8 hours ago, kenn.junior said:

You cant blame Nagy look at his QB i bet if naggy had Matt he would be doing work right now. I would take Nagy over Koetter and Quinn any day of the week

It's funny you mentioned that because when Mitchell Trubisky was coming out of the draft his NFL comp was Matt Ryan. And while Nagy inherited Trubisky, he took the job knowing that Trubisky was going to be the QB. He was hired specifically to develop Trubisky.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not want. Tired of the Falcons hiring unproven coordinators that made their names riding the coattails of great head coaches. Look at Matt Nagy with the Bears. He was supposed to be great too. But

Yep...although I’d also be fine with a coordinator who clearly runs the offense or defense on their team and isn’t run through the HC’s system. 

Coat-tails how...He has been with Reid since 98 in Philly and worked his way up the letter. If anything Quinn was a coat tail coach. We need a mind like Bieniemy. We would keep building the OL and run

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Spts1 said:

You do know that Andy Reid came up under DIRK KOETTER and Mike Holmgren don't you?   No you didn't...  KOETTER and Holmgren are the minds behind Andy Reid so hiring Eric Bienemy fits the pattern...:lol:

KOETTER with Andy Reid chilling in the background...

Dave Matter on Twitter: "Mizzou Zubaz circa 1991. Dirk Koetter, Andy Reid,  Marty Mornhinweg http://t.co/kboxrULKGe"

Andy Reid is from the Mike Holmgren tree. I knew that.

But you couldn't be more wrong about Dirk Koetter. Koetter and Holmgren have never coached together. Koetter has no ties whatsoever to anyone from the Bill Walsh (WCO) coaching tree. It's why he's had such a struggle trying to run Kyle's system.

Screenshot 2020-09-21 132801.png

4 hours ago, N1985oles! said:

Would you like to also mention Pederson at Phi being unproven?  Every great head coach is unproven before greatness.  Tired of people thinking established great head coaches get walking papers.  

How great was Pete Carroll before he was great?  What about Belichik?  Was Andy Reid always a great head coach when he was at GB being a QB coach?  

Fans like this are why Atlanta is not respected at ANY level of sports from the players down to the fans.

Doug Pederson was good early in his going with the Eagles but the last few years they've really struggled and are 0-2 this year. Honestly, Pederson has 1 good year with the Eagles and they won the Super Bowl. In his other years with the Eagles they're only 25-25. They've done that playing in a terrible division. Had they been in the same division with the Saints they wouldn't even be 25-25.

13 hours ago, lju713 said:

I agree. But somebody has to call the plays and develop the talent. Mahomes didn't walk in and say Im the greatest now listen to me. He has coached up and Bieniemy doesn't get his credit. If he were a white coach he would've been hired years ago.... Just saying.

Doesn't have a **** thing to do with him being black! It has everything to do with the fact that AR is the play caller. Also how many college RB's do you know are HC's anywhere? There maybe someone, but I can't think of one.  

He also may not interview well. He might be smart about football, but can he articulate it in an interview? 

4 hours ago, N1985oles! said:

Haha Alex Smith went 9-0 to start his Chiefs career and went 11-0 in 2015.....yep its all Mahomes that makes the Andy Reid offense run.....for God sake Andy Reid offense made Kevin Kolb filthy rich.  Its not just Mahomes that makes Andy Reid offense great....its Andy Reid and Co

The Chiefs never had a record setting offense with Alex Smith and they were still always losing in the pllayoffs with Alex Smith. I've done explained that is what I meant in other posts.

16 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's funny you mentioned that because when Mitchell Trubisky was coming out of the draft his NFL comp was Matt Ryan. And while Nagy inherited Trubisky, he took the job knowing that Trubisky was going to be the QB. He was hired specifically to develop Trubisky.

What pundit/site compared him to Matt Ryan? A quick Google search came up with two sites comparing him to Ryan Tannehill. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I see a bunch of people saying that we need a “proven” head coach. That’s all well and good however there’s a reason why some of these head coaches are on the unemployment line. It’s because they have proven they can’t handle it in the NFL anymore. 

I remember when Quinn got hired, there was this MASSIVE group of people that wanted us to hire Rex Ryan instead. Like they were so adamant. They claimed he didn’t have a QB, he’s not an issue, etc. Bills wound up hiring him and Ryan is now on the unemployment line.

I see a lot of people clamoring for Harbaugh. Seeing the amount of drama this dude has been associated with makes me wonder if he would be a distraction to this team. He’s taken Michigan to 5 bowl games but only won one. That’s a very interesting thing to look at when someone who is considered a HC candidate. 

Of the 32 NFL Head Coaches that are currently employed. 23 had ZERO NFL Head Coaching experience before being hired. Unless your name is Belichick then you’re replaceable. Plain and simple.

There is no recipe for success. You hire the candidate that will give you the best shot at winning. The NFL isn’t a rehash league. They hire new blood all the time and it pays off more often than it doesn’t. Eliminating candidates based solely on the fact that they have no NFL Head Coaching experience is asinine reasoning. 

