Are there any coordinators in the NFL that you think would make a great head coach for the Falcons that have been overlooked by our fan base?

Falcons Fan MVP

3 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I'm not a fan of 'flavor of the month' coaches who have a great defense one year and then get pulled into a HC role. Give me the guy with a long track record no matter where he's been. So Toub and Roman are strong choices IMO. And stay away from ex Patriot coaches- everyone should have learned that by now.

I tend to agree with you.  I want a guy that is first, second and third a smart man.  I don't care whether he is close with his players, nor do I care that free agents seek to play for him.  

I want the next coach to be a thinker and an organizer.  He should be able to find coordinators that have clear and rational schemes and build a coaching staff that actually teaches.  

The Falcons are currently (and for the past few years) poorly prepared to play at the NFL level....particularly during the first half of every season. The same mistakes and misjudgments are made time and time again. This has been the reason that the window of opportunity for Ryan and Julio has closed.   

Blank needs to hire smart men to run his football operations.....at least smarter than Quinn, Smith, Petrino, and Mora were.  

3 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I'm not a fan of 'flavor of the month' coaches who have a great defense one year and then get pulled into a HC role. Give me the guy with a long track record no matter where he's been. So Toub and Roman are strong choices IMO. And stay away from ex Patriot coaches- everyone should have learned that by now.

If Roman is HC you probably looking at Dean Pees or maybe Todd Grantham as DC. With Mike McCoy or Eric Mangini as OC. Those are some names he’s coached with in the past. Mangini could also be a DC, he’s been on both sides of the ball.

3 hours ago, etherdome said:

I tend to agree with you.  I want a guy that is first, second and third a smart man.  I don't care whether he is close with his players, nor do I care that free agents seek to play for him.  

I want the next coach to be a thinker and an organizer.  He should be able to find coordinators that have clear and rational schemes and build a coaching staff that actually teaches.  

The Falcons are currently (and for the past few years) poorly prepared to play at the NFL level....particularly during the first half of every season. The same mistakes and misjudgments are made time and time again. This has been the reason that the window of opportunity for Ryan and Julio has closed.   

Blank needs to hire smart men to run his football operations.....at least smarter than Quinn, Smith, Petrino, and Mora were.  

Still can’t believe Blank was going to fire Reeves, which  forced him to resign, and thought Jim Mora Jr. was an upgrade. And then he doubled down and thought Bobby Petrino was an upgrade over Mora. Looking back on that time frame, those two decisions set this franchise back ten years at least. 

On 9/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, KamiKazee27 said:

I like the idea of hiring Greg Roman OC baltimore. Lamar Jackson was very raw coming out of college and his first year in the league but in his first year with Roman as OC he won MVP. Roman was also SF OC from 2011-2014 and had Alex Smith playing well then had Kaepernick playing well. His offenses are physical. With his time with the ravens, 49ers and Bills I think he'd bring a good DC with him.

This. Plus if we add him, there are links to Rex Ryan. He was a terrible HC but his defenses were pretty d@mn good. 

17 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

If Roman is HC you probably looking at Dean Pees or maybe Todd Grantham as DC. With Mike McCoy or Eric Mangini as OC. Those are some names he’s coached with in the past. Mangini could also be a DC, he’s been on both sides of the ball.

3rd and Grantham? That Todd Grantham? I can get down with Roman but not if it includes that ****.

On 9/26/2020 at 11:51 PM, marvinthemartian said:

I wouldn’t let O’Brien within 500 miles of Flowery Branch

Letting BOB trot out our players, who are already accustomed to blowing leads, is going to result in a whole new level of lead-lowing suckyness...

Hard pass!

And why would he ever give up his position of power in HOU anyway?

Edited by niels petersen

On 9/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

And this is why. Fans want the sexy young OC who's gonna come in and tear up the league. They don't want a dynasty. God willing AB isn't too desperate to sell tickets.

you realize why though, right? This fanbase is absolutely scarred by the 2016 season. Top 10 all-time offense, but the HC was a defensive guy and you can't just fire your HC after the most successful season the team has since 1998. Shanahan left and the team hasn't been anywhere close to the same since. If you get an elite offensive mind like Shanahan as your HC, you don't have to worry about him leaving.

EDIT: My vote is the same as it was last year. Joe Brady.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah, my guy is Dave Toub. Already assistant HC for the Chiefs, he's seasoned. Almost completely overlooked, but he's probably one of the best special teams coaches of all time (if not the outright best), he's got meticulous attention to detail, players love him, and you can't ignore the track record of the few special teams coaches who were hired as head coaches - Belichick, (John) Harbaugh, Cowher, Vermeil, Ditka, etc. A lot of the best head coaches of all time.

