Somebody sell me on Jim Harbaugh as our next HC

marvinthemartian

I am sure his name will be discussed on these boards a lot and if he doesn’t beat Ohio State this year he may be persona non grata in Ann Arbor after the season. I remember he took over a dumpster fire in SF and turned it around pretty quickly. He beat us in the NFCCG one year and went to the Super Bowl against his brother. Seems like there was a power struggle between him and the SF GM who is also gone now. 

Those of you who are both supporters and detractors of his please share your thoughts on why he should or should not be our next HC. Thanks. 

As a Penn State guy I want him to stay in MICH for 2 reasons. Primarily, I want him there so PSU continues to have a good shot at beating MICH...which I guess ties to why I don’t want him in ATL.

they brought him in for one reason...to beat PSU and more notably, OSU. He hasn’t done overly well at either. They paid him handsomely to win national titles, not to average a 9-4 record...they can do that with anyone,

From what I've heard as well as what the trends suggest, Harbaugh is a good coach for short term results. However, his personality and style eventually wear on the team. He's good for about 2-3 years before it starts to not work. I think his style would be good for this particular roster. But he shouldn't be trusted to be a coach for anything longer than the duration of Ryan's career. I'd be down to give him a shot. 

8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

As a Penn State guy I want him to stay in MICH for 2 reasons. Primarily, I want him there so PSU continues to have a good shot at beating MICH...which I guess ties to why I don’t want him in ATL.

they brought him in for one reason...to beat PSU and more notably, OSU. He hasn’t done overly well at either. They paid him handsomely to win national titles, not to average a 9-4 record...they can do that with anyone,

he's 3-2 against psu, we don't need to talk about the record against ohio tho 🙄

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

8 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

I am sure his name will be discussed on these boards a lot and if he doesn’t beat Ohio State this year he may be persona non grata in Ann Arbor after the season. I remember he took over a dumpster fire in SF and turned it around pretty quickly. He beat us in the NFCCG one year and went to the Super Bowl against his brother. Seems like there was a power struggle between him and the SF GM who is also gone now. 

Those of you who are both supporters and detractors of his please share your thoughts on why he should or should not be our next HC. Thanks. 

I have him on a short list of possible HC candidates. Hes not a top pick. We would have coach with some intensity in him. no stupid brotherhood and resilient metaphors. 

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

From what I've heard as well as what the trends suggest, Harbaugh is a good coach for short term results. However, his personality and style eventually wear on the team. He's good for about 2-3 years before it starts to not work. I think his style would be good for this particular roster. But he shouldn't be trusted to be a coach for anything longer than the duration of Ryan's career. I'd be down to give him a shot. 

that. which is why he's a good college coach, because he gets a new group of players every 3-4 years. Good point on giving him a shot for a couple years, but have a succession plan in place from day 1.

College and the NFL are completely different animals. Saban was an ok NFL HC, but the arguably the best college coach. Harbaugh is better NFL coach than he is a college coach. Problem with college is the recruiting for him. Michigan is a great school, with excellent tradition, but at this time, it's not Ohio State, Florida, Georgia, Clemson, etc. As a coach with an attitude, I would love for him to come here. 

Excellent Xs and O's guy, who knows offense really well. Known as a QB whisperer and made Kaepernick into a star as well as got Alex Smith paid and rejuvenated his career. The only question with hiring him is that he had a stud DC when he was in SF, and we would need to pair him with one. He would want absolute control over personnel which IMO would be a mistake. 

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

College and the NFL are completely different animals. Saban was an ok NFL HC, but the arguably the best college coach. Harbaugh is better NFL coach than he is a college coach. Problem with college is the recruiting for him. Michigan is a great school, with excellent tradition, but at this time, it's not Ohio State, Florida, Georgia, Clemson, etc. As a coach with an attitude, I would love for him to come here. 

Cant really use Saban as an example. Saban went to a team with no QB  and wanted to sign Brees to fill the spot. The GM ignored him and instead signed an over the hill Culpepper. Cant really say how Saban would do running the show in the NFL because he was never given the oppurtunity. He was forced to play with a QB that had absolutely  nothing left

Sell me on him being a HC period. Pro or college I've never understood the hype around this guy. He might be good for the first year or two and usually dwindles after that. He's never been the great offensive guru that people try to make him out to be. 

I know Quinn and his f*ckery makes any and everyone look like an immediate upgrade, but lets still be rational and smart about who we choose for our next HC. Remember Smitty had a lot of us salivating over Rex Ryan lol.

2 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Sell me on him being a HC period. Pro or college I've never understood the hype around this guy. He might be good for the first year or two and usually dwindles after that. He's never been the great offensive guru that people try to make him out to be. 

I know Quinn and his f*ckery makes any and everyone look like an immediate upgrade, but lets still be rational and smart about who we choose for our next HC. Remember Smitty had a lot of us salivating over Rex Ryan lol.

You not lying!! Everything looks a lot better than Quinn’s bum ***