When the season is over, please hire Mike McDaniel as Head Coach

On 9/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, A-TowN.- said:

I love Mike McDaniel. He’s very young, but he is incredibly smart. I want him to either be our OC or HC. He is the run game coordinator for the potent 49ers attack. 

Check out the breakdown by Baldy.

What is this foreign concept of 'motion'? 🤔

This is like watching an artist at work. I'd love to get back to this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, I kind of mentally checked-out from this NFL season. A combination of bone-headed coaching with Quinn at the helm once again, and what’s going on in the world.   However, I said it la

I still don't understand why we let so many coaches who worked directly under KS go. They were the prime candidates to continue the flow of the playbook. Man what geniuses we have running the franchis

In 50 years, I will never understand that decision. The Falcons had Mike McDaniel, Matt Lefleur, and Mike Lefleur all signed to the Falcons in 2016. This might be the 2nd biggest blunder by Dan Q

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

But even that does not make sense.  Very publicly, the FO and Quinn announced that we were going to keep the Shanny offense. We literally hired a new OC and in the press conference announced that the new OC would run Shanny's offense.  

WTH?

Dan Quinn and still is a moron.  He may be a nice guy and a great supporter of the military, but he is a confirmed moron.  The moron that stole a championship from this franchise.  

It makes sense. Think about it. Quinn got rid of all the Shanahan disciples. Brought in Sarkisian to essentially run someone else’s playbook while changing it enough so that it wouldn’t be his anymore.

This could have been Quinn’s way of saying to Shanahan that his playbook wasn’t perfect and it’s his fault we lost the SB. So he’s releasing all his disciples and getting his own guys to perfect Shanahan’s playbook. 

Every facet of our team is absolute dog$hit. Quinn was woefully unqualified to run this team any longer. The writing was on the wall when he hired back Dirk Koetter. Since then I checked out on this team’s future. He should have been done at the end of last season.  

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

What is this foreign concept of 'motion'? 🤔

This is like watching an artist at work. I'd love to get back to this.

It really is fascinating to watch how synchronized everything needs to be with these complex zone run schemes. Incredible play designs. 

Not a fan of hiring someone who has never even been an OC, DC, or ST to be the HC here.

Sick of seeing Falcons HCs good enough to get enough wins that we get our hopes up... only to be let down over & over because every time we make the playoffs we lose due to our HCs getting out-coached by opponents with more experience.

Wanna get an experienced HC who can hire Mike McDaniel as the OC? Sign me up.

Wanna place the franchise in the hands of a former alcoholic who has never been more that a position coach? Heck no.

4 hours ago, etherdome said:

But even that does not make sense.  Very publicly, the FO and Quinn announced that we were going to keep the Shanny offense. We literally hired a new OC and in the press conference announced that the new OC would run Shanny's offense.  

WTH?

Dan Quinn and still is a moron.  He may be a nice guy and a great supporter of the military, but he is a confirmed moron.  The moron that stole a championship from this franchise.  

Lmao. What a random qualifier for a person.

gat **** smart post OP. I like McDaniel and also the other LaFleur as well.

Great offensive guys, but can they HC. Thats the question because HC involves more than just being our next great offense mind. But I would sure like these guys to at least be given interviews for a shot at it.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, E. T. said:

I still don't understand why we let so many coaches who worked directly under KS go. They were the prime candidates to continue the flow of the playbook. Man what geniuses we have running the franchise.

Agreed, I will never understand why we were convinced we needed to maintain the same offense yet felt compelled to bring in someone that wasn't around to do it.  

11 minutes ago, caponine said:

No get Eric B or Greg Roman please 

No way. Those two are just like DQ. Coordinators in the shadows of a great HC and a cupboard absolutely over stocked with talent. 

Mike McDaniel is the offensive genius we need. Shanahan refused to let other teams interview McDaniel over the offseason. The NFL actually is implementing a new rule starting next offseason that HCs can no longer deny interviews because of this. 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:17 AM, Maltese Falcon said:

Couldn't agree more.  And he will not leave Shanahan for anything less than a HC position.  This needs to be planned out immediately.  Hopefully McKay has that outside observation about Shanahan's offensive boys too, and how it was that offensive mindset that was the true engine to our Super Bowl run, nothing else.

true!! NOBODY was staying from Shanahans staff EXCEPT the person that would have gotten the OC job. none of the other staff woulda stayed. they woulda all asked for their release...just as Bobby Turner did...who was offered a position. and thus it brings us to Quinn's biggest failure. i've said it in other threads. Quinn failed to recover from the loss of Kyle. he NEVER put together a worthy nor competent staff after that!!! and from the story Carl Dukes told on 92.9 Quinn had problems with staff that pushed back against him...as Carl said about Bryan Cox. but all i know and could see is that he NEVER recovered from Kyle leaving....

Edited by sanfranfalcon

Yes this is exactly what we need. Some one who has worked with either Mike or Kyle Shanahan to run this offense or team. I too was thinking they need to hire someone along the Shanahan line of coaches/ coordinators. Very Good suggestion.

Edited by esirlivE
On 10/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, Sidecar Falcon said:

This could be a sign of hubris on Quinn’s part. Much of the success for that amazing year was given to Shanahan. It makes me wonder if Quinn wanted the credit, and decided to let go of anyone that could possibly take that away from him. 

