Why are we wasting our HOF QB years like the Dolphins wasted Marino's years?

WhenFalconsWin

2 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Well, Quinn called the plays.  But Carroll undoubtedly had influence.  I hear what you are saying, but if you look at the 13 year track record of TD here and the defenses he had put on the field, there is a clear trend.

Defense is mostly coaching.  When players are running into each other on the field like Dan Quinn defenses do from time to time, they are being out schemed.  Also when teams make half time adjustments and Quinn goes soft zone, that's not talent.  It a scheme choice.

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Are people too young to remember this?

You can't possibly suggest that the Dolphins should have fired Don Shula (most wins in NFL history) or not hired Jimmy Johnson (built the Cowboys teams that won 3 Super Bowls). I have no idea where you're going with the Dolphins and Marino thing. He had 2 of the greatest coaches ever.

Just now, theDIRTYcode said:

You're not wrong. That's Andy Reids offense without a doubt.

But I've seen a student take the teachers defense and do it at just as good too.

True, but just as I wanted before Quinn, I still want a highly experienced NFL head coach running this team. I’m over rolling the dice with unknowns with a veteran team, especially one that is committed to this path contractually for at least 2 years.

I’d put Rex in charge before I went with another nobody. At least I know he’d build a defense worth putting on the field. 

6 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Defense is mostly coaching.  When players are running into each other on the field like Dan Quinn defenses do from time to time, they are being out schemed.  Also when teams make half time adjustments and Quinn goes soft zone, that's not talent.  It a scheme choice.

Defense is mostly coaching?  So what you are saying is Quinn was a genius in Seattle to have the #1 defense in the League when he was there, but has somehow suffered a traumatic brain injury and has forgotten everything he did there?  Or are you saying that in 13 years of TD's reign here, we have only had good coaching on defense one season when we were ranked #9?

I'm pretty sure defense is a combination of talent and scheme, but talent will trump scheme every time.  Scheme is over-rated... everyone in the League runs similar stuff.

Edited by FloweryStump

11 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

This is why I’m highly skeptical about Bieniemy.  That’s all Andy, imo.

Exactly!! Look at the Bears coach. He was supposed to be the next big time head coach in Chicago because he was an "offensive guru" but in his years with the Bears they haven't come close to having a good offense. Not sold on Bieniemy one bit. I want a proven NFL coach and that proven NFL coach is Jim Harbaugh.

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

True, but just as I wanted before Quinn, I still want a highly experienced NFL head coach running this team. I’m over rolling the dice with unknowns with a veteran team, especially one that is committed to this path contractually for at least 2 years.

I’d put Rex in charge before I went with another nobody. At least I know he’d build a defense worth putting on the field. 

I'm over hiring defensive coordinators at this point. Jim Mora, Mike Smith, Dan Quinn, and still no defense. 

Give me an offensive mind, that can utilize all of our weapons, and hire someone to run the defense. I need my HC to be invested in one side of the ball, and these days that's on offense. Its already where we spend all of our money.

Just give me a DC that can hold teams to 24 a game.

1 minute ago, FloweryStump said:

Defense is mostly coaching?  So what you are saying is Quinn was a genius in Seattle to have the #1 defense in the League when he was there, but has somehow suffered a traumatic brain injury and has forgotten everything he did there? 

Again, You are assuming that Quinn was making all of the decisions and not following someone else's scheme like Carroll and other members of the coaching staff.  I wouldn't do that because even as Seattle lost players, their defense remain competitive.  Quinn's defenses have not.

3 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Exactly!! Look at the Bears coach. He was supposed to be the next big time head coach in Chicago because he was an "offensive guru" but in his years with the Bears they haven't come close to having a good offense. Not sold on Bieniemy one bit. I want a proven NFL coach and that proven NFL coach is Jim Harbaugh.

The Bears take Mahomie instead of Trubisky and this is probably a different conversation. 

23 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

In 13 years under Dimitroff's leadership, our defense has ranked in the Top 10 only ONCE (#9 in 2017).  Additionally, we have only been in the top HALF of the League 3 times in the last 13 seasons.  That is with two defensive-minded head coaches who got the job here by displaying that they KNOW how to coach defense and put together Top 5 (#1 for Quinn) units on their previous stops. 

The problem is PERSONNEL.  Its not scheme.  Do you think DQ just forgot everything he knew when he coached the #1 ranked defense in the League in Seattle?

It’s not about the defense it never has been.

Its about a HC who cannot pull all 3 phases together consistently.

Who cares if your a top tier defense if your offense and STs suck.

Inconsistency is DQs calling card and ultimately this is exactly what we re seeing on the field.

Defense got 5 TOers today we still lose.

Offense stacked as it’s scored 39 this week and barely scored 20 last week.

ST mistakes last week cost us 8 points and this week can’t regather an onside kick.

You have a long look at Falcon losses and it’s I bet a lot of this inconsistency rare’s it’s head.

