Jump to content

Why are we wasting our HOF QB years like the Dolphins wasted Marino's years?


WhenFalconsWin
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, FloweryStump said:

LOL... I am a retired coach.  I'm done with it brother!😁

Geez!  You inspired me man...I thought you were young. That’s ok though. I love the knowledge you brought. I honestly don’t have it man. I played, but... I’m in logistics. Supply chain management. Railroad. I was digging what you were bringing though. Still am.  Good stuff! Thanks! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Black Francis said:

Geez!  You inspired me man...I thought you were young. That’s ok though. I love the knowledge you brought. I honestly don’t have it man. I played, but... I’m in logistics. Supply chain management. Railroad. I was digging what you were bringing though. Still am.  Good stuff! Thanks! 

 

Well, I am not retired, just retired from coaching and on to a "real" job.  I'm a 40-something, but coached for a dozen years at the college level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Well, I am not retired, just retired from coaching and on to a "real" job.  I'm a 40-something, but coached for a dozen years at the college level.

I totally get that. I do. Believe me. We’re not that far a part. Sometimes you have to move on. Doesn’t take away the knowledge though. Life happens. At least you’re honest and not faking the funk. Thanks for that. Means something to me, for what it’s worth. Not much these days...still though...I liked your analysis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

You can't possibly suggest that the Dolphins should have fired Don Shula (most wins in NFL history) or not hired Jimmy Johnson (built the Cowboys teams that won 3 Super Bowls). I have no idea where you're going with the Dolphins and Marino thing. He had 2 of the greatest coaches ever.

This was not about Shula, but in hindsight, the Dolphins pretty much did the same thing the Falcons are doing to Ice. No defense for over a decade.  The premise is two HOF QBs that should have won a SB, not about the coaches they played under.  The Defense albatross just happened to be their legacy unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FloweryStump said:

I just posted this on another thread but it might be more pertinent on this one:

Koetter is NOT the problem.  We have one of the most explosive offenses in the League!  39 points and no turnovers today?  C'mon dude...

The problem is DEFENSE!  And I am not a fan of Quinn or the DC... but the problem is MUCH DEEPER than that.  Dimitroff is the problem.

In 13 years under Dimitroff's leadership, our defense has ranked in the Top 10 only ONCE (#9 in 2017).  Additionally, we have only been in the top HALF of the League 3 times in the last 13 seasons.  That is with two defensive-minded head coaches who got the job here by displaying that they KNOW how to coach defense and put together Top 5 (#1 for Quinn) units on their previous stops.  The problem is PERSONNEL.  Dimitroff has not provided the tools for that side of the ball.  The philosophy needs to change if we want the results to change. 

New blood is needed at the top.  Its time to move on from TD.

The entire premise of my thread topic is about "no defense" because the QBs are worthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

This was not about Shula, but in hindsight, the Dolphins pretty much did the same thing the Falcons are doing to Ice. No defense for over a decade.  The premise is two HOF QBs that should have won a SB, not about the coaches they played under.  The Defense albatross just happened to be their legacy unfortunately. 

I remember it well. No running game either. All Marino, all the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is very similar to the Saints for years. Number 1 or at least Top 5 offenses paired with historically bad defenses. Brees shining like a diamond in the rough, with 7-9 seasons just raining down on us. Every year we've had a good defense to go with the offense, we've made the playoffs.

It's almost criminal how Brees' years were lost with these defenses. To give you an idea, if you treated the offensive stats of our opponents as if they were one team, that team would have SHATTERED ALL previous NFL offensive records. Can you imagine? Our offense was number one overall EXCEPT when compared to the offense we played that day. We would score 40 points but give up 42, we'd score 35 points but give up 38, etc... It was mind-numbingly frustrating to watch. Our defenses would give up long 11-15 play drives, but also quick strike 2-4 play drives, or have an opponent in a 3rd and 15 and then giving up a Hail Mary or a DPI, lather rinse repeat. And our offense had to be PERFECT in order to win. People would actually blame Brees when he couldn't go 42/42 500 yards and 5 TDs in order to save our horrendous defense.

You'd ALMOST rather your entire team suck instead of one aspect being Top 5 and the other ranked 32nd. 

Edited by SaintsFanInLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

This was not about Shula, but in hindsight, the Dolphins pretty much did the same thing the Falcons are doing to Ice. No defense for over a decade.  The premise is two HOF QBs that should have won a SB, not about the coaches they played under.  The Defense albatross just happened to be their legacy unfortunately. 

But the situations are not the same. The results have been the same but the situations are not. Matt Ryan has had terrible head coaches. Dan Marino didn't. Marino had 2 of the best ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the Dolphins won with Shula in the perfect season they had a fair passing attack, a great ground game and the killer B's on defense. Shula never replicated that defense again nor the running game. He fell in love with Marino's yards and never achieved the same success again without that running game nor the great defense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

When the Dolphins won with Shula in the perfect season they had a fair passing attack, a great ground game and the killer B's on defense. Shula never replicated that defense again nor the running game. He fell in love with Marino's yards and never achieved the same success again without that running game nor the great defense. 

It wasn't for a lack of trying or because he simply couldn't. You aren't gonna fire Shula because he's not getting the job done. That is why I'm saying the situations aren't the same. I'd kill to have the 80s/90s Shula.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It wasn't for a lack of trying or because he simply couldn't. You aren't gonna fire Shula because he's not getting the job done. That is why I'm saying the situations aren't the same. I'd kill to have the 80s/90s Shula.

I never said fire Shula, but he did go through no running game and a lessor defense for years. Their are similarities with Matty Ice except Shula was a HOF coach and Quinn will just be a footnote in the NFL history of coaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...