Bienemy is going to be one of the hottest names this off-season. I expect us to do our due diligence before hiring anyone regardless but he’s on my list of potential HCs; right along with Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, and Brian Daboll. 

Who cares what Harbaugh's college record is when he has a proven NFL record?

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Doesn't have a **** thing to do with him being black! It has everything to do with the fact that AR is the play caller. Also how many college RB's do you know are HC's anywhere? There maybe someone, but I can't think of one.  

He also may not interview well. He might be smart about football, but can he articulate it in an interview? 

Agreed.   It has nothing to do with it.  Head coach and OC are completely different skill sets, even if Bienemy was calling the plays.  I said before in this thread I'd love to get a guy like Anthony Lynn who is well spoken, organized, and has done the job before over the flavor-of-the-week coordinator.  I'd prefer a HC who DOES NOT call the plays so they can focus on game management.  I think special teams coaches get overlooked all the time and seem to do better jobs when hired than most other coordinators.

10 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The only "retread" I even want to consider is Jim Harbaugh and it's because he's a proven NFL winner. All the rest of the retreads you could hire are proven NFL failures. Harbaugh is also the total opposite of rah rah and I'm more than fed up with rah rah types. Blank loves the guys that are great salesmen but when the going gets tough they can't rah rah the ship and turn things around. It's why we always have bad winning and losing streaks under Quinn. Had the same problem with Mora. Just sick of that buddy buddy players coach crap. Get me someone who's not afraid to chew out Matt Ryan's *** when he deserves it or any other player. Enough with the soft mentality. We need a hard ***. Falcons have been soft far too long.

I have thought this for a long time, and I've posted it in the past. This coach bro ******** got old a long time ago, even though many on these boards keep saying that the players love him, and that counts for something. 

There is ZERO accountability here. We need someone that can hold some feet to the fire.

11 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I have thought this for a long time, and I've posted it in the past. This coach bro ******** got old a long time ago, even though many on these boards keep saying that the players love him, and that counts for something. 

There is ZERO accountability here. We need someone that can hold some feet to the fire.

I think it is about balance, and the ability to do both.  No one wants some crazed lunatic who MF's players and coaches for no reason (Bill O'Brien anyone?).  But they don't want someone who will be walked all over (like Jason Garrett) either.  Get a guy who the players like, respect, but also fear.  Hard combo to find, but they are out there... and they may not be the guys who are running the top units just because they have Patrick Mahomes on their roster.

Edited by FloweryStump
9 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Agreed.   It has nothing to do with it.  Head coach and OC are completely different skill sets, even if Bienemy was calling the plays.  I said before in this thread I'd love to get a guy like Anthony Lynn who is well spoken, organized, and has done the job before over the flavor-of-the-week coordinator.  I'd prefer a HC who DOES NOT call the plays so they can focus on game management.  I think special teams coaches get overlooked all the time and seem to do better jobs when hired than most other coordinators.

John Harbaugh was special teams coordinator for years in Philadelphia under Andy Reid. He's had a pretty **** good run as an NFL head coach.

6 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Who cares what Harbaugh's college record is when he has a proven NFL record?

Comes into play when an “proven” head coach can’t win on the college level. I’m not totally against Harbaugh. There’s a small part of me that would be ok with it. However the drama that was in the 49ers organization is something I would not want here. And it’s something I doubt Blank would want to be involved with. 

6 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I seem to recall him being compared to Ryan.

I can’t find anything comparing him to Matt Ryan at all. I can see the Ryan Tannehill comparison. Matt Ryan, not at all. 

52 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Andy Reid is from the Mike Holmgren tree. I knew that.

But you couldn't be more wrong about Dirk Koetter. Koetter and Holmgren have never coached together. Koetter has no ties whatsoever to anyone from the Bill Walsh (WCO) coaching tree. It's why he's had such a struggle trying to run Kyle's system.

Screenshot 2020-09-21 132801.png

Brah stop. I said Andy Reid came under both them, so you changed it up to Koetter not being under Holmgren... nice try but it didn't work...

14 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yep...although I’d also be fine with a coordinator who clearly runs the offense or defense on their team and isn’t run through the HC’s system. 

I was one of the ones saying keep Quinn late last season.  So I'm part of the problem.  But I honestly think we crapped the bed big time not hiring Kevin Stefanski last year.

He was the one.  I don't see another, including Bienemy, who I like.  Pete Carmichaels could be a good choice, but who knows if he's a decent head coach, and it's always and forever Payton's offense.  At least Carmichaels has called plays.

The only offensive coaches I'd risk a flyer on are folks like Mike McDaniel in San Fran, but even there, he doesn't call plays.  There are possibly folks I haven't yet considered, but of those I know, Stefanski is the only one I said "if we had a chance to hire that guy....."

But now it's gone.

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I was one of the ones saying keep Quinn late last season.  So I'm part of the problem.  But I honestly think we crapped the bed big time not hiring Kevin Stefanski last year.

He was the one.  I don't see another, including Bienemy, who I like.  Pete Carmichaels could be a good choice, but who knows if he's a decent head coach, and it's always and forever Payton's offense.  At least Carmichaels has called plays.

