A TDWII Observation: To Rebuild with Matt Ryan at the Helm Doesn’t Make Much Sense

If Arthur Blank could have dreamt up a worst-case scenario when he decided against the grain to retain Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn this past January, I can’t imagine he would have done so to the depths the Falcons find themselves in after collapsing violently yesterday.  Dredging up memories beyond of the worst moment in Falcons history…let’s just hope October 29th doesn’t become a recognized sports holiday in Dallas.

If the playoffs were a mandate for Dimitroff and Quinn to keep their job beyond 2020, at worst they’re looking at having to go 9-5 to have a shot at the playoffs.  9 wins?  For a team that despite playing some tremendous football for 3 quarters and being up 19 points…found an improbable way to lose.  Again.  

Full disclosure – I was never on board with keeping Dimitroff/Quinn this season.  While yesterday’s loss was shocking…I’m not shocked the Falcons find themselves in the position they’re in.  And so all Blank did was delay the inevitable by a year, holding out hope that somehow, someway, the Falcons could recapture the magic of 2016 since once upon a time, the Falcons had a magical run.  Hope is not a strategy.  Blank made a bad bet.

So we all know what’s coming…whether it comes in October or January makes no difference really.  But ask yourself this.  Whoever comes on board as the next GM/HC combo, are they going to want to rebuild around a 36-year old QB, one who has been around not only for this entire run…but the preceding franchise collapse that got the previous HC fired and the GM’s duties…reduced? 

When DQ took over the Falcons, Ryan was a 30-year old QB in his prime.  His primary weapon was a 26-year old ascendant HOF talent himself.  Taking over a team with such a bright 5-year playing horizon offered an attractive window to any candidate.  But you can almost see Julio aging by the week and Ryan?  Well, the Falcons are 53-61 in their last 114.  He may not be the problem in Atlanta, but he clearly hasn’t been the solution either.  Ryan’s football DNA is imprinted on this franchise…and this franchise has underachieved…badly.  And if Ryan’s football DNA isn’t imprinted on this franchise…then don’t the Falcons have an even bigger problem?

Some might think it unfair to pin the Falcons fate and record on Ryan.  To a certain extent it is…he’s had stretches of brilliance even outside his spectacular MVP season.  But it’s inescapable that since 2013, the Falcons have but two winning seasons.  If form holds, that’ll be out of 8.  Bill Parcells famously said, you are what your record says you are.  And the Falcons have largely been abysmal since 2013.  
Listen…the next number the Falcons retire should be Ryan’s, whenever that time comes – he goes to the front of the line.  This is not an indictment on what he’s done and meant to this franchise.  But what does it say about a franchise if they position Ryan as the key ingredient in their next iteration?  If you’re not holding your ‘franchise QB’ responsible for your franchises performance – then who can you hold accountable? 

This may not be 2007 when the whole thing burned down to the ground.  But that was an involuntary acknowledgement that there was nothing left.  2020?  This might require the toughest decision of all for Blank.  TD/DQ…they’ll be easy, the writing has been on the wall for awhile now and the mandate was clear.  What’s necessary requires deeper cuts.  

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao... Only in Atlanta.. this has to be the dumbest **** I've read today. The Falcons don't need a rebuild and you don't get rid of a great QB, until he is done. 

If Arthur Blank could have dreamt up a worst-case scenario when he decided against the grain to retain Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn this past January, I can’t imagine he would have done so to the de

Must be Ryans fault that he's been backed by historically bad defenses the majority of his career. If the Ravens drafted Ryan instead of Flacco he would have 3 super bowls at least and Lamar Jackson w

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Dredging up memories beyond of the worst moment in Falcons history…let’s just hope October 29th doesn’t become a recognized sports holiday in Dallas.

October 29th? You in a different universe, my guy?

Anyway, in spite of the weird self-importance of your posts, I agree that it's hard seeing a successful future with Ryan at the helm at this point...not because he's bad (he's playing well overall, despite the fact he should have had a couple INTs yesterday), but because he's a massive part of this team's identity. As long as the next HC comes in and tries to build around him, it'll be tough shaking that identity. An identity of pathetic chokers. The next HC needs to be able to build a team how he wants to, a team with a strong identity, no holds barred.

Well if you get the #1 pick and can get Trevor Lawrence then it's an idea to think about. Matt Ryan will probably give you another good 2-3 years and after that, he's near 40 and who knows. I think Trevor Lawrence has a much higher ceiling than Ryan and can be a Patrick Mahomes/Lamar Jackson/Deshaun Watson/Kyler Murray/Russell Wilson type with a huge arm, accuracy, and very athletic (can run). It'll be like Green Bay going from Favre to Aaron Rodgers and you can have a franchise QB for the next 15 years.

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I liked the part where you explained how we get rid of Ryan even if we wanted to. We're 27 mil over the cap next year and cutting him makes that hole even deeper. What a pointless 'observation'

They lost me at playing tremendous football for 3 quarters. 

