Jump to content

What will Blank do? History as an owner and Business experience dictate thought process


Recommended Posts

As emotionally draining as the last 2 weeks have been, good business decisions shouldn't be dictated by an emotional response.  Blank has done this previously as an owner, and if you follow his business decision making, he didn't do this as an executive leader with Home Depot.  Which means, he is going to make decisions based on what he thinks will make an impact to the bottom line, and not something that is based on emotion.  

With this in mind, at the earliest, Blank won't make any changes until the bye week at the earliest....Why?  Because any change in the moment, does NOT make us better, and he knows this.  We have the same coordinators, same position coaches, and there isn't going to be a new coach brought in on during the middle of the year, as some have suggested.  Opposed to popular belief, the players are just as responsible for the loses as any coaching, including the higher paid players.  But, there isn't one group to point the finger at that as the primary culprit.

With that being said, Blank will wait this out until the bye week to see how things play out.  He will have contingency plans of course, ready to pull the trigger and do his due diligence prior to this time.  BUT, if we get to the bye within two games of the division lead, and 5 games left to play against the NFC South, don't be surprised if things stay the same.  Will the Falcons need to win the next 5 of 6....yes.  But, the division is leader at week 9 may be 6-3, which isn't too far out of arms length.

Not advocating one way or the other, or saying it's possible, but trying to outline a his decision making process using Blank's past as a guide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’d have to make a 6-0 run.  I think you May be correct but if I’m AB I look at it thru opposite lens....this team won’t be any worse w coordinators running it.  We’re winless!   This club isn’t going to make a deep run and even if by chance it did rest assured they’ll choke!   Nothing good is going to come from keeping DQ except more ill will and apathy from anyone remotely engaged with this team.  The atmosphere has become toxic.  You could see it on field and sidelines.  They’re all infected w this disease that is “Quinning”.   The slogans, the brotherhood/cozy environment, lack of accountability and lack of urgency combined w a lack of administrative org and competent coaching......the very worst combinations for any org.  Change it now or keep breathing the bad fumes.....his choice obv.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched this team for 47 years.

Sometimes it's good, usually not. 

Often they break your heart.  

They've been cardiac winners and then huge chokers, for various reasons.

I thought I had seen it all in LI.

But I've never seen them look like they do now...a team that is assured to lose no matter what. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, octoslash said:

I've watched this team for 47 years.

Sometimes it's good, usually not. 

Often they break your heart.  

They've been cardiac winners and then huge chokers, for various reasons.

I thought I had seen it all in LI.

But I've never seen them look like they do now...a team that is assured to lose no matter what. 

You know if the fans know that the choke is coming, the team **** well knows it too. This team has been damaged goods since SBLI. Should have been whole sale changes at the end of 2018. The shelf life of this regime is way past it's due date.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying, "burn it down" or "stay the course", I just think Blank's thought process will at the very least wait til the bye before making any changes.  If somehow the chips fall in a certain way, and the Falcons are a game out of first in the South, it will be interesting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

I think Blank doesnt want to fire Quinn right away. I feel like he is going to be pressured (if he hasnt already) to pull the plug on The Quinn Era. 

Let's make no mistake, Blank isn't pressured by the Atlanta Falcons fan base.....they don't show up for games in general, so it's not like he's fighting a huge contingent of nation wide fans that won't buy the product if it doesn't meet some criteria.  In the grand scheme of things, the Falcon fans show up if wins show up.  There isn't really any blowback if we lose 3 games or 10 games, since the fans only come out when we have 10 wins.  As a 40 year Falcon fan I wish it was different, but the "home" team fans don't really carry a large hammer.  And this isn't a recent phenomenon, even with the Falcons being relevant over the last decade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’d think Artie would get tired of losing! First and continuing, TheAtlanta Falcons, now the three stripes seemingly are following in the footsteps of the birds. Perhaps since the Falcons are assured by the NFL not to lose money, he no longer enjoys winning...just keep making money. 
 

I’m thinking, there is nothing more humiliating that a premature celebratory dance that fizzles on national tv to realize, it’s just entertainment and you lose the zest that drives your to the passion for the game. Arthur regrouped, wrote a book and now, well, it’s another money making venture, nothing more! Quinn lived on...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, broken sparrow said:

You’d think Artie would get tired of losing! First and continuing, TheAtlanta Falcons, now the three stripes seemingly are following in the footsteps of the birds. Perhaps since the Falcons are assured by the NFL not to lose money, he no longer enjoys winning...just keep making money. 
 

