Here's what I don't get. It seems like every time this happens, (Post Rankin Smith days) We bring in the savior new coach (es) and make a heck of a run either close to or into the Superbowl. Something always jacks it up though, and our Falcons never recover. Thoughts on this please as I have been watching this happen since Fulton County Stadium was first built and the scenery ain't changed after all these years! Thanks! BD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure you understand how owning a team works.

Arthur has to be wondering what the default rate on those PSLs will be. I feel sorry for the people that got duped into those.

all we have are failed former head coaches as our staff, what makes you think anyone of them will turn things around.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

Blank is an old man - he is going to look for a short term option to solve current problems.  He does not have time in his life for a 4 or 5 year turnaround with a new GM, new HC, new QB, and totally new team.  Blank is not like Liberty Media owners who consider 10 years a reasonable time frame for a rebuild.

Blank may be at the point where firing Quinn is unquestionable, but a massive cleansing of all we know of the current Falcons is not going to happen unless Blank lives up to his name.

If Blank would go hire someone w successful nfl pedigree as a consultant we could begin an immediate and strategic rebuild around core players.  Let one of our coordinators  finish season but have list ready for interviews for director of operations, GM and HC/staff ASAP. Ensure philosophies are in sync re who stays/goes, scouting, development and retool on fly.  This isn’t building a rocket.  We have talent but need to augment better w attention to details and a consistently coordinated philosophy from the very top down to the new coordinators.  Everyone should know our ID and basic formula week to week.  Case in point I bet few could agree w what we’re even trying to do from unit to unit rt now on given week.  Let’s get on with it!!!!!

17 hours ago, supercollider said:

My point is he's not above blame for the teams' problems, mainly in the eyes of the fans.  It's past time for him to name a successor to be the face of ownership, but his kids are too young.

I agree some of the blame falls on him, but there aren’t many owners that bat 100.  The best stretch in franchise history has by far been under Blank.  For the most part he makes level headed decisions, and ones that make sense.  Do they always work out?  No.  But I would rather have that than an owner who makes knee jerk, emotional decisions and scares away top candidates.  

Let’s not forget Quinn was considered the top guy when we hired him, he was by far the most successful of the head coaches hired that year as well.  Should he have moved on?  I was on the fence when last year ended, this year it has shown so far it’s pretty clear he should have.  

But again, as much as I’m ready to move on, most top candidates aren’t wanting to work for an owner who is willing to pull the trigger three weeks into the season.  We don’t want anyone currently in staff as the next HC, so what good does firing him now do realistically vs waiting other than please fans short term?  We have a week 10 bye, that would give the team an extra week to adjust to new voice/message, my guess is if we are under .500, he’s gone, but who knows.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:57 PM, jlrfalcon said:

Blank is an old man - he is going to look for a short term option to solve current problems.  He does not have time in his life for a 4 or 5 year turnaround with a new GM, new HC, new QB, and totally new team.  Blank is not like Liberty Media owners who consider 10 years a reasonable time frame for a rebuild.

Blank may be at the point where firing Quinn is unquestionable, but a massive cleansing of all we know of the current Falcons is not going to happen unless Blank lives up to his name.

He is 78 years old.  He has time.  He can enjoy a championship in a wheel chair as much as he can hunched over in a funeral parlor suit.

17 hours ago, Rings said:

I agree some of the blame falls on him, but there aren’t many owners that bat 100.  The best stretch in franchise history has by far been under Blank.  For the most part he makes level headed decisions, and ones that make sense.  Do they always work out?  No.  But I would rather have that than an owner who makes knee jerk, emotional decisions and scares away top candidates.  

Let’s not forget Quinn was considered the top guy when we hired him, he was by far the most successful of the head coaches hired that year as well.  Should he have moved on?  I was on the fence when last year ended, this year it has shown so far it’s pretty clear he should have.  

But again, as much as I’m ready to move on, most top candidates aren’t wanting to work for an owner who is willing to pull the trigger three weeks into the season.  We don’t want anyone currently in staff as the next HC, so what good does firing him now do realistically vs waiting other than please fans short term?  We have a week 10 bye, that would give the team an extra week to adjust to new voice/message, my guess is if we are under .500, he’s gone, but who knows.

