What if Mike Smith was still our head coach today?

Falcons Fan MVP

6 minutes ago, sirlot said:

I miss Mike Smith. It did fall apart on him at the end. He ran out of horses on the field. I blame TD just as much as him. And I do believe TD learned alot more about being GM from Pioli and co over the years.

Smiths team felt different. They were disciplined and won a bunch of big games. We all know 2016 was Shanny. Outside of that year....I'd love to see what Smith could've done with a more knowledgeable TD.

Yeah, Smitty team’s always knew where they should be, getting there was their problem. 

Oh.... And he had a better special teams coach! :lol:

9 minutes ago, sirlot said:

What aggregates me is I feel like Mike Smith got fired for alot less than what Quinn is doing.

True, but it was obvious he was burnt out toast.

To your point, it’s been obvious for quite awhile that DQ never overcame his big part in SB 51 choke. And that’s been what, 3 1/2 years?

8 minutes ago, nomak said:

Smith's heart issues probably hindered/worried him more than we could ever understand. O know this...remember this....

Probably should’ve done the organization a favor and retired. It wouldn’t have been selfish it would’ve been completely understandable and we could’ve moved on sooner. Idk I was never a huge smith fan

1 hour ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

It's so hard to answer this question, because there's a domino effect - would we have the same PLAYERS right now if we had kept Mike Smith? Probably not. 

However, I would give anything to have had Mike Smith on the sideline after that pass to Julio in the Super Bowl. Just swap him right out for Dan Quinn in that moment. No way does he allow anything but three runs. 

It blows my ever loving mind that people don't remember the Jake Matthews holding penalty that happened  after the Julio catch that totally changed everything because it put the Falcons out of field goal range. Yes, everyone talks about the sack on 2nd down and yes that was bad and very dumb. But on 3rd down Ryan completed a 9 yard pass to Sanu that put the Falcons at the 26 and in easy Matt Bryant automatic field goal range. But it was called back because of Matthews getting called for holding and it put the Falcons at the 45 and outside of field goal range. So one can argue that the holding never happens if the Falcons are running the ball the whole time but on the Falcons last drive of the 3rd quarter when the Falcons were right on the edge of field goal range at the New England 32 there was a run and Matthews was called for a holding penalty that killed any shot of a field goal the Falcons had on that drive. Falcons get a field goal on either of those drives and they win the game.

22 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I'd give a testicle to get rex ryan. Should have been the coach for our roster.

At least we would’ve had an identity with Rex. He did pretty well w Sanchez running things. Imagine what he could’ve done w Ryan. Also probably would’ve built a defense by now unlike a certain bald guru that I know

1 hour ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Probably should’ve done the organization a favor and retired. It wouldn’t have been selfish it would’ve been completely understandable and we could’ve moved on sooner. Idk I was never a huge smith fan

He made it to the NFC championship game the year after his heart problem. Heck Dan Reeves made it to the super bowl the year he had heart trouble and went 5 more years.

1 hour ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

At least we would’ve had an identity with Rex. He did pretty well w Sanchez running things. Imagine what he could’ve done w Ryan. Also probably would’ve built a defense by now unlike a certain bald guru that I know

Yepp, tired of being a cream puff and the butt of jokes. 

Rex is known for being aggressive and blitzing and having good corners. He would have got us a title by now. I know for sure his team wouldn't have messed up the cowboys game. 

What has Rex done as a HC? I never got the love for this guy. Do people like him because of his personality?

in 8 years as a HC he had 2 winning seasons (9-7, 11-5) which were his first 2 seasons, and has a sub .500 career record. Smith and Quinn have both done more than Ryan has.

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

What has Rex done as a HC? I never got the love for this guy. Do people like him because of his personality?

in 8 years as a HC he had 2 winning seasons (9-7, 11-5) which were his first 2 seasons, and has a sub .500 career record. Smith and Quinn have both done more than Ryan has.

It’s almost like he was the DC of a really good Defense but couldn’t put it together as a HC. I swear that sounds familiar. 

Edited by NWFALCON