But they aren't sexy. And owners that fire coaches typically go for sexy.

Couple articles y'all can check him out in:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/292764/special-teams-to-head-coach-chiefs-dave-toub-wants-his-shot
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel
https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/18/20984867/5-oclock-club-who-is-dave-toub-and-why-should-he-be-the-next-head-coach-of-the-washington-redskins

And his DVOA over his coaching career as a ST coach:

2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 9th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 1st
2012 - 6th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2008 - 5th
2007 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2005 - 27th
2004 - 12th
2003 - 2nd
2002 - 5th
2001 - 1st

2001-2003 is with the Eagles, 2004-2012 is with the Bears, and 2013-2019 is with the Chiefs. Outside of 2005 (which seems like a massive aberration) and 2004 (still 12th), he has been impeccable. Over the course of 19 years, dude only has one finish outside the top half of the league, only two outside the top 10. He has 15 of 19 years in the top 5, and 7 of 19 at number 1. I seriously doubt any other coach of any of the three phases - offense, defense, or special teams - has a track record as impeccable as his.

Sure, put him on the list. 

Nice props from his team

Bieniemy’s contribution aside as Chiefs’ offensive coordinator with Andy Reid and the generational talent that is Patrick Mahomes. But no less authorities than Reid and Mahomes have cited Bieniemy’s importance to the Kansas City offense and head coaching future.

Reid: “I give him, every weekend, I sit down, we put together this game plan sheet with 200-plus plays on it and he memorizes every play, every formation, just — boom — on recall like that. And every week, I go, ‘Listen, are you good with this?’ And he goes, ‘No problem. I’ve got it.’ But a lot of hard work goes into it. Plus, he’s a brilliant dude.”

Mahomes: “When you get a guy like EB, who puts in the time, who is a great leader of players and men and somebody that can really control and have a presence in any room he walks in, you understand why these other teams are looking at him to be their head coach.”

The Chiefs biggest departure after the 2020 season feels sure to be Bieniemy. The odds of him becoming the Falcons next head coach seem remote right now, but there is a chance he’d consider them strongly and there’s nothing to keep them from entering the fray to hire him.

Just saw this and we need defense.

DON MARTINDALE

Defensive Coordinator Baltimore Ravens

Martindale interviewed for the New York Giants head coaching job after last season, and in February the Ravens made him the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the league. He came to Baltimore as linebackers coach in 2012, and in two seasons as defensive coordinator the Ravens have finished first (2018( and fourth (2019) in total defense and second (2018) and third (2019) in scoring defense.

The Falcons tried a defensive guy as head coach in Quinn, and outside of the season that ended with a trip to the Super Bowl it hasn’t gone very well on that side of the ball. That’s now due in big part to Quinn coming from the Seattle Seahawks’ coaching tree, and the roots of what’s been shown to be an antiquated defensive system without “The Legion of Boom” secondary at its peak (ouch).

Martindale seems to have no trouble being adaptable and creative, as the key pieces of his defensive unit have changed from year to year–sometimes on pretty short notice, see Earl Thomas. In it’s own way that’s the opposite of Quinn, who seems to be a “this is what we do” guy until he’s in danger or being fired during a bye week. Don’t dismiss the notion that Blank told him to give up the defensive play-calling at that point last year, or he’d be fired.

Martindale will get head coaching looks again after this season. His desire to leave the Ravens will be a big factor in any opportunities he entertains, but the Falcons should be very interested.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, AllStarHandyMan said:

Arthur Smith: titans (offense)

Kevin Stefanski (offense)

John keith butler: steelers (defense)

Leslie Frazier: bills (defense)

Matt Eberflus (defense)

Don Martindale

Some that might be worth looking at.

I think Blank will go with an offensive mind this go round given our past two selections were on the defensive side of the ball. 

1 hour ago, autigerfan said:

I think Blank will go with an offensive mind this go round given our past two selections were on the defensive side of the ball. 

You most likely right but Matt Eberflus looks to be pretty dang good. If he wants someone who has been a head coach before i think Frazier would be a good choice. 

On 9/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

I'll take O'Brien as GM and HC, just like he is in Houston. I think they have a great team that is always relevant.

I know he's on the hot seat for how he handled KC in the playoffs last year. But gimme a break, that was KC, the eventual dominant superbowl winner.

He meets the main criteria -- he has done it before, and yet somehow the place he did it is dumb enough to let him go (if they do).

Red-Forman-confused.jpg