What if the Falcons Had Won SuperBowl LI - Would We Even Be Upset Over This Past Week?

jlrfalcon

The Falcons were pretty close in SuperBowl LI - just a Patriot mistake, some last second luck, or whatever and we could have won the thing easily.

So what if we had won?

Quinn would not have gone anywhere, Shanahan would have definitely still left, our draft pick would have probably still been Takk McKinley and the Ryan/Julio offense would have still remained.

However, assuming most things the same in terms of injuries, coaching changes, draft picks, other team play, etc. in 2017-2019, would we probably have still went 10-6 followed by 2 straight 7-9 seasons and now an 0-2 start to 2020 including a "dumb" on-side kick play?

Would be calling for Quinn's firing as loudly now?

Winning the super bowl could have changed many things.

maybe we kept one of shannys assistants, maybe Sark is given a longer leash, maybe our draft picks end up being different due to our draft position. Maybe Quinn doesn’t walk around with his butthole tighter than Fort Knox and coaching like a panicked child who walked out into the deep end.

a lot of things would be different

4 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The Falcons were pretty close in SuperBowl LI - just a Patriot mistake, some last second luck, or whatever and we could have won the thing easily.

So what if we had won?

Quinn would not have gone anywhere, Shanahan would have definitely still left, our draft pick would have probably still been Takk McKinley and the Ryan/Julio offense would have still remained.

However, assuming most things the same in terms of injuries, coaching changes, draft picks, other team play, etc. in 2017-2019, would we probably have still went 10-6 followed by 2 straight 7-9 seasons and now an 0-2 start to 2020 including a "dumb" on-side kick play?

No, but we did lose it.....bc of coaching them and every season since has featured primarily an inept coaching staff.  We continued and are still losing for same reasons, boneheaded coaching, inability to develop and communicate effectively and just flat out played/coached on most occasions.  

12 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

So what if we had won?

Why do y'all do this to yourselves? 

14 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

So what if we had won?

Outstanding question! 

All the fans would be saying Kyle Shanahan won us that super bowl! If we had kept Kyle Shanahan we would have won 2-3 more super bowls and we should have kept Shanahan and to yes fire DQ.

But we would be a lot more relaxed and thankful that we got just one. The loss to Dallas wouldn't bother us as much. Matt Ryan would get a lot more respect. Julio would be a hero for the game winning catch. They may have kept Matt Bryant another year for being a hero. A lot less trade Matt Ryan talk.

17 hours ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Absolutely. What could have happened then has no bearing on this year IMO.

I disagree with this, because past experiences play a large part in how we deal, and feel with things. Choking in the Super Bowl, other games, this game, etc. is a pattern, and that creates the environment for folks to be upset with this regime. If it was only this week's choke, and it wasn't a pattern, then feelings would be different.

I'd be upset, but THIS would feel new, and not as much like an ongoing pattern. 

Im pretty convinced that the superbowl loss had longstanding psychological impacts on this organization and I am not saying that as a joke. Just as we were all EXPECTING the team to choke, I am guessing they are also expecting to choke..That weird gut feeling we get when its happening is probably 1/100th of what they are experiencing... and the pattern reinforces itself over and over and over. At the first signs of adversity there is a sense of panic; and somehow, someway they manage to find a way to do it again. The ol' self fulfilling prophecy

This will stick around. I have been adamant that a rebuild was not necessary and that "filling a few spots" would fix it. Now, I am leaning toward a complete rebuild. As complete as possible. 

2 hours ago, revrndzombie said:

I'd be upset, but THIS would feel new, and not as much like an ongoing pattern. 

Im pretty convinced that the superbowl loss had longstanding psychological impacts on this organization and I am not saying that as a joke. Just as we were all EXPECTING the team to choke, I am guessing they are also expecting to choke..That weird gut feeling we get when its happening is probably 1/100th of what they are experiencing... and the pattern reinforces itself over and over and over. At the first signs of adversity there is a sense of panic; and somehow, someway they manage to find a way to do it again. The ol' self fulfilling prophecy

This will stick around. I have been adamant that a rebuild was not necessary and that "filling a few spots" would fix it. Now, I am leaning toward a complete rebuild. As complete as possible. 

I agree 100%. This team is in its own head.