Definitely why.

18 hours ago, Hard Case said:

Nope, no more retreads. We need a YOUNG , aggressive offensive minded HC

Actually, we don't.

Far more Super Bowls have been won by coaches who already had some sort of head coaching experience.

Did whizkid Shanny win a Super Bowl? Nope, he got out-coached by a retread in Andy Reid.
Did whizkid McVay win a Super Bowl? Nope, got out-coached by the King of the Retreads, Bill Belichick.
Did DQ win a Super Bowl? Nope, also got out-coached by the retread Belichick.

In the last 20 years, 14 Super Bowls were won by coaches with previous HCing experience on some level... compared to just 6 SB wins amongst the coaches who had no prior HCing experience.

In the history of the NFL, there have been 55 Super Bowls played. Coaches with previous HCing experience on some level have won 34 of them, coaches without that experience have won just 21.

IMO what we need is an experienced HC who's not going to continually make boneheaded decisions & get out-coached the way Quinn & Smitty did. You get a dude who actually is familiar with the duties of a HC and can focus on keeping the team well-balanced. Then you get yourself a young, aggressive OC.

So like I mentioned earlier, I'm all for bringing in Mike McDaniel as OC, but for HC? For a dude who's never even been a coordinator? No thanks.

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Actually, we don't.

Far more Super Bowls have been won by coaches who already had some sort of head coaching experience.

Did whizkid Shanny win a Super Bowl? Nope, he got out-coached by a retread in Andy Reid.
Did whizkid McVay win a Super Bowl? Nope, got out-coached by the King of the Retreads, Bill Belichick.
Did DQ win a Super Bowl? Nope, also got out-coached by the retread Belichick.

In the last 20 years, 14 Super Bowls were won by coaches with previous HCing experience on some level... compared to just 6 SB wins amongst the coaches who had no prior HCing experience.

In the history of the NFL, there have been 55 Super Bowls played. Coaches with previous HCing experience on some level have won 34 of them, coaches without that experience have won just 21.

IMO what we need is an experienced HC who's not going to continually make boneheaded decisions & get out-coached the way Quinn & Smitty did. You get a dude who actually is familiar with the duties of a HC and can focus on keeping the team well-balanced. Then you get yourself a young, aggressive OC.

So like I mentioned earlier, I'm all for bringing in Mike McDaniel as OC, but for HC? For a dude who's never even been a coordinator? No thanks.

Shanny and Quinn both had SBs won and blew it.  Peterson won a SB with Foles. McVay got there and Goff shrunk in the lights. Literally the last 4 SBs have had a first time HC in them with 1 of the 4 winning it. The 3 losses came against Bill and Reid. 

The chances of finding an Andy Reid or Bill Belichick with a retread rehire is slim to none. I'd rather take my chance with an offensive minded OC promotion.

38 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Shanny and Quinn both had SBs won and blew it.  Peterson won a SB with Foles. McVay got there and Goff shrunk in the lights. Literally the last 4 SBs have had a first time HC in them with 1 of the 4 winning it. The 3 losses came against Bill and Reid. 

The chances of finding an Andy Reid or Bill Belichick with a retread rehire is slim to none. I'd rather take my chance with an offensive minded OC promotion.

Exactly my point. The inexperienced coordinator-turned coach can win you enough games to make the playoffs, but then get's out-coached by the time they're facing more experienced HCs in the playoffs.

The only reason Bill and Andy became who they are is because they got another chance. Reid was a hotshot coordinator-turned HC when he was hired by the Eagles. And what did he do there? He got them to the playoffs regularly but always came up short. It wasn't until he took the lessons learned from that experience to a different, better situation & he was finally able to put it all together. The same thing goes for Bill after he went 36-44 with just one playoff appearance in 5 years as the Browns' HC. His Browns would regularly start the season well enough to be in the mix, only to flame out by the end of the year. It was only after taking the knowledge gained form that experience to a different, better situation in New England that things came together for him as a HC.

Also, I'm not specifically referring to former NFL HCs, although that's obviously more ideal. But coaches with experience in that role on the college, arena, CFL, or even high school level seem to have a better chance of panning out than those who don't have any experience whatsoever as a HC.

Heck, Andy Reid specifically looks for coaches with a background as high school HCs, because they have to be good at teaching & understanding the fundamentals in all aspects of a team rather than just being focussed on one side of the ball or a specific position group. That's actually why he hired both Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy to his staff.

So if we add that into the mix, your sample of the last 4 SBs goes to 0-4 for coaches with no previous HCing experience on any level.

And then there's also something to be said for offensive coaches who have been QB coaches at some point. Having to focus on a position which is the generally regarded as the most important on the team, having to understand how to read a defense & know all aspects of every play on offense (blocking, routes, etc.) takes a little more well-balanced coach than say a coach who has only ever been a RB coach, or TE coach, WR coach, etc.

So when you look at winning coaches in the history of the NFL, they tend to have had some sort of HCing experience previously, and those who don't, at least the offensive coaches, tend to have previously been QB coaches at some point along the way.

Guys like Mike McDaniel and Eric Beinemy don't fit either of those criteria.