Why are we wasting our HOF QB years like the Dolphins wasted Marino's years?

WhenFalconsWin

14 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

You know what I like about him? His arrogance is well earned. I’m all about a track record of performance.  He deserves total control over a roster and the purse strings. 

Exactly. And the only reason he still isn't in San Francisco is because their front office was a total trainwreck and ran him out of town.

19 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

The Bears take Mahomie instead of Trubisky and this is probably a different conversation. 

Maybe, but nothing Nagy has ever done has screamed offensive genius. Dude was just riding Andy Reid's coattails. It's like all those coaches from the Bill Belichick coaching tree that have failed massively in head coaching jobs.

4 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

You're getting caught up in Pro Bowl accolades:

"I don't care about Pro Bowlers, I care about Super Bowlers" - Bill Belichick

And 2 years ago, the Bears had Khalil Mack, Eddie Jackson, and Akiem Hicks as Pro Bowlers.

How is Vic Fangio's defense doing now in Denver without his Chicago players?  0-2

You ever heard of the no name defense or the grits blitz defense.  Those defenses were short on talent but were well coached.  The no name defense was the #1 defense in the NFL for 2 year running and produced 1 hall of famer.  The grits blitz defense set the record for fewest points scored in a season with no hall of famers.

Just now, peoriabird said:

It was 3 years ago sorry before Mack got there sorry but Belichick's teams are a good example of what I'm talking about.  Belicheck takes a bunch of no name has beens and creates a competitive defense.

Hardly a bunch of no-names.  Gilmore is the best corner in football. Hightower, Chung, Chandler Jones, etc... they have consistently had great players on defense.  But more than that, they have very few weaknesses.  Its not just about the number of Pro Bowlers that determine the total talent on your team.  You are as strong as your weakest link.  We have too many weak links in personnel.

1 minute ago, peoriabird said:

You ever heard of the no name defense or the grits blitz defense.  Those defenses were short on talent but were well coached.  The no name defense was the #1 defense in the NFL for 2 year running and produced 1 hall of famer.  The grits blitz defense set the record for fewest points scored in a season with no hall of famers.

Not short on talent whatsoever.  Maybe short on elite talent, but definitely not short on talent across the board.  That is very different than our defense.  We have 3-4 guys that may have gone to a Pro Bowl at some point, but then MAJOR DEFICIENCIES in other positions.  You are only as strong as your weakest link... especially on D.

Just now, thanat0s said:

College can’t be compared to pro in any way, particularly when it comes to personnel. 

You're right, college has no salary cap, or delusions of parity. Harbough is coaching a blue blood, his alma mater, and cant beat his number 1 rival. And he gets to choose his own players. 

I love Kirby, but if he had Harboughs record against Florida we would lynch his ***.

Just now, FloweryStump said:

Not short on talent whatsoever.  Maybe short on elite talent, but definitely not short on talent across the board.  That is very difference from our defense.  We have 3-4 guys that may have gone to a Pro Bowl at some point, but then MAJOR DEFICIENCIES in other positions.  You are only as strong as your weakest link... especially on D.

4 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Even if you have weak links which every team does including the team the Falcons played today, You should not be historically bad with good coaching.

I think we are agreeing on everything, just emphasizing different aspects.  I am saying the coaching stinks, but if we just swap out the coaching staff and leave Dimitroff, do not expect any significant changes on the field.  Dimitroff is as much (or more) of a problem than Quinn, imo.

Edited by FloweryStump

1 minute ago, FloweryStump said:

Dimitroff is as much (or more) of a problem than Quinn, imo.

I'm not convinced.  If the defense can perform in the 1st half of games then the talent is good enough right?  Something other than personnel changes in the 2nd half of games particularly the latter part of the 4th quarters.  Sound like a change in coaching philosophy to me.

6 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

The Carolina Panthers have absolutely no talent on defense  but yet their defense has out performed the Falcon's defense.  You ever ask yourself why?

They suck on defense too.  Both team's units lack talent.  How are they outperforming ours?  Both 0-2.  Both suck.

Edited by FloweryStump

4 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Yes but they aren't 4th quarter Falcon bad!

LOL... that IS a special kind of bad.  I will give you that.

Look, I am not saying its all talent or all scheme.  I just believe that talent is as or more important of a cause for our defensive woes as scheme is.

Edited by FloweryStump

Just now, FloweryStump said:

LOL... that IS a special kind of bad.  I will give you that.

Look, I am not saying its all talent or all scheme.  I just believe that talent is as or more important for our defensive woes as scheme is.

if the talent is good enough to compete in the 1st 3 quarters of games then why is the same talent not enough to compete in the 4th quarters?  Doesn't make any sense.

if the talent is good enough to compete in the 1st 3 quarters of games then why is the same talent not enough to compete in the 4th quarters?  Doesn't make any sense.

The only conclusion one can make when this consistently happens is that the defense is asked to do some different in the 4th than what they were being asked to do in the 1st 3 quarter

16 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

You're right, college has no salary cap, or delusions of parity. Harbough is coaching a blue blood, his alma mater, and cant beat his number 1 rival. And he gets to choose his own players. 

I love Kirby, but if he had Harboughs record against Florida we would lynch his ***.

If I’m right, then there’s no point in talking about college level particulars, when it’s only Harbaugh’s NFL performance that is relevant. 

It’s like saying Spurrier is a terrible coach because he didn’t win in the NFL. 

That's one game.  Seattle already had 28 points put up against us in the first 3 quarters last week.  When we played them last year, we were losing 24-0 at halftime.  

11 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

That's one game.  Seattle already had 28 points put up against us in the first 3 quarters last week.  When we played them last year, we were losing 24-0 at halftime.  

Seattle is a good offense and scored 35 on the Patriots tonight but the defense was competitive in the 1st half until Quinn started going for it on 4th downs and doing fake punts

Edited by peoriabird

23 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

The Carolina Panthers have absolutely no talent on defense  but yet their defense has out performed the Falcon's defense.  You ever ask yourself why?

The Panthers have given up 34 and 31 points in their 2 games. Don't come in here acting like they're playing good defensively.

6 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Seattle is a good offense and scored 35 on the Patriots tonight but the defense was competitive in the 1st half until Quinn started going for it on 4th down and doing fake punts

Patriots will be a perfect case study of talent versus scheme this year.  I bet you they will be much worse than last year, despite having perhaps the most talented secondary in the League.  Why?  They had Hightower opt out, who was their most talented front 7 player.  It left a major weak spot on their defense.

So using your argument, Belichick must have had a bad scheme against Seattle tonight?  He got outcoached?  We only gave up 4 more points than the Pats, who apparently have the best scheme ever... right?

Edited by FloweryStump