#4 Georgia vs Arkansas Game Thread

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love Dwan's story, but there is no way he should be starting another game for UGA at least in the near future. 

Well.... IT'S GAME WEEK FOLKS! Yes it's that time of the year. Leaves are turning, some are falling; the temperatures are slowly dropping as well. It's a strange year and a strange season, but fo

I am eating a bacon, sausage and ham sandwich in support of the roasting of the Arkansas Razorbacks.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

So I'll have to wait for a chance to see the entire game to break it down further, and there's some things like the playcalling that I really can't analyze until, but just from watching what I can get my hands on right now, a few things I noticed.

Mathis had issue obviously, but to be fair, Bennett had more help. Bennett didn't really start doing much of anything till the OL stabilized, and that was one of our biggest issues.

It looks as though they were rotating the OL most of the game. The only real constants were Shaffer at LG, and Salyer at LT, though Truss did come in at LT late.

Shaffer was absolutely our best and most consistent OL in what I saw. Salyer is hard to move, but is so slow at LT that it limits the offense on that side, and also makes him vulnerable to speed rushes. Truss is more mobile, but he's a lot more easily moved off his spot; toss up. 

Hill had some great blocks that I saw, but his snapping issues remain, which may be why they put Ericson in at center for parts of the game. Hill also saw some snaps at RG. Ericson also saw some snaps at RG, but wasn't great. Ericson is easily better at center, but not nearly as much of road grader, which limits opening holes; another toss up.

RG was mostly Cleveland, and he may be the best we have, but like with Hill's bad snaps, I'm just so tired of watching him give the most minimal effort on every play; just enough. He's so frustrating to watch.

RT alternated between Condon and McClendon. Condon was, make no mistake, easily our worst OL early on, and when playing next to "I barely try" Cleveland, the whole right side had serious issues in both pass and run blocking. Now, I will say, they did put him back in later, after benching him, and he played much better, but still wasn't great. He was serviceable though. McClendon was the same of what I saw when he was in; serviceable.

A lot of work to be done there

At RB, Cook may need to be limited to designed plays for him. He's really not a between the tackles guy.

Lastly, one thing I consistently noticed; you live by the Lecounte, you die be the Lecounte. I love Lecounte. He made some of our best defensive plays this game, but he was also responsible for some Arkansas' biggest gains on offense. He always goes for the big play, and when it works, it changes the game in our favor, but when he misses... Let's just hope he's more on the former side than the latter

There's very little out there of footage right now I could find, but these are my opinions for now based on what I could

Mathis look horrible the entire game. The team commuted a solid 100 yards of penalties mostly on defense. The running backs didn't look much better than Mathis. The O line was not bad not good either. Hill can't block in space and I think this offense calls for more mobile OL. 

Stetson came in and saved the game. He just doesn't look like he can produce against the better teams however. JT will be the starter once he's cleared, no doubt about that. 

4 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Stetson shouldn't be starting either. Don't get me wrong, he did well today given the circumstances, but a school like Georgia, which recruits in the upper echelons year in and year out, shouldn't have to turn to a former walk-on at QB. Quite disappointed at our QB situation.

A program like UGA should never have talent issues. Alabama just seems to reload and they recruit in state with Auburn. Georgia is known to be only behind Texas and California in high school talent, and Georgia Tech is not really a direct recruiting challenge right now. 

4 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Stetson shouldn't be starting either. Don't get me wrong, he did well today given the circumstances, but a school like Georgia, which recruits in the upper echelons year in and year out, shouldn't have to turn to a former walk-on at QB. Quite disappointed at our QB situation.

34 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

A program like UGA should never have talent issues. Alabama just seems to reload and they recruit in state with Auburn. Georgia is known to be only behind Texas and California in high school talent, and Georgia Tech is not really a direct recruiting challenge right now. 

Bingo. It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Skott Lee said:

Every top QB we've had has transferred or declared early every year the past 3 years. Jacob Eason, gone early. Jake Fromm, gone early. Justin Fields, gone early. We signed 5 star QBs and none of them are here. I really don't know why people were coming into this thinking we are or should be set at QB. The future looks good, that doesn't mean right now does.

