I'm not a high score, shootout guy. Whatever everyone else is doing, you have to counter with the opposite. It wont win every game, but you'll have a great chance. 

Focus on these three things in order. Safeties (both), run game, LBs. 

Next year is likely it with this high score offensive personnel, but without a defense they aren't getting a chance. Throw me any excuse and it'll make no sense. 

Do that and play to win on both sides for 4 quarters. We play to not lose and have since I can remember. That's our identity. The things that worked best for us to make up for the defense is gone. 

1 minute ago, marvinthemartian said:

Some things never change....run the ball well, control both lines of scrimmage and play good defense. See Dilfer, Trent, SB winning QB who had a team who did those three things well. 

Dilfer reminds me of Chance the gardener from Being There. 

Walking through success upon success without a clue

When your defense sucks and ours does, you had better be able to run the ball and win TOP or you are going to get slapped a lot of games. It takes patience and discipline and the Falcons have neither.

Now facing a Bears team with a good defense already down 0-2 its a must win. 

We wont have another game where we have a 3 turnover advantage this year. 

As usual, you are on point.  Would still kick the tires on ET despite the baggage...but the Falcons won’t, and seeing as how we have no safeties on the roster for 2021 except Hawkins (Rico gets cut), we will go safety early and often next year.  If we were smart, Winfield, Dugger or Delpit would be on our 2020 roster.  But they aren’t.  But some guys I like at safety:

1. Paris Ford (2nd round): ball hawking FS who hits like a truck.  Incredible instincts.  Looks like Jamal Addams here.  2 INT’s already this year 
  2. Caden Stearns: had a nice pick today.  The most natural safety in this draft.  High floor, high ceiling
  3. LaCounte: 4 INT’s in his last 2 games

I would not mind doubling down on RB this year:

1. Early Round: Chuba Hubbard: 5’10, 210 lbs and likely 4.3 speed.   Henry Ruggs was considered the fastest player in nation last year.  He ran a 10.58 100 meter.  Chuba ran a 10.55 100 in high school.  

1. Mid Round: Kylin Hill - after rushing for nearly 1,400 yards last year, he showed off his ability as a receiver today going off for 8 catches and 158 yards.  Great complimentary player next to Hubbard
48 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

When your defense sucks and ours does, you had better be able to run the ball and win TOP or you are going to get slapped a lot of games. It takes patience and discipline and the Falcons have neither.

Now facing a Bears team with a good defense already down 0-2 its a must win. 

We wont have another game where we have a 3 turnover advantage this year. 

That is why the Falcons were so good in the early years under Smitty. Or I should say that is why the defensive numbers looked so good. The offense ran the ball and controlled the flow of the game that kept a bad defense from being exposed. But that didn't work in the playoffs, hence the 1-5 playoff record. The 2008-2010 Falcons were so much run to watch when they were imposing their will on the opponent. The whole Ryan deal "you can't ******* stop it!!" They couldn't.

This is the main reason Jim Harbaugh is my #1 choice for a coach. Harbaugh would bring back the style of football I want to see.

Since DQ and TD have been drafting together, they have used the following draft assets on defense:

1: 4

2: 5

3: 1

4: 5

5: 3

6: 1

7: 1

That's six years of drafting and 20 of 38 picks on defense. 9 first or second round picks in 6 years. That is proof of terrible drafting and development.

What I want is competant people doing the drafting and developing

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I'm not a high score, shootout guy. Whatever everyone else is doing, you have to counter with the opposite. It wont win every game, but you'll have a great chance. 

Focus on these three things in order. Safeties (both), run game, LBs. 

Next year is likely it with this high score offensive personnel, but without a defense they aren't getting a chance. Throw me any excuse and it'll make no sense. 

Do that and play to win on both sides for 4 quarters. We play to not lose and have since I can remember. That's our identity. The things that worked best for us to make up for the defense is gone. 

Allow me to add to what you said...   

The only way we can win is if our offense can keep our defense off the field.   Best way to do that is to run the ball..... but our primary back has been ineffective, for whatever reason.

