What if Mike Smith was still our head coach today?

Falcons Fan MVP

Just now, NWFALCON said:

It’s almost like he the DC of a really good Defense but couldn’t put it together as a HC. I swear that sounds familiar. 

Exactly, I get wanting him back when he was in line for his first job, but not sure why his name is still being discussed. He has proven to be no different than Smith or Quinn, and really he was worse.

2 minutes ago, opensource001 said:

Remember how Smitty use to defend his players and also actually yell at refs?  I also have vague memories of him physically protecting a player on the sidelines once (DeAngelo Hall maybe?).  I miss the Falcons having a coach who wasn't just a human speed bump.

Quinn did. Remember pass interference by Richard Sherman in 2016? Arthur Blank probably told Q to chill.

6 minutes ago, opensource001 said:

Remember how Smitty use to defend his players and also actually yell at refs?  I also have vague memories of him physically protecting a player on the sidelines once (DeAngelo Hall maybe?).  I miss the Falcons having a coach who wasn't just a human speed bump.

Yeah, he was actually about to fist fight D Hall it was against the Redskins. 

4 hours ago, athell said:

Do you think the Falcons would have had anymore deep playoff runs?  No

Do you think our defense would be a lot better? Yes

Would we have found another Michael Turner? Yes

Would we have ever gone to the west coast offense? Depends on the OC

What do you think the Falcons would be like today under Mike Smith?  The same they were with him

I bet we would have won the Super Bowl.

31 minutes ago, supercollider said:

Smitty gradually improved the first few years.  Despite his more recent blunders, had he been kept until now, we'd have at least one Superbowl win.  Was shocked we didn't win it in 2011 and 2012, but we should have been in Superbowl 50.

How on earth can someone come to this conclusion when Smitty won only 1 playoff game in 7 years and it took him 5 years to win that 1 single playoff game.

I have a ton of respect for Smith and he is definitely one of the top Falcons coaches of all-time but we topped out during the 2012 season.  He showed he was good enough to get a talented team to the playoffs but he couldn't take the next step.  We had similar problems under him in that the defense still underachieved.

20 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Could be worse. We could have gotten Gase or Rex Ryan. There were many here who wanted both back in the day. Generally people were happy with the Quinn decision when we got him. Oh how times have changed. 

I wanted Bowles...which would have not been a good decision as Hq obviously, but the guys is a great coordinator. His defense has become a real strength of Tampa, something that hasn’t generally been said since the days of Derrick Brooks and the Kiffen Tampa 2

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Dan Quinn got there with Smitty's Team.

No he didn't.

1. Matt Ryan
  2. Julio Jones
  3. Levine Toilolo
  4. Jake Matthews
  5. Ryan Schraeder
  6. Jonathan Babineaux
  7. Robert Alford
  8. Desmond Trufant

That's the list of players that were starters under Smitty that were starters for the Falcons in 2016. So no, Dan Quinn didn't make the Super Bowl with Smitty's team. Not even close to Smitty's team.

11 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

No he didn't.

1. Matt Ryan
  2. Julio Jones
  3. Levine Toilolo
  4. Jake Matthews
  5. Ryan Schraeder
  6. Jonathan Babineaux
  7. Robert Alford
  8. Desmond Trufant

That's the list of players that were starters under Smitty that were starters for the Falcons in 2016. So no, Dan Quinn didn't make the Super Bowl with Smitty's team. Not even close to Smitty's team.

I knew the carryover was not a lot but did not feel like putting in the work to compare the rosters lol so thank you.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

It blows my ever loving mind that people don't remember the Jake Matthews holding penalty that happened  after the Julio catch that totally changed everything because it put the Falcons out of field goal range. Yes, everyone talks about the sack on 2nd down and yes that was bad and very dumb. But on 3rd down Ryan completed a 9 yard pass to Sanu that put the Falcons at the 26 and in easy Matt Bryant automatic field goal range. But it was called back because of Matthews getting called for holding and it put the Falcons at the 45 and outside of field goal range. So one can argue that the holding never happens if the Falcons are running the ball the whole time but on the Falcons last drive of the 3rd quarter when the Falcons were right on the edge of field goal range at the New England 32 there was a run and Matthews was called for a holding penalty that killed any shot of a field goal the Falcons had on that drive. Falcons get a field goal on either of those drives and they win the game.

Fair enough. While I still think 3 runs was unquestionably the right call, I do remember the holding penalty, and when it happened. That game and its series of events is burned into my brain, lol.

Of course, if the ref saw the obvious facemask on Sanu, it offsets, and maybe we wouldn't have to even have this conversation. Sigh.