Are there any coordinators in the NFL that you think would make a great head coach for the Falcons that have been overlooked by our fan base?

It can be an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator. Even a special teams coordinator. 

Our there any coordinators in the NFL that you think could make the Falcons a super bowl caliber team that is being overlooked? I've heard the Titans offensive coordinator, the 49ers defensive coordinator and the Steelers and Ravens offensive coordinators as being possibly like that. 

Name a coordinator that you think would be a great hire that most people wouldn't necessarily expect to be on our radar. 

After all don't we usually hire someone nobody is expecting anyways? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, my guy is Dave Toub. Already assistant HC for the Chiefs, he's seasoned. Almost completely overlooked, but he's probably one of the best special teams coaches of all time (if not the outright be

I like the idea of hiring Greg Roman OC baltimore. Lamar Jackson was very raw coming out of college and his first year in the league but in his first year with Roman as OC he won MVP. Roman was also S

Greg Roman should top the list of any team's head-coaching search. Roman has fielded a top-eight ground attack in all seven of his years as an offensive coordinator with three different teams. In

I like the idea of hiring Greg Roman OC baltimore. Lamar Jackson was very raw coming out of college and his first year in the league but in his first year with Roman as OC he won MVP. Roman was also SF OC from 2011-2014 and had Alex Smith playing well then had Kaepernick playing well. His offenses are physical. With his time with the ravens, 49ers and Bills I think he'd bring a good DC with him.

Greg Roman should top the list of any team's head-coaching search.

Roman has fielded a top-eight ground attack in all seven of his years as an offensive coordinator with three different teams. In 2019, he called plays for the No. 1 scoring offense in the league, which featured the Baltimore Ravens' rising star quarterback, Lamar Jackson.

Based on Roman's track record, he doesn't just put together strong ground attacks. He pressures opponents on the scoreboard as well. In six out of seven terms, his units have ranked 12th or higher in scoring. Last season, the Ravens recorded a franchise-record 531 points.

Most importantly, Roman has developed and optimized the skill sets of mobile quarterbacks, including Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor and Jackson. That's a key aspect as the position evolves with more athletic signal-callers under center.

With Roman calling the shots, Smith helped lead the 49ers to a 13-3 record, Kaepernick went to a Super Bowl, Taylor earned his first Pro Bowl nod, and Jackson became a Pro Bowler, All-Pro and league MVP.

Roman would be a good fit for a team that plans to rebuild with a rookie signal-caller who can beat defenses with his arm and legs. He could pair with Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields elsewhere in 2021.

I prefer an offensive head coach who can build a strong running game. Our team is built around the offense so let’s play to our strengths. Hand the reins of the defense over to someone that is aggressive. We have holes on our defense but we have guys who can take over games. I am tired of the passive cover three defense which we cannot play. We make too many simple mistakes to be effective. 

Greg Roman would be a great choice based on what I have read about him.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Paging @Francis York Morgan.  He's got a great one.  I'll let him do the honors.

Yeah, my guy is Dave Toub. Already assistant HC for the Chiefs, he's seasoned. Almost completely overlooked, but he's probably one of the best special teams coaches of all time (if not the outright best), he's got meticulous attention to detail, players love him, and you can't ignore the track record of the few special teams coaches who were hired as head coaches - Belichick, (John) Harbaugh, Cowher, Vermeil, Ditka, etc. A lot of the best head coaches of all time.

But they aren't sexy. And owners that fire coaches typically go for sexy.

Couple articles y'all can check him out in:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/292764/special-teams-to-head-coach-chiefs-dave-toub-wants-his-shot
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel
https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/18/20984867/5-oclock-club-who-is-dave-toub-and-why-should-he-be-the-next-head-coach-of-the-washington-redskins

And his DVOA over his coaching career as a ST coach:

2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 9th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 1st
2012 - 6th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2008 - 5th
2007 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2005 - 27th
2004 - 12th
2003 - 2nd
2002 - 5th
2001 - 1st

2001-2003 is with the Eagles, 2004-2012 is with the Bears, and 2013-2019 is with the Chiefs. Outside of 2005 (which seems like a massive aberration) and 2004 (still 12th), he has been impeccable. Over the course of 19 years, dude only has one finish outside the top half of the league, only two outside the top 10. He has 15 of 19 years in the top 5, and 7 of 19 at number 1. I seriously doubt any other coach of any of the three phases - offense, defense, or special teams - has a track record as impeccable as his.