I’m thinking, there is nothing more humiliating that a premature celebratory dance that fizzles on national tv to realize, it’s just entertainment and you lose the zest that drives your to the passion for the game. Arthur regrouped, wrote a book and now, well, it’s another money making venture, nothing more! Quinn lived on...

Prime example why Artie is part of the problem 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blutarski said:

Let's make no mistake, Blank isn't pressured by the Atlanta Falcons fan base.....they don't show up for games in general, so it's not like he's fighting a huge contingent of nation wide fans that won't buy the product if it doesn't meet some criteria.  In the grand scheme of things, the Falcon fans show up if wins show up.  There isn't really any blowback if we lose 3 games or 10 games, since the fans only come out when we have 10 wins.  As a 40 year Falcon fan I wish it was different, but the "home" team fans don't really carry a large hammer.  And this isn't a recent phenomenon, even with the Falcons being relevant over the last decade.

Absolutely right. 

If this were Philly, fans would be ready to burn the team headquarters to the ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blutarski said:

As emotionally draining as the last 2 weeks have been, good business decisions shouldn't be dictated by an emotional response.  Blank has done this previously as an owner, and if you follow his business decision making, he didn't do this as an executive leader with Home Depot.  Which means, he is going to make decisions based on what he thinks will make an impact to the bottom line, and not something that is based on emotion.  

With this in mind, at the earliest, Blank won't make any changes until the bye week at the earliest....Why?  Because any change in the moment, does NOT make us better, and he knows this.  We have the same coordinators, same position coaches, and there isn't going to be a new coach brought in on during the middle of the year, as some have suggested.  Opposed to popular belief, the players are just as responsible for the loses as any coaching, including the higher paid players.  But, there isn't one group to point the finger at that as the primary culprit.

With that being said, Blank will wait this out until the bye week to see how things play out.  He will have contingency plans of course, ready to pull the trigger and do his due diligence prior to this time.  BUT, if we get to the bye within two games of the division lead, and 5 games left to play against the NFC South, don't be surprised if things stay the same.  Will the Falcons need to win the next 5 of 6....yes.  But, the division is leader at week 9 may be 6-3, which isn't too far out of arms length.

Not advocating one way or the other, or saying it's possible, but trying to outline a his decision making process using Blank's past as a guide.

I agree with you bro. I think Blank probably believes his team is close and still has a chance to go at least 9-7 and get to the playoffs. If that's the case the soonest he will fire Quinn is after his 8th loss which would be on 10/29 at the earliest. 

And for all the TATF fire him now whiners, who would replace him? Kutty, Morris, Ulbrich, Knapp or Sutton? All the other pipe dreams I'm seeing like Harbaugh, Roman, Zimmer, Bienemy and McDaniels won't be available until at least January.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

We’d have to make a 6-0 run.  I think you May be correct but if I’m AB I look at it thru opposite lens....this team won’t be any worse w coordinators running it.  We’re winless!   This club isn’t going to make a deep run and even if by chance it did rest assured they’ll choke!   Nothing good is going to come from keeping DQ except more ill will and apathy from anyone remotely engaged with this team.  The atmosphere has become toxic.  You could see it on field and sidelines.  They’re all infected w this disease that is “Quinning”.   The slogans, the brotherhood/cozy environment, lack of accountability and lack of urgency combined w a lack of administrative org and competent coaching......the very worst combinations for any org.  Change it now or keep breathing the bad fumes.....his choice obv.  

I have to say there is absolutely no point in keeping Quinn in place as from a statistical standpoint, the Falcons are already completley out of the play-off picture.

zuvAJf59JyhRKYM1mvx4FGf7oGAg3PZoWMgkWSGc

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, blutarski said:

Let's make no mistake, Blank isn't pressured by the Atlanta Falcons fan base.....they don't show up for games in general, so it's not like he's fighting a huge contingent of nation wide fans that won't buy the product if it doesn't meet some criteria.

He priced out the real fans with the PSLs, and he doesn't have a national following because the team is a national punchline and hasn't won anything.  This is just a business for him, so I doubt he cares other than bragging rights with his billionaire buddies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, supercollider said:

He priced out the real fans with the PSLs, and he doesn't have a national following because the team is a national punchline and hasn't won anything.  This is just a business for him, so I doubt he cares other than bragging rights with his billionaire buddies.