Firing a guy in Week 3 after back-to-back 7-9's and an historic Superbowl choke is hardly a knee-jerk reaction 😆

1 hour ago, supercollider said:

Firing a guy in Week 3 after back-to-back 7-9's and an historic Superbowl choke is hardly a knee-jerk reaction 😆

It’s literally the definition of a knee jerk reaction.  You had enough confidence for him to be your coach for the entire season so much that you didn’t bring anyone else in.  If anything changes your mind from on the field performance by week three, it’s a knee jerk reaction.  Super bowl collapse was 4 years ago. Yes it matters, likely a lot more to us fans that others around the league, but firing a coach by the third week means 1) admitting you made a terrible choice and just wasted an entire season, 2) make future candidates worried about job security before they even get here.  

Should Quinn be gone?  Yes.  
Does it make much sense to fire him right now, going into Week 4, when you can’t bring someone new in until the end of the year?  No.  
Would I prefer Quinn as HC over Dirk as interim?  Yes.

All of those things can be true.  Firing him today makes fans happy, that’s it.  It does nothing for the team because you are just going to promote someone from within and have the same issues, if not more.

Hireing a 2021 HC now is not good timing. Most good HCs or GMs are on teams still playing.  It might be a good idea to move Quinn to anougher job title or fire him.  Put someone in for this year.  This would take off some national media heat as well as local fan anger.

Thing 1 is money talks. AB will look for change when merch and media falls below target. When the Falcons fan base drops off there will be fewer network spots. That will make a quicker impact than fans complaining. 

Thing 2 is I'd like to be his friend. I want to come home and if I were friends with AB maybe I could be a coach. I don’t need to be HC. I could be happy coaching Specials or DB or anything really. What fun. I’m not qualified but that doesn’t stop Ben Kotwica. I can’t promise 12-4 but it’s know I could do better than 0-3, going on 0-4. What do you say, Mr. Blank?  Can I have a job?

On 9/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, Rings said:

Not sure you understand how owning a team works.

Maybe he’s got a point. Blank should fire Blank from being an active hands on owner. Hire a guy (other than McKay) to run the team and make decisions and absolve himself from all that and just show up on game day. Or is that what he’s doing now?

1 hour ago, TheShadow said:

Hireing a 2021 HC now is not good timing. Most good HCs or GMs are on teams still playing.  It might be a good idea to move Quinn to anougher job title or fire him.  Put someone in for this year.  This would take off some national media heat as well as local fan anger.

That’s the way most teams approach it. Fire him and appoint an interim. Tell the interim if he runs the table and turns it around he will be considered along with other outside candidates for the permanent job next season. 

On 9/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, Trump MAGA said:

Maybe he’s got a point. Blank should fire Blank from being an active hands on owner. Hire a guy (other than McKay) to run the team and make decisions and absolve himself from all that and just show up on game day. Or is that what he’s doing now?

Blank is seen a lot, up top or sidelines, but he is hands off more than most owners.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, NCFalconfan said:

Arthur has to be wondering what the default rate on those PSLs will be. I feel sorry for the people that got duped into those.

Those PSL's were a low-down, dirty deal to begin with. Glorified thievery. Blank should be ashamed. Why billionaires want to squeeze their customers until they bleed is beyond me.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, PokerSteve said:

Those PSL's were a low-down, dirty deal to begin with. Glorified thievery. Blank should be ashamed. Why billionaires want to squeeze their customers until they bleed is beyond me.

So that they can remain billionaires?

On 9/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, Trump MAGA said:

That’s the way most teams approach it. Fire him and appoint an interim. Tell the interim if he runs the table and turns it around he will be considered along with other outside candidates for the permanent job next season. 

That is what should have happened last year.  They tore the team apart during the offseason....Free agency did not help.  Cap space issues always squeeze us into corners.  We will not get a decent shot at a new HC until end of the season as teams get eliminated.  

Now we see what game 4 brings.  By week is week 10.  Can we endure 7 more weeks of the DQ circus and tap dance.  His post pressers are really just a rerun of excuses and empty promises at this point. Will we go on another miraculous win streak?.... will we win 10 games?  I will believe it when I see it.

But make no mistake.  We need changes at the top.  Everyone knows it but the guys running this clown car called the Falcons.