Just now, the baptist said:

I concur on those games you mentioned but you must be taking your proclivities into the games where he indeed looks like the next coming...

I watched Matt Ryan in college when the mock drafts were showing he was headed for Atlanta.....Nowhere near the talent level Trevor Lawrence OR Justin Fields have displayed thus far, I mean nowhere near, Leadership maybe, but pure talent?

Does talent always equate to Superbowls? Course not, but neither has the current formula for the Falcons, which includes Matt Ryan

Again Matt Ryan is not the issue, his age is, and the window to WIN is

I feel like the bolded statement is the best reason we could think to move on from Ryan, but I still am very skeptical to move on from an MVP playing at a high level for a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL. 

It's honestly not even just those games though. Last year early in the season he struggled against teams like Syracuse and Georgia Tech, both teams were NOT good at all. I think he could be a good QB, but I'm really not taking a chance from him with our first pick when we have Ryan. 

Talent is always an interesting thing, but it doesn't always equate to wins. Lots of guys are more talented than Ryan, but that doesn't mean much. Tom Brady was never the most talented QB in the league, but he managed to find ways to win (albiet with the help of the NFL HC GOAT and many lucky breaks...). If we are moving on from Ryan with our current roster, I hope it's for a proven commodity, not an unproven one. We have the talent in place, so replacing the most important position on the team with someone like Lawrence (or Fields) isn't what I want to do. 

Matt will be 36 entering next season, so I wouldn't mind taking a QB in the 3rd/4th, but I don't think it's time to take one in the first 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't think we need to tank. If we keep playing like we have, Trevor or the number 1 pick will be ours anyway.

Yeah, I don't care what you think of me and I love Matt, I'm just a realist. We would be set for another decade plus at the QB position. Also it's time for Quinn to go, how can you be a defensive mind

No thanks. Lawrence is overrated 

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Doing it in the ACC is one thing though. Doing in the NFL is whole different animal. I don't think you are giving Ryan enough credit though. That throw he made to Julio in the Super Bowl was about as good as it gets. Julio gets a lot of credit for it, and rightfully so, but that was also an incredible throw. That's just one example. He's made some very good throws at the NFL level. And I'm sorry, but doing it in the pros will always trump doing it in college. 

Where are these throws though? I saw 2 against the Citadel that were very good, but... look at the competition. To compare a guy that has never played a snap in the NFL to an NFL MVP is insane if you ask me. I've been wrong before, but I still don't understand why part of our fanbase hates Ryan. We don't deserve him 

We deserve better than Ryan fym. He’s been the face of embarrassment for this city for too long bro. This Ryan to Jones era is dead in the water.
Ryan deserves to win a ring but it will never happen for this franchise. Let this man free from this terrible defense we continue to field year after year to no avail. I’m honestly  done with the whole cast of this show. It is terrible.

1 minute ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

We deserve better than Ryan fym. He’s been the face of embarrassment for this city for too long bro. This Ryan to Jones era is dead in the water.
Ryan deserves to win a ring but it will never happen for this franchise. Let this man free from this terrible defense we continue to field year after year to no avail. I’m honestly  done with the whole cast of this show. It is terrible.

I agree Ryan deserve better, but I don't necessarily think we do. We have a **** good QB right now. There is no guarantee the next guy is going to be anywhere near as good

16 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I feel like the bolded statement is the best reason we could think to move on from Ryan, but I still am very skeptical to move on from an MVP playing at a high level for a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL. 

It's honestly not even just those games though. Last year early in the season he struggled against teams like Syracuse and Georgia Tech, both teams were NOT good at all. I think he could be a good QB, but I'm really not taking a chance from him with our first pick when we have Ryan. 

