The New What Are You Reading/Book Recommendations thread

4 minutes ago, Door Gunner said:

I hear that. The majority is listening for me as well. I'm dyslexic and reading can give me fits at times depending on print size, line spacing and what not.  Kindle helps, but I wish it had a few more options for page set up. I've come to enjoy audiobooks so much that they have almost replaced listening to music for me. 

If your into fiction you might also check out certain titles offered by graphic audio which is something between an audiobook and a radio play, they have multiple voice actors and will throw in sound effects and stuff too. I generally prefer audio books because graphic audio will shave omnipresent narration lines down in favor of you "hearing" like that a character felt a certain way or something but they're still kinda neat. 

When i did my reread of Mistborn I used graphic audio

9 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If your into fiction you might also check out certain titles offered by graphic audio which is something between an audiobook and a radio play, they have multiple voice actors and will throw in sound effects and stuff too. I generally prefer audio books because graphic audio will shave omnipresent narration lines down in favor of you "hearing" like that a character felt a certain way or something but they're still kinda neat. 

When i did my reread of Mistborn I used graphic audio

I do a lot of science fiction, fantasy, and mystery/espionage. I also like educational stuff too. Audile's Six Degrees of Assassination might be worth checking out if you like suspense. It's done kind of like a radio broadcast.  Is graphic audio the books that add music for atmosphere?

1 minute ago, Door Gunner said:

I do a lot of science fiction, fantasy, and mystery/espionage. I also like educational stuff too. Audile's Six Degrees of Assassination might be worth checking out if you like suspense. It's done kind of like a radio broadcast.  Is graphic audio the books that add music for atmosphere?

Occasionally but the main draw is every character has its own voice actor and you get some sound effects

15 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Occasionally but the main draw is every character has its own voice actor and you get some sound effects

Ahh OK, most of what I have listen to with multiple voices are like the title I mentioned. Now that I think of it I believe it's the same thing LOL

Edited by Door Gunner
On 9/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, Flip Flop said:

I’ve gotten into reading short books.  I work so much these days, I find it hard to make time to read.  Right now I’m reading Of Mice and Men.  Next up is Metamorphosis,. My wife and her family have a book club.  They are reading A Gentleman in Moscow. I’m thinking of getting in in that one.   

Also, if you've never read him before, George Saunders does amazing short stories. Tenth of December is a modern classic, funny as **** when it's not cutting you deep.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:26 AM, AF89 said:

I already mentioned this in the big thread but this is the one I finished today.

9780316489775_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

Its one of **** of revenge tale/ power fantasy and certain parts your probably going to go "**** yeah!" like out loud. Decent sized book not too short or long and for myself I finished it in a few days as its quite the page turner especially its second half

Its sequel comes out in November I think? Tho I've already seen reviews for it so not sure.

I finally finished it earlier this morning! The 2nd half was moving like lightspeed! Freaking fantastic story and characters! Can't wait for the 2nd book!

Ten Global Trends By Ronald Bailey/Marian Tupy....In this craziest year I can remember since maybe 1968, this totally counter viewpoint to what’s being spewed out in media these days is just good for your soul.

I can’t recommend this one enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Been reading the Lightbringer series for a couple months now and it was really slow at first i honestly couldn't get into it but by the 2nd book I was far more hooked and it might be the closest style to that Robert Jordan/ Sanderson addictive character writing and world building that I've seen in a while.

1*CSs3g0LgjmujBym492lCdQ.jpeg

3 hours ago, AF89 said:

Been reading the Lightbringer series for a couple months now and it was really slow at first i honestly couldn't get into it but by the 2nd book I was far more hooked and it might be the closest style to that Robert Jordan/ Sanderson addictive character writing and world building that I've seen in a while.

1*CSs3g0LgjmujBym492lCdQ.jpeg

I guess I should try that series again for the third time. First time I stopped halfway through the first book. Second time I finished the first and got maybe a fifth through the second. 

12 hours ago, Porkins said:

I guess I should try that series again for the third time. First time I stopped halfway through the first book. Second time I finished the first and got maybe a fifth through the second. 

I'm still working my way through it and I've seen people go both ways in reviews on the final book but feels like the "real story" doesn't begin till Kip stops being useless and self effacing. Or maybe I just enjoy it more I dunno. I actually  also think the writing just gets a little better too tbh. Was pretty close to dropping it for awhile midway through book 1 in what felt like a slog and now suddenly I'm zipping through chapters at a breakneck pace.