The big deal about Newman was his proven experience, producing at a high level in an offense similar to what we would be implementing with Monken. When Newman decided to opt out I knew we should expect some QB issues... our options at QB after Newman are:

• Bennett - a junior former walk on (who is definitely not a Baker Mayfield clone) who went JUCO for playing time and was only brought back to be a steady backup
  • Daniels - a transfer RS sophomore coming off a major knee injury (who hasn't made many friends in the locker room and still is not cleared for contact)
  • Mathis - RS freshman coming off brain surgery who has nearly transferred multiple times
  • Beck - A true freshman, highly regarded 4 star recruit
  • Walk ons

Anyone who bought into the idea that Newman left because the competition was looking so good should slap themselves. He was clearly the best QB we had on the roster, he just wasn't committed to being our QB. Dude already graduated from a prestigious school and probably has a 2nd round draft stock floor, with a personal coach in his ear about just focusing on the draft process... it is what it is.

Add in a new offensive scheme, new OC, all new group of starters at pretty much every position, super young corps of receivers, significantly impacted offseason training schedule... I mean this wasn't Bama's offense coming back. Our defense is on that level. Our offense is not, thus our 3rd OC in as many years. It's going to take some time for a QB to take over and for the offense to jell, unfortunately.

Saying "we're supposed to have talent, why don't we" is just shallow. We have signed the talent. They all made business decisions to leave early. I was trying to voice this perspective for the past 3-4 weeks and no one wanted to hear it. Here we are. Hopefully things come together quickly. I still think Mathis is a lot better than how he played today, but he's really got to improve from this. Daniels is not going to just get cleared, march in and play lights out. Most of the team doesn't even respect him yet.

2 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

I say we stick with Bennett. Not every qb has to be a fancy 5 star recruit. **** look at Baker mayfield, he was a walk on and was the #1 pick. Sometimes a guy just needs a chance 

it is impressive that Bennett did that with very little snaps in practice.. he was working with the 3rd team, but barely seeing any activity..  that definitely changes this week.. 

10 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

We ain't losing to Florida.....we ain't losing to ******* Auburn either. 

I said go Dawgs! 

I agree. Week one is always a feeling out game especially against an SEC opponent. UGAs defense is heck to deal with. The offense settled in, just have to figure out the QB position but I think Bennett did a really good job of settling things down. Their eventual starter is yet to be determined. At least it’s not Franks lol. 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

well if he does we will lose big. 

I don’t agree.. Mathis didn’t play great but the OL was awful in the first half. Mathis’ biggest plays didn’t count because of holding. I ultimately believe JT Daniels will be the starter because of his ability to throw the ball but until then the coaches have to help Mathis settle down and set him up for success 

1 minute ago, Bdawg58 said:

I don’t agree.. Mathis didn’t play great but the OL was awful in the first half. Mathis’ biggest plays didn’t count because of holding. I ultimately believe JT Daniels will be the starter because of his ability to throw the ball but until then the coaches have to help Mathis settle down and set him up for success 

Yeah coaches should have had some easier bread and butter throws to start the game and get his confidence up.   Now D’Wan will have to overcome more confidence and mental hurdles because his performance was such a disaster.

The OL was really bad - run and pass blocking in that first half.   Easily the 2nd biggest disappointment of the day and furthered D’Wan’s failures

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah coaches should have had some easier bread and butter throws to start the game and get his confidence up.   Now D’Wan will have to overcome more confidence and mental hurdles because his performance was such a disaster.

The OL was really bad - run and pass blocking in that first half.   Easily the 2nd biggest disappointment of the day and furthered D’Wan’s failures

No doubt Mathis has to “toughen” up but it’s understandable considering he hasn’t played a meaningful snap in over 2 years. I feel too many are judging him unfairly and too quickly 

3 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Slayer needs move back inside and have to get brod Jones and Other more mobile guys at OT. Condon obviously won the job at ret cause everyone else sucks??? 

Sayler wasn’t the problem imo.. RG and C were the problem. That’s why in the 2nd half we moved Ericson to C and Hill to RG. I personally think Hill has always been better fit at G

I completely understand the fact that Dwan hasn’t played a game time snap in years.. my issue was how easily he was rattled. After that first hit, which he shouldn’t have taken, he was beyond rattled. Multiple brain farts after that. Running out of bounds short of the first down, the interception, even not getting down inbounds near the end to ice the game. These are mental issues. I’m hoping he gets better because his story is amazing. But from what I watched this past weekend, he needs to see the field in garbage time until he shows he’s ready for more. This year doesn’t allow much, if any, room for error.