McVay Vs. Koetter: Offensive Philodophy

So I hear lots of guys on here defending Koetter when he abandons the run name due to the Falcons being down two scores.  To that I’ve always called BS.  Regardless of score, a team should never become one dimensional.  Here I’ll provide two different philosophies.  

1. Falcons: winning 26-10 with 17 minutes left in regulation Dirk tried to catch Chicago off guard by running just 4 times on its final 4 possessions
  2. Rams: trailing 28-3, McVay remained perfectly balanced on offense which allowed them to take a lead n the 4th quarter

I would make a joke about the running game being ineffective because of Koetter and that's why he'd abandon it, but over 5 yards a pop on the ground and he still wouldn't lean on it to close out a game. 

The playbook should have been run plays only at that point. Especially with how many times Matt got hit. There was just no benefit to passing. You didn't even need big plays. Just run out the clock. I'll take a 1 point win over the loss we just got handed. 

23 minutes ago, vel said:

I would make a joke about the running game being ineffective because of Koetter and that's why he'd abandon it, but over 5 yards a pop on the ground and he still wouldn't lean on it to close out a game. 

The playbook should have been run plays only at that point. Especially with how many times Matt got hit. There was just no benefit to passing. You didn't even need big plays. Just run out the clock. I'll take a 1 point win over the loss we just got handed. 

"Yabut what if we go 3 and out running the ball?"

Well, good thing that didn't happen, huh?  We might have run more time off the clock then.  And maybe it costs the Bears a possession or two.  And then ............ I forgot where I was going with this........

46 minutes ago, vel said:

Just head to twitter right now. DK interview says they weren’t ever in 4 minute offense and felt they needed to “remain aggressive and score another TD”...

Hence the window for not running time down.

Calls out a missed screen to Ito that he wasn’t ready for.

Players did drop the ball but feels way too similar to SB51 in terms of committing to running the clock out; and yes we Did run on them.

He says they went to a 51 Nickel package with a DL on every OL.

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just head to twitter right now. DK interview says they weren’t ever in 4 minute offense and felt they needed to “remain aggressive and score another TD”...

Players did drop the ball but feels way too similar to SB51 in terms of committing to running the clock out; and yes we Did run on them.

Yup....Quinn told him to keep the foot down.....ZERO doubt about that now 

47 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Teams know that we are absolutely sterile and never run on 3rd downs, or if we do the run is for sure going to be 1 yard up the middle. Wish Koetter would do reverses, or tosses sometimes on 3rd down. This is one of the reasons why we cannot chew up clock. 

We did score a 40 yard td running on third and five a believe. 

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Three straight runs with no timeout takes off a guaranteed 120 seconds. That's two minutes. Two three and outs and that's four minutes off the clock in a game that Chicago needed the ball twice two score at least ten points in 6 minutes. One drive took 11 seconds off the clock. In a game they gave up the game winner after the two minute warning. 

It's so ridiculous, the bullshlt excuses they keep pumping out. They dropped the ball as coaches again. A week after they just did the same thing. They clearly didn't learn a dam thing from last week. Why should I believe differently after this week? Stupid. 

**** Dan Quinn and **** Dirk Koetter too. Those 2 losers were made for each other.

I'm sick and tired of having to sit here and listen to good football players take on all the blame for these losses. I'm sick and tired of seeing guys like Grady, Julio, Calvin and Matt saying "This is on us, we have to play better".  Meanwhile, These coaches continue to take absolutely no responsibility for their failure to put the players in the best situations to win these games. They keep passing the blame and making excuse after excuse for why they suck at handling their responsibilities. Fake-*** leaders. Props to Raheem for actually standing up as a coach and saying he failed his guys, but the rest of them can **** right off. Cant wait until I never have to see or hear from any of them ever again. Piss off losers.

Edited by Snafu
5 hours ago, vel said:

Three straight runs with no timeout takes off a guaranteed 120 seconds. That's two minutes. Two three and outs and that's four minutes off the clock in a game that Chicago needed the ball twice two score at least ten points in 6 minutes. One drive took 11 seconds off the clock. In a game they gave up the game winner after the two minute warning. 

It's so ridiculous, the bullshlt excuses they keep pumping out. They dropped the ball as coaches again. A week after they just did the same thing. They clearly didn't learn a dam thing from last week. Why should I believe differently after this week? Stupid. 

Yep, but I feel this comes more from DQ vs Koetter. I feel DQ was like we need a score and Koetter just did what he does. DQ is just clueless in terms of running a game. 28-3. Has a timeout consultant. Can you even imagine that conversation?

"Hi Arthur I need a favor."

"Sure Dan."

"I need you to write a check so we can hire someone to tell me whether or not it's a good idea or not to call a time out."

"Great idea! How much you need?"'

If I were AB I woulda been pulling out a revolver. I'm not joking at all.

7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

"Yabut what if we go 3 and out running the ball?"

Well, good thing that didn't happen, huh?  We might have run more time off the clock then.  And maybe it costs the Bears a possession or two.  And then ............ I forgot where I was going with this........

Simple war of attrition. Our team plays scared with leads.

This is just some BS spin I mentioned this in another thread.

After that BWW INT that was prime run the football territory to ice the game off a short farken field.

Koetter flat out is just a donkey play caller and goes with what he wants.

Like @vel mentioned earlier you can still keep the foot down running the **** football when your averaging 5 yards a farken carry.