For every one good thing our defensive front six has done, our secondary has done three bad things.   Maybe more.   Dallas started two UDFA's at OT.   Where was the pass rush?

I see too many defenders giving very lackadaisical efforts out there.  Do our players on defense even care? 

49 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Allow me to add to what you said...   

The only way we can win is if our offense can keep our defense off the field.   Best way to do that is to run the ball..... but our primary back has been ineffective, for whatever reason.

For every one good thing our defensive front six has done, our secondary has done three bad things.   Maybe more.   Dallas started two UDFA's at OT.   Where was the pass rush?

I see too many defenders giving very lackadaisical efforts out there.  Do our players on defense even care? 

Are we designed that way

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That is why the Falcons were so good in the early years under Smitty. Or I should say that is why the defensive numbers looked so good. The offense ran the ball and controlled the flow of the game that kept a bad defense from being exposed. But that didn't work in the playoffs, hence the 1-5 playoff record. The 2008-2010 Falcons were so much run to watch when they were imposing their will on the opponent. The whole Ryan deal "you can't ******* stop it!!" They couldn't.

This is the main reason Jim Harbaugh is my #1 choice for a coach. Harbaugh would bring back the style of football I want to see.

Not feeling the Harbaugh love.  We need an intelligent organizer that can put a staff together and detail exactly what each person's job is.  

Harbaugh is another "rah-rah", "I am a tough guy" type coach.  

You wanna fix the defense? Fire Bob Sutton. 

This hack has way too much influence over the defensive game plan. It's obvious because over the past two years the team has run exotic and weird defensive schemes that confuse the players on the field. Once they simplify things, like in the second half of last year, they play better. Not sure what Quinn sees in this guy. When the chiefs fired Sutton as DC they jumped to a top 10 defense and a super bowl ring.

16 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Not feeling the Harbaugh love.  We need an intelligent organizer that can put a staff together and detail exactly what each person's job is.  

Harbaugh is another "rah-rah", "I am a tough guy" type coach.  

He’s also been successful pretty much everywhere he’s been and the success has been pretty much instant 

50 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

He’s also been successful pretty much everywhere he’s been and the success has been pretty much instant 

I don't know what Harbaugh could do with this Falcons team as presently put together, but my feelings after five years of Quinn as HC, he couldn't carry Harbaugh's jock strap.

As KOG said, this Falcons team is built on the premise "Play Not To Lose." Unfortunately, playing not to lose is like playing "Prevent" defense. You alter your strategy so radically in playing not to lose, you put your players back on their heels, make them reactive and tentative. This moron strategy makes them feel like they're already losing. 

This idiotic strategy almost makes it impossible to win. We've seen that play out with this football team for five years now. I'm personally sick to death of it. It doesn't work, and I don't think it could ever work. Play to win on both sides of the ball for four quarters. Even if you lose, your fans will at least respect the fact you went for the W instead of trying to avoid the L like a dam coward.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't know what Harbaugh could do with this Falcons team as presently put together, but my feelings after five years of Quinn as HC, he couldn't carry Harbaugh's jock strap.

As KOG said, this Falcons team is built on the premise "Play Not To Lose." Unfortunately, playing not to lose is like playing "Prevent" defense. You alter you strategy so radically in playing not to lose, you put your players back on their heels, make them reactive and tentative. This moron strategy makes them feel like they're already losing. 

This idiotic strategy almost makes it impossible to win. We've seen that play out with this football team for five years now. I'm personally sick to death of it. It doesn't work, and I don't think it could ever work. Play to win on both sides of the ball for four quarters. Even if you lose, your fans will at least respect the fact you went for the W instead of trying to avoid the L like a dam coward.

IF, and that’s a big IF Blank actually hires the right coaching staff and the front office has a good draft, a coach like Harbaugh could win with this roster as early as next season. Need a good draft though and safety has to be addressed. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

IF, and that’s a big IF Blank actually hires the right coaching staff and the front office has a good draft, a coach like Harbaugh could win with this roster as early as next season. Need a good draft though and safety has to be addressed. 