The only offensive coaches I'd risk a flyer on are folks like Mike McDaniel in San Fran, but even there, he doesn't call plays.  There are possibly folks I haven't yet considered, but of those I know, Stefanski is the only one I said "if we had a chance to hire that guy....."

But now it's gone.

Dave Toub would be a guy I'd like to take a closer look at.  I am more surprised no one has given him a chance than Bienemy.  Carmichael doesn't seem to have much of a presence to me as HC material.  Stefanski might work out... but a little on the young side and too risky for my approval.

Edited by FloweryStump
Just now, FloweryStump said:

Dave Toub would be a guy I'd like to take a closer look at.  I am more surprised no one has given him a chance than Bienemy.  Carmichael doesn't seem to have much of a presence to me as HC material.  Stefanski might work out... but a little on the young side and too risky for my approval.

I was sold on Stefanski early last season.  He did something I found remarkable and wondered why we don't do it.  He showed up as the OC in Minny and said "we're going to run this one concept in practice, over, and over, and over, until it's second nature."  That concept was the wide zone run.  He told them "the entire offense works off of this, so you have to have it down."

They got it down.  And while they did not have an historic season or win the Super Bowl, they were a lot better than anyone thought they'd be.  Because they had an identity and the identity is proven and it works.

Put a WCO passing attack over the top of it and you have the stuff Super Bowls are made of.  

Granted, it isn't that easy or everyone would do it.  But the fortitude to believe in it that much and do it that way -- the great OCs know what they do works and they force you to do it.  That's why there's tension when they come in.  Us in 2015.  Aaron Rodgers last season.  But once the players realize it works, they buy in and that, my friends, is where magic happens.  Not because the system is so great.  But because the belief in the system engenders trust.

Same on defense, but I don't want another defensive coach, so......

4 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Dave Toub would be a guy I'd like to take a closer look at.  I am more surprised no one has given him a chance than Bienemy.  Carmichael doesn't seem to have much of a presence to me as HC material.  Stefanski might work out... but a little on the young side and too risky for my approval.

I don't know much about him, but I like the little bit my Google-fu is bringing up.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He only had a 34-30 overall record with the Cowboys but had 3 winnings seasons in 4 years and made the playoffs twice.

But that wouldn't have made anyone an attractive candidate. It's decisions that Payton has made that has made him a good HC. Picking up Brees, when the rest of the league didn't want him. That's a d@mn good job of scouting. As a coach, you should know the players that will fit into your system. 

More than anything, whoever we hire, I want it to be someone like Shanahan or Payton.  Someone who knows the offensive side of the ball and is fearless in implementing his system because he knows it works, and insists that players do their part within it.  Everyone was mad about cutting Roddy -- until we went to the Super Bowl.  Shanahan knew Roddy wasn't the guy.  He knew.  Because Roddy wasn't buying in or doing the work.

I love Roddy White.  But I love the thought of a Super Bowl more.  So I want someone who has zero sacred cows and doesn't mind upsetting the apple cart.  Cut Julio?  Cut Ryan?  Cut whomever?  Fine. As long as your way works, get rid of everyone who isn't on board and sculpt the team in your image.

If it's Toub, well, the one thing I like about the little I've read is he has been around long enough to know who can coach and who can't, something Dan Quinn clearly has a huge issue with.

Go look at Mahomes post season interview. He said Bieniemy helps with the install and gameplan for the week. I sure he can call plays. Anybody is a better coach than Quinn. Race does play a part into it fellas. No african american owners. No GMs except 1. Also.how many black OC are they??? But race doesn't play a part. I will go out on a limb and say Bieniemy is a better HC than Riley Lincoln will be for the Falcons. We need a coach with a plan and a game plan and idea of how to use his players. What has Joe Judge proven that Bieniemy hasn't???

Edited by lju713
3 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

But that wouldn't have made anyone an attractive candidate. It's decisions that Payton has made that has made him a good HC. Picking up Brees, when the rest of the league didn't want him. That's a d@mn good job of scouting. As a coach, you should know the players that will fit into your system. 

Nick Saban wanted Drew Brees in Miami and management wouldn't listen to him. Sean Payton was good enough as OC of the Giants to take a Kerry Collins led Giants offense to the Super Bowl. That counts for something.

2 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Go look at Mahomes post season interview. He said Bieniemy helps with the install and gameplan for the week. I sure he can call plays. Anybody is a better coach than Quinn. Race does play a part into it fellas. No african american owners. No GMs except 1. Also.how many black OC are they??? But race doesn't play a part. I will go out on a limb and say Bieniemy is a better HC than Riley Lincoln will be for the Falcons. We need a coach with a plan and a game plan and idea of how to use his players.

I agree race may come into play in the part of owners, but it is not part of what I am talking about.  I said I'd like A. Lynn because he's experienced.  And everyone in the Chiefs building will say Bienemy deserves a chance... what would you expect them to say?  Beware coaches that get hired because of their success with elite quarterbacks.  Exhibit #A:  Adam Gase with Peyton Manning.