I don’t care what the defense is doing in my eyes our playcallers a farken donkey and if I were the owner him and DQ and whoever else can pack there bags.

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is just some BS spin I mentioned this in another thread.

After that BWW INT that was prime run the football territory to ice the game off a short farken field.

Koetter flat out is just a donkey play caller and goes with what he wants.

Like @vel mentioned earlier you can still keep the foot down running the **** football when your averaging 5 yards a farken carry.

I don’t care what the defense is doing in my eyes our playcallers a farken donkey and if I were the owner him and DQ and whoever else can pack there bags.

When your run game lacks imagination, you don't believe you can run it to put it away. 

That's when you dust off the fun. The inside trap, outside zone, jet sweep, toss, power, dive, off tackle. The defense would know I'm running. I wouldn't give a f*ck. Figure out where it's going. Even if he was stopped, like you said, they were ripping off good chunks on the ground. You didn't need points. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

When your run game lacks imagination, you don't believe you can run it to put it away. 

That's when you dust off the fun. The inside trap, outside zone, jet sweep, toss, power, dive, off tackle. The defense would know I'm running. I wouldn't give a f*ck. Figure out where it's going. Even if he was stopped, like you said, they were ripping off good chunks on the ground. You didn't need points. 

This is really what McVay's talent is. It's not purely staying committed to the run. What McVay excels at is running the ball where the defense isn't. Koetter is a bit of a caveman who just runs the same plays to say that he's running the ball and doesn't care what the results are. 

17 hours ago, vel said:

Archer yesterday on 92.9 said he thought this one was on the players.  I rarely disagree with him, but I honestly don't know what game he was watching.  Yes, the players had some opportunities.  But the staff basically schemed them to a big lead and then did everything they could to even the playing field so Chicago would have a chance to win.  They literally handed them the ball game on a platter.

He talked about putting your players in a position to make plays and the players missing tackles, dropping balls, blah, blah, blah.  But he didn't talk about the basic mechanics of 4th quarter offensive football with a lead, which are 1) burn clock, and 2) if you can, score points, even field goals if necessary.

The first precedes the second in importance by orders of magnitude.  Giving the other team more possessions in the 4th quarter and then blaming the players for not playing perfectly strikes me as........sorry.........dumb.  Maybe they missed some plays.  But the defense shouldn't have had to defend a whole lot of those plays to begin with.

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

This is really what McVay's talent is. It's not purely staying committed to the run. What McVay excels at is running the ball where the defense isn't. Koetter is a bit of a caveman who just runs the same plays to say that he's running the ball and doesn't care what the results are. 

He's good at giving you a lot to think about. That's the biggest problem with both of our schemes. That's why they lose late. The Bears were sending pressure early and often, so when it was late, they didn't have to because the Falcons believed it was possible. When you believe the opponent can run it everywhere, you try to cover for it, but you realistically just can't. But if I know it's always going to be between the tackles, just bottle it up. It's so basic. 

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Archer yesterday on 92.9 said he thought this one was on the players.  I rarely disagree with him, but I honestly don't know what game he was watching.  Yes, the players had some opportunities.  But the staff basically schemed them to a big lead and then did everything they could to even the playing field so Chicago would have a chance to win.  They literally handed them the ball game on a platter.

He talked about putting your players in a position to make plays and the players missing tackles, dropping balls, blah, blah, blah.  But he didn't talk about the basic mechanics of 4th quarter offensive football with a lead, which are 1) burn clock, and 2) if you can, score points, even field goals if necessary.

The first precedes the second in importance by orders of magnitude.  Giving the other team more possessions in the 4th quarter and then blaming the players for not playing perfectly strikes me as........sorry.........dumb.  Maybe they missed some plays.  But the defense shouldn't have had to defend a whole lot of those plays to begin with.

Yep. When you have a 16 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock and you don't believe a four minute offense is worth going to, that's coaching. You have to factor player error in this situation. You have the lead. A strong lead. Assume every pass will be an incomplete pass. Only pass if you HAVE to. Even then, make them high percentage shots. Those deep shots were so unnecessary. It's exactly what they did in the SB. It's DQ's thing. He doesn't know what "stay aggressive" means. What he does is get stupid. You can wear a team out staying aggressive but eating clock.

These coaches are just stupid. Plain and simple. 

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. When you have a 16 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock and you don't believe a four minute offense is worth going to, that's coaching. You have to factor player error in this situation. You have the lead. A strong lead. Assume every pass will be an incomplete pass. Only pass if you HAVE to. Even then, make them high percentage shots. Those deep shots were so unnecessary. It's exactly what they did in the SB. It's DQ's thing. He doesn't know what "stay aggressive" means. What he does is get stupid. You can wear a team out staying aggressive but eating clock.

These coaches are just stupid. Plain and simple. 

It isn't aggressive to throw when you need to burn clock.  It's stupid.

It's like going into American Top Team and taking a swing at Junior Dos Santos, and then when someone says "that was dumb," saying "well, we wanted to stay aggressive."

But our offense isn’t the problem wake me up.

We are offensively built yet can’t score when we need to score or close out games.

We are just a pass heavy rinse wash repeat.

Thats it Run Game is just a phrase like fast & physical.Its ******** embarrassment.Guys like Koetter don’t deserve talent all he’s doing is scheming it into the ground like hot pile of cow turd.

But but Ryan still threw it for 4500 yards this season for a 4-12 record.What looks good on the resume wins or your stats.