POLL - Should Matt Ryan Be an Atlanta Falcon in 2021?

Should Matt Ryan Be an Atlanta Falcon in 2021?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Matt Ryan Be an Atlanta Falcon in 2021?

• Yes
    • No

Do you believe Matt Ryan should be around next year?

We may be too contractually-obligated to easily move him.

Carolina determined last year it was time to get rid of Cam and did so successfully.

You may be convinced that all we need to do is draft Trevor Lawrence to win the SuperBowl in early 2022.

Of course, the success rate on 1st round QB's is not exactly 100%.

Then again, the Jaguars succeeded with finding a starter with a late round pick.

Another veteran could maybe be brought in - could the Packers be ready to let Rodgers go like the Patriots with Brady?

Could we consider Benkert well-learned by now to consider him for a starting job?

So, to put it simple, do you believe that Matt Ryan's days in Atlanta are over and we should move onto a new team.

First off there is ZERO chance the team gets rid of Ryan to bring in another vet. once again, ZERO.

now if they are indeed bad enough for the top pick to draft a guy #1, maybe Ryan goes. But the scenarios where Ryan is no longer a Falcons are slim.

that said, big Matt Ryan fan but I still wonder if the team just needs cleansed, even if certain players aren’t directly to blame...just a full on reboot. This is my first time pondering this scenario.

this should get entertaining. I will hang up and listen. :munch:

I am one of the biggest MR fans. I am grateful he was drafted, and I am extremely appreciative of his toughness, grace, and play for the majority of his time in the ATL. However, this team needs restructured, and it is time for him to move onto greener pastures. I would like nothing more than him to go somewhere else and lead them to a Super Bowl. He's getting up there, and this turn around is going to take to long for him to be productive when they finally do get it straightened. out.

3 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

How many Colts fans ever expected Peyton to go elsewhere?

How many Pats fans really wanted Brady to leave?

How many Panthers fans considered Cam a fixture 2 years ago but wished him away last year?

I get it. But Manning had a career threatening injury. Brady is 42. Plus the colts had Luck waiting right there.

If for some reason the Falcons somehow have the 1st overall pick and Lawrence is there? Ok yea, Ryan is likely done. But do you really believe that’s going to happen? 

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I get it. But Manning had a career threatening injury. Brady is 42. Plus the colts had Luck waiting right there.

If for some reason the Falcons somehow have the 1st overall pick and Lawrence is there? Ok yea, Ryan is likely done. But do you really believe that’s going to happen? 

No, I don't think that'll happen.  I think we win JUST ENOUGH games to knock us out of the first draft pick.  Sound familiar?!?!?!  Besides, Lawrence couldn't come in and start immediately, imo....he'd need some amount of time to get acclimated to the NFL --- therefore, Ryan would be our QB for at least one more season!

10 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Even if that does happen, you don’t just take a QB because he is there.

How many times the #1 QB off the board is the best pick the last several years?

This mentality of “no choice” is really narrow minded; he has to pass what Atlanta would look for in scouting.

I’d rather trade down and rebuild the defense with multiple first rounders.

2 minutes ago, apl2g said:

i find it really hard to believe that some fans think matt ryan is a problem on this team. he may not have the strongest arm in the world, but he is a darn good qb and the least of their problems. 

Actually, I find that polls bring out the true sentiment of this board - a few anti-Ryan threads and suddenly it seems like he is being pushed out the door but in reality it is only a couple of opinions being posted.

I’m not an apologist or blind loyalist for MR but to even consider this given his body of work would be worse than throwing the proverbial “baby out w bath water”.  The man has some bone head moments but he’s still better than 85% of league QBs (I’m being conservative here). He’s not why we’re 0-3.  He’s contributed w poor play occasionally but he carries this team way more than he hurts them. Just mho for what it’s worth!  I have no problem improving this roster and there should be no sacred cows but I just do not see us finding a better replacement for 2021.  

33 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

First off there is ZERO chance the team gets rid of Ryan to bring in another vet. once again, ZERO.

now if they are indeed bad enough for the top pick to draft a guy #1, maybe Ryan goes. But the scenarios where Ryan is no longer a Falcons are slim.

that said, big Matt Ryan fan but I still wonder if the team just needs cleansed, even if certain players aren’t directly to blame...just a full on reboot. This is my first time pondering this scenario.

this should get entertaining. I will hang up and listen. :munch:

We'd take a 3.525 cap hit increase to trade Ryan after 2020, and a 200K increase if we were to trade Julio. Cutting either is not happening because of how much of their 2021 salaries are guaranteed.

That being said, I'm finding it very hard to see how we're going to be competitive next season, even with a high pick. The cap will be around 175, and we're going to have to cut multiple starters to get under, and fit our draft class. Unless our new coaches and GM are just magicians and the best the NFL has ever seen, I'm just not confident that we can field much of a team next year.

For that reason, I have serious concerns about us being able to fix our issues before Ryan has seriously lost a step. At that point, we'd also be a situation where we both, can no longer trade him, and, are not drafting high enough to have our choice of QB.

All that makes me (assuming we have a top pick) seriously consider just going full scorched earth rebuild, trade some combination of Ryan, Julio, and/or Matthews, clear the books, take your top QB and a few pieces with your picks, accept that you won't be winning in 2021 anyway, and take the 2021 cap hits, and then in 2022 when the cap goes back up and the dead cap is off the books, grab key FAs, and make your bid.

All of this is highly speculative obviously, but the situation as thus is really causing me to consider it.

Personally, I want to see new GM and HC come in and let them do what they do.  

I'm much more concerned about getting DQ the **** out of Flowery Branch, sanitizing the place, and getting a knew regime in the building.  If this team had a head coach that new what he was doing and a consistent, respectable defense I don't believe we'd be having this debate.

That said, as I mentioned above, as long as we have the right people in the building, let them do what they think is right to build the team how they want.  No more bringing in people to pretend like they're someone else.

55 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

How many Colts fans ever expected Peyton to go elsewhere?

How many Pats fans really wanted Brady to leave?

How many Panthers fans considered Cam a fixture 2 years ago but wished him away last year?

During Peyton's last year as a Colt (the one that  he was on IR the whole year) the Falcons played against the Colts in Indianapolis.  Anyways, there were Colts fans there in Andrew Luck jerseys even though they had not drafted him  and Peyton was still a Colt. 

I am not trying to contradict or prove you wrong.  That just reminded me of it.  

6 minutes ago, wuskillzz said:

During Peyton's last year as a Colt (the one that  he was on IR the whole year) the Falcons played against the Colts in Indianapolis.  Anyways, there were Colts fans there in Andrew Luck jerseys even though they had not drafted him  and Peyton was still a Colt. 

I am not trying to contradict or prove you wrong.  That just reminded me of it.  

He was just a quick example-there have been plenty of instances of teams dropping veteran QB's for the glamorous rookie.

Even our opponent yesterday is a great example - Foles is now the starter for Chicago while Trubisky is wishing for another town.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Even if that does happen, you don’t just take a QB because he is there.

How many times the #1 QB off the board is the best pick the last several years?

This mentality of “no choice” is really narrow minded; he has to pass what Atlanta would look for in scouting.

I’d rather trade down and rebuild the defense with multiple first rounders.

I would personally take Lawrence or Fields if they are there