What if Mike Smith was still our head coach today?

Falcons Fan MVP

I have a fun but serious what if for you. What if the Falcons never fired Mike Smith in 2014 and they kept Mike Smith unconditionally up until this season? Do you think the Falcons would have had anymore deep playoff runs? Do you think our defense would be a lot better? Would we have found another Michael Turner? Would we have ever gone to the west coast offense? What do you think the Falcons would be like today under Mike Smith?

It's so hard to answer this question, because there's a domino effect - would we have the same PLAYERS right now if we had kept Mike Smith? Probably not. 

However, I would give anything to have had Mike Smith on the sideline after that pass to Julio in the Super Bowl. Just swap him right out for Dan Quinn in that moment. No way does he allow anything but three runs. 

Do you think the Falcons would have had anymore deep playoff runs?  No

Do you think our defense would be a lot better? Yes

Would we have found another Michael Turner? Yes

Would we have ever gone to the west coast offense? Depends on the OC

What do you think the Falcons would be like today under Mike Smith?  The same they were with him

1 minute ago, athell said:

Do you think the Falcons would have had anymore deep playoff runs?  No

Do you think our defense would be a lot better? Yes

Would we have found another Michael Turner? Yes

Would we have ever gone to the west coast offense? Depends on the OC

What do you think the Falcons would be like today under Mike Smith?  The same they were with him

And I doubt he hires Shanahan as OC.

Just now, marvinthemartian said:

Could be worse. We could have gotten Gase or Rex Ryan. There were many here who wanted both back in the day. Generally people were happy with the Quinn decision when we got him. Oh how times have changed. 

Ahh those brief moments when we believed the LoB and Seattle Defense had more to do with Quinn and less to do with Carroll...

7 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

It's so hard to answer this question, because there's a domino effect - would we have the same PLAYERS right now if we had kept Mike Smith? Probably not. 

However, I would give anything to have had Mike Smith on the sideline after that pass to Julio in the Super Bowl. Just swap him right out for Dan Quinn in that moment. No way does he allow anything but three runs. 

I'm sure Matt, Jake Matthews and Julio would be here. We can speculate what type of offense and defense he would try to run.

4 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Could be worse. We could have gotten Gase or Rex Ryan. There were many here who wanted both back in the day. Generally people were happy with the Quinn decision when we got him. Oh how times have changed. 

I think Rex Ryan would have been a good fit culture wise. Especially as defensive coordinator.

8 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

No foot would be safe in the same town as Sexy Rexy! :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, athell said:

No chance Mike Smith would ever hire a young up and comer as OC.

And I would say our D would be slightly better than mediocre. 

The Smith era completely ran its course and it was time.

Only thing is, Dumitrof should have been released with him as well.

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And I would say our D would be slightly better than mediocre. 

The Smith era completely ran its course and it was time.

Only thing is, Dumitrof should have been released with him as well.

Mediocre would be an improvement for Dan Quinn.  I'm not even joking.  

Go back through the years and look at Mike Smith's defensive dvoa rankings, especially during the peak.  Some top 5 finishes, few top 10's.  Quinn can't even broach top 16.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Mediocre would be an improvement for Dan Quinn.  I'm not even joking.  

Go back through the years and look at Mike Smith's defensive dvoa rankings, especially during the peak.  Some top 5 finishes, few top 10's.  Quinn can't even broach top 16.

Like I was saying in the other thread, at best, this team is only going to play well in stretches. 

No way do I see this team becoming the model of consistently good/great play under this administration. 

1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Like I was saying in the other thread, at best, this team is only going to play well in stretches. 

No way do I see this team becoming the model of consistently good/great play under this administration. 

At least we have enough talent for a new good coach to win right away.

I miss Mike Smith. It did fall apart on him at the end. He ran out of horses on the field. I blame TD just as much as him. And I do believe TD learned alot more about being GM from Pioli and co over the years.

Smiths team felt different. They were disciplined and won a bunch of big games. We all know 2016 was Shanny. Outside of that year....I'd love to see what Smith could've done with a more knowledgeable TD.