13 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Josh McDaniels. Give me an offensive wizard, so we really can put up crazy numbers like the Shanny days with a newer scheme... They have had Tom Brady, but consistently decent.... And don't tell me about his Bronco's experience.... Look at his QB play

Josh is far from a offensive wizard. Do you remember how bad he was with st louis?

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

...you can't ignore the track record of the few special teams coaches who were hired as head coaches - Belichick, (John) Harbaugh, Cowher, Vermeil, Ditka, etc. A lot of the best head coaches of all time.

1 hour ago, dapanch420 said:

Please no to st coaches. My vote goes to mcdaniel, like kylen shanahan, hes been involved with that offensive sysytembsince he was a child. Knows that offense inside and out.

And this is why. Fans want the sexy young OC who's gonna come in and tear up the league. They don't want a dynasty. God willing AB isn't too desperate to sell tickets.

I'll take O'Brien as GM and HC, just like he is in Houston. I think they have a great team that is always relevant.

I know he's on the hot seat for how he handled KC in the playoffs last year. But gimme a break, that was KC, the eventual dominant superbowl winner.

He meets the main criteria -- he has done it before, and yet somehow the place he did it is dumb enough to let him go (if they do).

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah, my guy is Dave Toub. Already assistant HC for the Chiefs, he's seasoned. Almost completely overlooked, but he's probably one of the best special teams coaches of all time (if not the outright best), he's got meticulous attention to detail, players love him, and you can't ignore the track record of the few special teams coaches who were hired as head coaches - Belichick, (John) Harbaugh, Cowher, Vermeil, Ditka, etc. A lot of the best head coaches of all time.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/292764/special-teams-to-head-coach-chiefs-dave-toub-wants-his-shot
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel
https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/18/20984867/5-oclock-club-who-is-dave-toub-and-why-should-he-be-the-next-head-coach-of-the-washington-redskins

2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 9th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 1st
2012 - 6th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2008 - 5th
2007 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2005 - 27th
2004 - 12th
2003 - 2nd
2002 - 5th
2001 - 1st

2001-2003 is with the Eagles, 2004-2012 is with the Bears, and 2013-2019 is with the Chiefs. Outside of 2005 (which seems like a massive aberration) and 2004 (still 12th), he has been impeccable. Over the course of 19 years, dude only has one finish outside the top half of the league, only two outside the top 10. He has 15 of 19 years in the top 5, and 7 of 19 at number 1. I seriously doubt any other coach of any of the three phases - offense, defense, or special teams - has a track record as impeccable as his.

I'm intrigued. D@mn good find sir.

48 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

I'll take O'Brien as GM and HC, just like he is in Houston. I think they have a great team that is always relevant.

I know he's on the hot seat for how he handled KC in the playoffs last year. But gimme a break, that was KC, the eventual dominant superbowl winner.

He meets the main criteria -- he has done it before, and yet somehow the place he did it is dumb enough to let him go (if they do).

Please tell me you are kidding. 

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 9th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 1st
2012 - 6th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2008 - 5th
2007 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2005 - 27th
2004 - 12th
2003 - 2nd
2002 - 5th
2001 - 1st

I like it. Its outside the box and that's something that the Falcons need. He could change the culture in a big way. 

21 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

That's not at all why he's on the hot seat (though blowing a giant lead should be enough to scare away falcons fans). He guts that team's roster more and more each year. 

8 hours ago, etherdome said:

Here is another name:  Arthur Smith.  And here is an article written by a Jets guy.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/09/25/why-arthur-smith-is-the-perfect-head-coach-candidate-for-the-new-york-jets-in-2021/

I have 4 different scenarios:

GM: Joe Hortiz , HC: Mike McDaniel, OC: Terry Robiskie, DC: Raheem Morris 

GM: Joe Hortiz, HC: Arthur Smith, OC: Terry Robiskie, DC: Dean Pees

GM: Nick Caserio/Mike Borgonzi, HC: Brian Daboll, OC: Eric Mangini, DC: Leslie Frazier

GM: Mike Borgonzi, HC: Nick Sirianni, OC: Mike McCoy, DC: John Pagano 

I posted this Thursday with Smith and Daboll as 2 of my choices.