When the season is over, please hire Mike McDaniel as Head Coach

atlvicktim08

Honestly, I kind of mentally checked-out from this NFL season. A combination of bone-headed coaching with Quinn at the helm once again, and what’s going on in the world.

However, I said it last year that the worst thing to happen to the 2019 Falcons, was going 6-2 in the last 8 games. That run truly fooled Atlanta faithful, desperate for success and tricked people into thinking that the Falcons were turning a corner and consequently extended Dan Quinn’s time as head coach. 

Quinn is supposed to be this defensive mastermind from Seattle, and unfortunately in year six we are still talking about the defensive issues with this team, thus I’m confident (barring some huge defensive turnaround and a deep playoff run) Quinn will be fired by Arthur Blank, no later than season’s end. 

With that said, for Matt Ryan’s last four to five years with this club, please give him an offensive minded head coach. Additionally, since we are not moving away from Kyle Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, which I agree with, please hire  Shanahan’s right-hand man, Mike McDaniel.

Mcdaniel has been with Shanahan for at least 13 years, he is considered across the league to be a run-game genius, as he is currently the run game coordinator in San Fran; he was a part of the offensive staff with the Falcons 2016 super bowl year, thus he’s familiar with Matt Ryan, and he is the best person in the league to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme that will be available.

Matt Ryan has 5 years left at best, with elite play, so like Drew Brees has had the luxury of having an offensive genius as his head coach for  15 years, for these remaining years, the Falcons owe Matt Ryan, Mike McDaniels.

In 50 years, I will never understand that decision. The Falcons had Mike McDaniel, Matt Lefleur, and Mike Lefleur all signed to the Falcons in 2016.

This might be the 2nd biggest blunder by Dan Quinn.

Why let them all leave under Shanahan. Doing Shanahan a favor, would of been to let him take one assistant with him to San Fran, but to let him take his entire crew and leave no one behind in Atlanta to run the Shanahan offense is beyond stupid. Then you immediately look around the league and in college, for anyone to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, but you had three people on staff that could run it, with Shanahan in San Fran, and we’ really been playing catch-up ever since...

8 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I still don't understand why we let so many coaches who worked directly under KS go. They were the prime candidates to continue the flow of the playbook. Man what geniuses we have running the franchise.

In 50 years, I will never understand that decision. The Falcons had Mike McDaniel, Matt Lefleur, and Mike Lefleur all signed to the Falcons in 2016.

Why let them all leave under Shanahan. Doing Shanahan a favor, would of been to let him take one assistant with him to San Fran, but to let him take his entire crew and leave no one behind in Atlanta to run the Shanahan offense is beyond stupid. Then you immediately look around the league and in college, for anyone to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, but you had three people on staff that could run it, with Shanahan in San Fran, and we’ve been playing catch-up ever since...

13 minutes ago, atlvicktim08 said:

Why let them all leave under Shanahan. Doing Shanahan a favor, would of been to let him take one assistant with him to San Fran, but to let him take his entire crew and leave no one behind in Atlanta to run the Shanahan offense is beyond stupid. Then you immediately look around the league and in college, for anyone to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, but you had three people on staff that could run it, with Shanahan in San Fran, and we’ really been playing catch-up ever since...

We are talking about the coach here who probably told his players to let the ball roll out of bounce instead of fall on it, or at the very least wasn't out there screaming his lungs out for players to fall on the ball with the game on line. The same coach who blew a 28-3 lead late into the third quarter of the superbowl, the same coach who had our team playing the worst defense in NFL history early last year before we turned it around, and now this year has reverted to deploy the same defensive strategy that didn't work early last year. Quinn isn't known for making smart decisions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more.  And he will not leave Shanahan for anything less than a HC position.  This needs to be planned out immediately.  Hopefully McKay has that outside observation about Shanahan's offensive boys too, and how it was that offensive mindset that was the true engine to our Super Bowl run, nothing else.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:04 AM, atlvicktim08 said:

Why let them all leave under Shanahan. Doing Shanahan a favor, would of been to let him take one assistant with him to San Fran, but to let him take his entire crew and leave no one behind in Atlanta to run the Shanahan offense is beyond stupid. Then you immediately look around the league and in college, for anyone to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, but you had three people on staff that could run it, with Shanahan in San Fran, and we’ve been playing catch-up ever since...

This could be a sign of hubris on Quinn’s part. Much of the success for that amazing year was given to Shanahan. It makes me wonder if Quinn wanted the credit, and decided to let go of anyone that could possibly take that away from him. 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, E. T. said:

I still don't understand why we let so many coaches who worked directly under KS go. They were the prime candidates to continue the flow of the playbook. Man what geniuses we have running the franchise.

And then they let Sark go right when he finally started finding his own groove in the WCO....SMH.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:48 AM, atlvicktim08 said:

Honestly, I kind of mentally checked-out from this NFL season. A combination of bone-headed coaching with Quinn at the helm once again, and what’s going on in the world.

However, I said it last year that the worst thing to happen to the 2019 Falcons, was going 6-2 in the last 8 games. That run truly fooled Atlanta faithful, desperate for success and tricked people into thinking that the Falcons were turning a corner and consequently extended Dan Quinn’s time as head coach. 

Quinn is supposed to be this defensive mastermind from Seattle, and unfortunately in year six we are still talking about the defensive issues with this team, thus I’m confident (barring some huge defensive turnaround and a deep playoff run) Quinn will be fired by Arthur Blank, no later than season’s end. 

With that said, for Matt Ryan’s last four to five years with this club, please give him an offensive minded head coach. Additionally, since we are not moving away from Kyle Shanahan’s playbook and scheme, which I agree with, please hire  Shanahan’s right-hand man, Mike McDaniel.

Mcdaniel has been with Shanahan for at least 13 years, he is considered across the league to be a run-game genius, as he is currently the run game coordinator in San Fran; he was a part of the offensive staff with the Falcons 2016 super bowl year, thus he’s familiar with Matt Ryan, and he is the best person in the league to run Shanahan’s playbook and scheme that will be available.

Matt Ryan has 5 years left at best, with elite play, so like Drew Brees has had the luxury of having an offensive genius as his head coach for  15 years, for these remaining years, the Falcons owe Matt Ryan, Mike McDaniels.

I like it, this is a move that makes perfect sense. 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, E. T. said:

I feel that is what the organisation has to start building, a constant flow of stability (including style of play). Chopping and changing ideas confuses the players, get them doing what they do best and stick to it.

13 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

This could be a sign of hubris on Quinn’s part. Much of the success for that amazing year was given to Shanahan. It makes me wonder if Quinn wanted the credit, and decided to let go of anyone that could possibly take that away from him. 

That would be the only logical explanation, because that decision made no sense. BTW Ryan has got to be the most powerless Franchise QB in the NFL. He could’ve wielded his power and ask to keep someone from that staff.

15 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

But even that does not make sense.  Very publicly, the FO and Quinn announced that we were going to keep the Shanny offense. We literally hired a new OC and in the press conference announced that the new OC would run Shanny's offense.  

WTH?

Dan Quinn and still is a moron.  He may be a nice guy and a great supporter of the military, but he is a confirmed moron.  The moron that stole a championship from this franchise.  

Baldy did a nice breakdown of the McDaniels/Shanny run game.  

I am certainly on board with the McDaniels hiring, IF MM is a good organizer, a guy that can bring in a good DC and a guy that can manage his coaching staff with detail and confidence.  

He has to be intelligent and be able to dole out specific responsibilities to every one of his staff.

IF Mike McDaniels fits that mold, then I am definitely in.