up. Be middle of the pack here; not bottom 3.

This is all that needs to be said.  Our defense is historically bad and our offense is averaging 30 ppg.  With that said, our defensive DVOA ranking is higher than our offensive DVOA

8 hours ago, Vandy said:

Great points.

The coaches basically had to try pretty ******* hard to lose the past two games. 

Can you imagine being a player? They see it even better than what we’re seeing in the coaching decision making. Morale’s  gotta be at rock bottom in flowery branch right now.

Vandy there must be a lot of lies being told in this pressers saying theres that level of support of the coaches.