We AT BEST played great for ten minutes of the first quarter. Then played not to lose the rest of the way.

16 minutes ago, falcon app said:

i can see where you are coming from but the logic does not add up. Ryan is an ok QB, not great as some here believe, but good enough. The main issue is why move him when the cap situation is so dire?  If anything, he might help a new coach settle in and move Ryan when ready.

Ryan an ok QB? GTFOH 

45 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

October 29th? You in a different universe, my guy?

Anyway, in spite of the weird self-importance of your posts, I agree that it's hard seeing a successful future with Ryan at the helm at this point...not because he's bad (he's playing well overall, despite the fact he should have had a couple INTs yesterday), but because he's a massive part of this team's identity. As long as the next HC comes in and tries to build around him, it'll be tough shaking that identity. An identity of pathetic chokers. The next HC needs to be able to build a team how he wants to, a team with a strong identity, no holds barred.

This really encapsulates where the Falcons are...fair or not, Ryan IS a massive part of this teams identity.  The Falcons need a new identity but that gets compromised if Ryan is still here.

7 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Seeing Matt Ryan having to learn yet a new offense in his dwindling years on top of having a trash defense going forward just doesn’t seem the least bit appealing.

Ryan won't be learning anything he hasn't already had experience in at this point. The whole West Coast switch was an adjustment in 2015, but anything else at this point , will be easy for him.

In part we kind of deserve this much losing and blowing leads because a large portion of our fan base believes this. 

We have talent as you can see during stretches of the game. I’ve said it before: we have the talent to beat anybody, but also the talent to lose to about anybody. It averages out to about 7-9 or 8-8. 

We don’t need a rebuild, we need coaches that are competent

All the MR lovers in here . Hating to hear the hard truth . Y’all defend the guy like he’s a winner or some sort . He’s just Phillip Rivers , Tony Romo or Carson Palmer in a Falcon uniform . He’s just as much responsible for blowing leads & losing the games as those 2 Bums Mike Smith & Danny Quinn . Lmfaooo . Never seen a fan base so attached to bums but I guess that’s how it is when you’re not use to having nice things . I understand the financial part about not moving This year or nextbut for people to be 100% outright against the thought of getting a new QB is sad . Choking is ingrained in Matt’s DNA same as it is the Falcons .  He’s not gonna will us to wins & he hasn’t won anything since he’s been here .. that whole “we can win with him” is overrated & old at this point . We can lose with somebody else the same way we’ve been losing with “the greatest QB In Failcon history” lol . New blood is needed . Wish we could get a new owner as well . 

7 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

He’s just good & that’s all he’s ever been only people who think Matt has ever been great is homers & people who care about empty stats .

Must be Ryans fault that he's been backed by historically bad defenses the majority of his career. If the Ravens drafted Ryan instead of Flacco he would have 3 super bowls at least and Lamar Jackson would be on a different team because Ryan would still be winning there.

I love Ryan but the precedent for winning a Super Bowl with a QB his age is Elway’s Broncos which had an historic running game and a lot of good pieces on defense and Manning’s Broncos which had an historic defense. I just don’t know that I see the Falcons developing historic levels on either side of the ball in the next 2-3 years. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Must be Ryans fault that he's been backed by historically bad defenses the majority of his career. If the Ravens drafted Ryan instead of Flacco he would have 3 super bowls at least and Lamar Jackson would be on a different team because Ryan would still be winning there.

Bro no one cares about hypotheticals .  Flacco was good at one point & Matt is still currently good . Neither have ever been better than good . Idc who was on what team . We constantly choke & lose with Matt & here come the homers with hypotheticals & all these well if scenarios . Point is Matt is just good & can be upgraded . That’s all . 

36 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If you can draft Lance without having to give up too much draft capital, do it.  @Ovie_Lover first introduced me to Lance a year ago.....dude could be special.

And Luck was destined to win 3 SBs and he was out of the league in year 7. One never knows, we cannot hedge bets on these things.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I liked the part where you explained how we get rid of Ryan even if we wanted to. We're 27 mil over the cap next year and cutting him makes that hole even deeper. What a pointless 'observation'

Actually its not, you typically sit a rookie for a season see what the packers and steelers are doing. 

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Bro no one cares about hypotheticals .  Flacco was good at one point & Matt is still currently good . Neither have ever been better than good . Idc who was on what team . We constantly choke & lose with Matt & here come the homers with hypotheticals & all these well if scenarios . Point is Matt is just good & can be upgraded . That’s all . 

39 points scored 4 TDs zero turnovers. Certainly Ryans fault that the defense is swiss and the ST idiots couldn't fall on a ball.

• TheDirtyWordII changed the title to A TDWII Observation: To Rebuild with Matt Ryan at the Helm Doesn’t Make Much Sense