While I agree the PSL's did create a different dynamic with fans to get to games, the Atlanta Falcon fan base didn't show up unless the team was winning, for the last 30 years.  A lot of fans will say, "why would I show up, if the team isn't winning", which is exactly why Atlanta sports fans are one of the worst within the 4 big sports leagues.  But, the PSL's are a way of life for any new arena, so it wasn't like Blank was doing something out of the ordinary.  

Now, the statement this is just a business for him, I would disagree.  He has always been emotionally invested into the franchise since day one, and he has lived the ups and downs with the fans.  If you think he is an "at arms length" owner, just counting dollars, there is a lot of evidence to counteract that thought.  With that said, he has structured his organization like a business and he has made decisions based on what has made him successful in the past, which is to look at all sides of a problem to see what changes will and won't make positive changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blank will keep DQ around in the HC role through this season and through next season (2021).  At the end of 2021 season if the Kins do not make it to at least a wild card game post season he will feel the need to act because merchandising and media rights revenue will fall below his operational objectives.  To clarify, if Falcons make it to at least a wild card slot even if they lose that game, DQ will be safe through another year and would likely be safe for at least 2 more years.  

Blank's only path to eventually making a legitimate play to postseason is to make a sweeping change that must include Quinn (obvious) and Thomas Dimitroff.  Then he needs to use NFL qualified consultants to hire a fully vetted GM, let that GM hire the HC, let that HC hire the coaching staff, DC, OC, SS, etc.  What Blank needs to do in order for the Falcons to succeed is to allow and enable a culture change.  Firing Quinn is an essential part of that, he is fully incompetent.  But just firing DQ and replacing him with anybody else, even if you think really big, won't make a substantive difference unless there is a top-down mandate to change the culture.  Falcons gotta lose because that's who they are, that's what they believe, that is what the coaches believe, that is what the fans believe.  

I'm a fan and I have been since I remember (1972) and will be a fan as long as I am breathing.  But the Falcons are 7-9 next year unless Blank changes Blank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not get the reasoning that firing Quinn won't improve anything. Yes this year is lost interns of winning the Lombardi, but do we need to waste a whole year of player development? I would fire DQ and TD to ensure a clean slate. I would then appoint Bob Sutton for the rest of the year and ask him concentrate on player development especially of our your secondary.

If we are going to lose another game, let it be because we are not a good team not because we cannot make simple decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blutarski said:

While I agree the PSL's did create a different dynamic with fans to get to games, the Atlanta Falcon fan base didn't show up unless the team was winning, for the last 30 years.  A lot of fans will say, "why would I show up, if the team isn't winning", which is exactly why Atlanta sports fans are one of the worst within the 4 big sports leagues.  But, the PSL's are a way of life for any new arena, so it wasn't like Blank was doing something out of the ordinary.  

Now, the statement this is just a business for him, I would disagree.  He has always been emotionally invested into the franchise since day one, and he has lived the ups and downs with the fans.  If you think he is an "at arms length" owner, just counting dollars, there is a lot of evidence to counteract that thought.  With that said, he has structured his organization like a business and he has made decisions based on what has made him successful in the past, which is to look at all sides of a problem to see what changes will and won't make positive changes.

Considering the lack of success of this team (all the teams in this city, really), Atlanta has some of the best fans, but Blank's decision to price most of us out is only going to contimue to hurt attendance.  He didn't have to issue PSL's at those price points, or for every seat (they originally said every seat wouldn't have one: they lied), or at all, but he wanted the money, despite saying he wanted "the population inside the stadium to reflect the population outside the stadium."

High-priced concessions are a way of life in pro sports, but he pats himself on the back for "revolutionizing" that with cheap hot dogs, mainly thanks to price-gouging on tickets, notably for only the long-suffering football fans and not the Johnny-come-lately soccer fans who got low prices and and a brand new stadium thanks to Blank fleecing Falcons fans.

Blank only cares about his money and his legacy, despite the ruse that he's "just as mad as the fans" when the team loses, and given his resources and talent, he's been a lackluster stewart of the franchise by refusing to fire his buddies in the front office.

Edited by supercollider
Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole reason for hiring Dan Quinn in the first place was he was this defensive guru who would shore up our defense to go along with our offense.

We have always been stacked on offense and no problems scoring points. We had our franchise QB in place the best WR in football at the time and he NEVER could do what he was hired to do in fact it’s gotten worse and now I believe we are dead last defensively in every category.

I don’t know what Arthur could be thinking. Quinn came here and failed to put a defense on the field to win and close out games. **** Arthur wake up and move on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...