Talent is always an interesting thing, but it doesn't always equate to wins. Lots of guys are more talented than Ryan, but that doesn't mean much. Tom Brady was never the most talented QB in the league, but he managed to find ways to win (albiet with the help of the NFL HC GOAT and many lucky breaks...). If we are moving on from Ryan with our current roster, I hope it's for a proven commodity, not an unproven one. We have the talent in place, so replacing the most important position on the team with someone like Lawrence (or Fields) isn't what I want to do. 

Matt will be 36 entering next season, so I wouldn't mind taking a QB in the 3rd/4th, but I don't think it's time to take one in the first 

So, not to put opinions in your replies, I conclude you are proposing a   "[Re]tool" not a "[Re]Build"

The evidence is overwhelming, From the front office down to the field, this formula is not working, if the goal is/was the Superbowl...if...

Would you trust this Front Office to find real talent, or a potential franchise QB in the 3 or 4th round? And even if you give that guy 2 or  3 years to grow, what makes that a guarantee? 

If one part of formula has to change, entire formula changes, New GM=New Coach=New OC=New Offense=New Wrinkles=New Time Matt Ryan doesn't have, give that clean slate to an uber talented young QB and put some hope in the building.....

If we are at #1 overall then the obvious choice is Trevor Lawrence. There will be many posters on here that say he’s “overrated” (he isn’t) due to some sense of loyalty they have for Ryan. These are same type of people who said we are “fine at safety” when we weren’t. 

I love Ryan too, but you don’t pass on a potential 10+ year Franchise QB because you have a current franchise QB you want to keep for another 2 years. You think of the team first. This is a QB driven league being “fine” at QB, means you need to think about upgrading. You need to be “good” at QB; “fine” won’t cut it. 

Then I’m sure there will be the “Trade away for more draft picks” people. If we were mid round and we’re reaching; yeah, you trade back. You don’t do it if you’re #1 overall and have a franchise successor there. Very few teams get this opportunity. 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, Shnikies said:

Yeah, I don't care what you think of me and I love Matt, I'm just a realist. We would be set for another decade plus at the QB position. Also it's time for Quinn to go, how can you be a defensive minded head coach and have a dumpster fire defense every year. 

Have at it.

We don’t need a QB. Not even close. If the Falcons do end up with the #1 pick they should trade it away and build a competent defense. Some QB needy team will pay a kings ransom for that pick. But the Falcons would probably screw that up too 

On 9/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, Jesus said:

Lol

Fan logic:

Defense blows huge lead, hire an offensive coach and get new quarterback...

I think you are misrepresenting what those fans mean. They want a new qb and new OC because as good as the offense is, by the time the defense gets turned around, Ryan and Julio will be at the end of their careers, and you will have to go offense all over again.

Being a super bowl team means you have to be generally good all around. Having new players in the future on defense finally helping while your stars age out, is just a repeat of the constant mediocrity. It's better to start from scratch and build the team as a whole, vs teeter totering back and forth and never getting anywhere.

Superstars cannot fill gaping holes for other parts of the team. Age is a huge issue in the NFL.

34 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I think you are misrepresenting what those fans mean. They want a new qb and new OC because as good as the offense is, by the time the defense gets turned around, Ryan and Julio will be at the end of their careers, and you will have to go offense all over again.

Being a super bowl team means you have to be generally good all around. Having new players in the future on defense finally helping while your stars age out, is just a repeat of the constant mediocrity. It's better to start from scratch and build the team as a whole, vs teeter totering back and forth and never getting anywhere.

Superstars cannot fill gaping holes for other parts of the team. Age is a huge issue in the NFL.

I don't know where you have been.....but I concur.

I am not sure about anyone else here,  I was not speaking to the other issues that plague the team

Ryan is not good enough to carry a team over the hump, that's been proven, let alone carry a team as mediocre as the Falcons are currently constructed.

No one should trust this  front office or coaching staff to put together a team good enough to win a superbowl in 3 seasons, which at that point Ryan would be 40.

40.........If they don't make a move here in the next 2 seasons towards a rebuild, the search for a Superbowl Win will continue for another decade.