1 hour ago, FloweryStump said:

I just posted this on another thread but it might be more pertinent on this one:

Koetter is NOT the problem.  We have one of the most explosive offenses in the League!  39 points and no turnovers today?  C'mon dude...

The problem is DEFENSE!  And I am not a fan of Quinn or the DC... but the problem is MUCH DEEPER than that.  Dimitroff is the problem.

In 13 years under Dimitroff's leadership, our defense has ranked in the Top 10 only ONCE (#9 in 2017).  Additionally, we have only been in the top HALF of the League 3 times in the last 13 seasons.  That is with two defensive-minded head coaches who got the job here by displaying that they KNOW how to coach defense and put together Top 5 (#1 for Quinn) units on their previous stops.  The problem is PERSONNEL.  Dimitroff has not provided the tools for that side of the ball.  The philosophy needs to change if we want the results to change. 

New blood is needed at the top.  Its time to move on from TD.

Ha.  I just posted something similar to this in the thread with the poll.  Not as concise and I didn't mention TD, but yeah, I agree with this completely. 

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

You know what I like about him? His arrogance is well earned. I’m all about a track record of performance.  He deserves total control over a roster and the purse strings. 

Just now, peoriabird said:

Again, You are assuming that Quinn was making all of the decisions and not following someone else's scheme like Carroll and other members of the coaching staff.  I wouldn't do that because even as Seattle lost players, their defense remain competitive.  Quinn's defenses have not.

Its players man.  Its the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and O's. 

Seattle has a great GM / HC combo that has reloaded their roster in a balanced manner to keep them competitive on both sides of the ball.  Dimitroff chases expensive, flashy pieces at the expense of depth throughout the roster and we too many weak spots (particularly on defense) that other teams consistently take advantage of.  

3 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Its players man.  Its the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and O's. 

Seattle has a great GM / HC combo that has reloaded their roster in a balanced manner to keep them competitive on both sides of the ball.  Dimitroff chases expensive, flashy pieces at the expense of depth throughout the roster and we too many weak spots (particularly on defense) that other teams consistently take advantage of.  

2 years ago, the Bears had no pro bowl players on their defense under Vic Fangio but yet were a top 10 defense.  Coaching/preparation matters

Edited by peoriabird

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s not about the defense it never has been.

Its about a HC who cannot pull all 3 phases together consistently.

Who cares if your a top tier defense if your offense and STs suck.

Inconsistency is DQs calling card and ultimately this is exactly what we re seeing on the field.

Defense got 5 TOers today we still lose.

Offense stacked as it’s scored 39 this week and barely scored 20 last week.

ST mistakes last week cost us 8 points and this week can’t regather an onside kick.

You have a long look at Falcon losses and it’s I bet a lot of this inconsistency rare’s it’s head.

Clearly its not about defense for this team.  THAT is the problem.

Who cares if you're a top tier offense if your defense and STs suck.

Inconsistency IS a problem.  I am not a DQ apologist.  But talent of D is an issue.

The D wasn't responsible for 5 turnovers.  Dallas gift-wrapped us 5 turnovers.  Their mistakes, not our talents.

6 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

2 years ago, the Bears had no pro bowl players on their defense under Vic Fangio but yet were a top 10 defense.  Coaching/preparation matters

You're getting caught up in Pro Bowl accolades:

"I don't care about Pro Bowlers, I care about Super Bowlers" - Bill Belichick

And 2 years ago, the Bears had Khalil Mack, Danny Trevathan, Eddie Jackson, and Akiem Hicks as Pro Bowlers.

How is Vic Fangio's defense doing now in Denver without his Chicago players?  0-2

Edited by FloweryStump

5 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Clearly its not about defense for this team.  THAT is the problem.

Who cares if you're a top tier offense if your defense and STs suck.

Inconsistency IS a problem.  I am not a DQ apologist.  But talent of D is an issue.

The D wasn't responsible for 5 turnovers.  Dallas gift-wrapped us 5 turnovers.  Their mistakes, not our talents.

Exactly so the teams the issue not one part of it.

The decisions and coaching we got the wrong people time to move on don’t you think.

2 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

You're getting caught up in Pro Bowl accolades.  The number of Pro Bowls on your defense does not represent the total amount of talent on that side of the ball.

And 2 years ago, the Bears had Khalil Mack, Danny Trevathan, Eddie Jackson, and Akiem Hicks as Pro Bowlers.

How is Vic Fangio's defense doing now in Denver without his Chicago players?  0-2

Just now, FloweryStump said:

And 2 years ago, the Bears had Khalil Mack, Eddie Jackson, and Akiem Hicks as Pro Bowlers.

It was 3 years ago sorry before Mack got there sorry but Belichick's teams are a good example of what I'm talking about.  Belicheck takes a bunch of no name has beens and creates a competitive defense.

4 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Hold on! They'll be 1-2 by next week. Don't you worry.

Edited by GeniusWizard111