What if Mike Smith was still our head coach today?

Falcons Fan MVP

On 9/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, marvinthemartian said:

Could be worse. We could have gotten Gase or Rex Ryan. There were many here who wanted both back in the day. Generally people were happy with the Quinn decision when we got him. Oh how times have changed. 

its cuz we believe he was going to change the defense for the better but it never happened 

On 9/24/2020 at 9:02 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

How on earth can someone come to this conclusion when Smitty won only 1 playoff game in 7 years and it took him 5 years to win that 1 single playoff game.

Considering the state of the franchise when he took over, and his steady improvement, it's not far-fetched.  Stranger things have happened in this league.

On 9/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, supercollider said:

Smitty gradually improved the first few years.  Despite his more recent blunders, had he been kept until now, we'd have at least one Superbowl win.  Was shocked we didn't win it in 2011 and 2012, but we should have been in Superbowl 50.

3 minutes ago, supercollider said:

Read my original post.

Like I said, 2012 was the Falcons 1 shot to win the Super Bowl with Smitty and they blew it by blowing a 17 point lead against Harbaugh and the 49ers. They were then garbage in 2013 and 2014. The Falcons were NEVER going to win the Super Bowl with Smitty. I loved the guy when he was here but he took this franchise as far as he was ever going to take them.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Like I said, 2012 was the Falcons 1 shot to win the Super Bowl with Smitty and they blew it by blowing a 17 point lead against Harbaugh and the 49ers. They were then garbage in 2013 and 2014. The Falcons were NEVER going to win the Super Bowl with Smitty. I loved the guy when he was here but he took this franchise as far as he was ever going to take them.

The entire point of the thread is conjecture.  I believe with 6 more years, roster turnover, etc., he could have win a SB, but clearly, we'll never know.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, athell said:

Ahh those brief moments when we believed the LoB and Seattle Defense had more to do with Quinn and less to do with Carroll...

I mean, their defense has been garbage for a while now. Ours was actually better in pretty much every metric last year. I'd attribute that defense to Ed Dodds more than anyone else

On 9/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I have a fun but serious what if for you. What if the Falcons never fired Mike Smith in 2014 and they kept Mike Smith unconditionally up until this season? Do you think the Falcons would have had anymore deep playoff runs? Do you think our defense would be a lot better? Would we have found another Michael Turner? Would we have ever gone to the west coast offense? What do you think the Falcons would be like today under Mike Smith?

On ‎09‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 4:50 PM, 1989Fan said:

What has Rex done as a HC? I never got the love for this guy. Do people like him because of his personality?

Back to back conference championship games with Mark Sanchez as his QB. If he had our Ferrari offense, he would have been a lock for at least 1 title. 9 top 10 defenses in yards with different teams, 5 top 10 defenses in points with different teams. 

He was the no brainer choice when we hired Quinn and Smitty.