Agree with you, bro. Our core group on offense is good for at least another year or two and we do have some talent on defense. Need safety help and more depth at LB, and our CB's need more game experience, but in my mind we could definitely have a winning team next season....with the right coaching staff in place.

12 hours ago, tbhawksfan said:

Since DQ and TD have been drafting together, they have used the following draft assets on defense:

1: 4

2: 5

3: 1

4: 5

5: 3

6: 1

7: 1

That's six years of drafting and 20 of 38 picks on defense. 9 first or second round picks in 6 years. That is proof of terrible drafting and development.

What I want is competant people doing the drafting and developing

Wasn't this the concern before Quinn came? Seemed like we never invested early round draft capitol in the defense, and the reason why we never had a defense. To say poor development is kinda asinine as well.

At one point, our defense saw what a healthy Keanu Neal could provide. Takk always showed glimpse, and then started this year off like a mad man. Foye was having a DPOY type game before he went down. Not to mention Grady and Debo both came from that same drafting. AJ had a heck of game against Dallas. Sheffield is emerging.

If Jalen Collins could have put the grass down, we probably could have avoided Oliver. The talent is there for once. We just need better execution and like any other team, avoid so many injuries.

Certainly agree with needing a FS though. Allen was more of a stop gap, and brought some success before injuries. Kazee was just fools gold. You see what great safety play can produce when you look at how Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jamal Adams, Anthony Harris, Harrison Smith, Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Devin Mccourty, etc.. impact a defense.

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

As usual, you are on point.  Would still kick the tires on ET despite the baggage...but the Falcons won’t, and seeing as how we have no safeties on the roster for 2021 except Hawkins (Rico gets cut), we will go safety early and often next year.  If we were smart, Winfield, Dugger or Delpit would be on our 2020 roster.  But they aren’t.  But some guys I like at safety:

1. Paris Ford (2nd round): ball hawking FS who hits like a truck.  Incredible instincts.  Looks like Jamal Addams here.  2 INT’s already this year 
  2. Caden Stearns: had a nice pick today.  The most natural safety in this draft.  High floor, high ceiling
  3. LaCounte: 4 INT’s in his last 2 games

In this particular case, I don't think the problem is the "Jimmy's and Joe's", it's the X's and O's. DQ's defense has had plenty of top flight talent over the years and has almost always underachieved no matter who was playing. When the success of your "scheme" depends on world class athletic ability and speed from your players to execute, (I have the word scheme in quotes because it's arguably not one) it's going to fail more than one that can be 'morphed' to cover your weaknesses and cause indecision with the offense. 

I think we fans have a tendency to blame offensive troubles on the scheme and defensive troubles on the personnel. It seems only natural based upon the lopsided spending on the different sides of the ball but the Falcons have plenty of talent on defense to operate well if they would scheme the defense to fit the personnel instead of trying to make the personnel fit the "scheme". 

43 minutes ago, Jesus said:

You wanna fix the defense? Fire Bob Sutton. 

This hack has way too much influence over the defensive game plan. It's obvious because over the past two years the team has run exotic and weird defensive schemes that confuse the players on the field. Once they simplify things, like in the second half of last year, they play better. Not sure what Quinn sees in this guy. When the chiefs fired Sutton as DC they jumped to a top 10 defense and a super bowl ring.

My understanding was that Bob Sutton's job was to consult on game management issues. Has his role changed?

37 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

As KOG said, this Falcons team is built on the premise "Play Not To Lose." Unfortunately, playing not to lose is like playing "Prevent" defense. You alter you strategy so radically in playing not to lose, you put your players back on their heels, make them reactive and tentative. This moron strategy makes them feel like they're already losing. 

This is the basis of DQ's defense. Read and react! Rally and tackle! Betting the defense will make a mistake along the way. In the meantime Kamara exits the backfield play after play and catches a flair, wheel, hitch or little Texas cross and you rally after him for 20 yds. a pop and never adjust.......ever.

Edited by slider