Let me say first that Matt is the absolute greatest player in team history, and it’s not even close.  He’s my favorite player as well, which is saying a ton since I go back to 1975 with this team.

I would love for Matt to get another shot at a ring. He deserves it after all the beatings that tough sob has endured due to this incompetent organization. 

The problem is this: His contract doesn’t allow us to just cut or trade him and walk away clean. Try 2022 on that.

That being the case, even if we had a top five pick to use on him, Fields, etc., do we basically grab a bench warmer rather than a guy who can impact the game immediately? I doubt it. 

The only caveat here is, could Matt retire after this year? I’m expecting it sooner than later, honestly. With the kids here now, millions in the bank, a broadcasting job waiting for him post-career, and HOF credentials already, he doesn’t need football anymore. 

I get the planning for the future thing, but there are great prospects most years at QB. We have no reason to say Lawrence, or anyone else, will be more of a transcendent talent than a guy in 2022 or beyond. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't think we need to tank. If we keep playing like we have, Trevor or the number 1 pick will be ours anyway.

Yeah, I don't care what you think of me and I love Matt, I'm just a realist. We would be set for another decade plus at the QB position. Also it's time for Quinn to go, how can you be a defensive mind

No thanks. Lawrence is overrated 

Matt isn’t going anywhere unless he retires. He’s the best QB we’ve ever had, and we’re lucky to be one of the few teams in the NFL that has had a consistently great QB. Some franchises have a turnstile at the QB position. Once he is gone you guys will see. He won’t be as easy to replace as some of you might think. 

I’m fine with grooming someone behind him, but there’s no way in **** I am getting rid of a HOF QB for an unknown. 

Politics and football! Everyone has an opinion, most don't know what the heck they're talking about! Matt Ryan is not the problem. 39 points will win almost every game on Sundays. We would have had a Super Bowl championship if not for the same dang reason! DEFENSE! We can't stop anybody! As much as I hate today it, I think we know who Dan Quinn is. He's had his shot, time to move on.

I don't really care about QB right now.  We drafted a franchise QB in 2008 and have failed to consistently give him even a respectable defense.   Until someone in flowery branch has a solution to that problem, I don't think it really matters who our QB is.  We just scored 39 bleeping points and lost. 

Agreed that we need a long term plan.  Just not sure why anyone has hope that if we draft one of the hot names at QB, that anything would be different overall.

Im good with Bieniemy or Riley with Lawrence/Fields. I love me some Matt Ryan and he is far from the problem but a new HC is not going to want an aged QB with a bloated contract. I think Ryan may get one season with a new HC but thats about it. 

It sucks that this franchise failed 2 HOF players....

41 minutes ago, tone357 said:

Politics and football! Everyone has an opinion, most don't know what the heck they're talking about! Matt Ryan is not the problem. 39 points will win almost every game on Sundays. We would have had a Super Bowl championship if not for the same dang reason! DEFENSE! We can't stop anybody! As much as I hate today it, I think we know who Dan Quinn is. He's had his shot, time to move on.

Not to mention, Dirk is not the problem, either.

The problem is as it has been for eons, it seems. We can’t field a viable defense that can get pressure, make adjustments and get off the field on third down. Even worse, our HC, front office and ownership seem intent on sabotaging any attempt to build one (see 2012 and 2017 most recently).

They like flashy offense to presumably sell tickets and merchandise. Winning is an afterthought. 

14 hours ago, blutarski said:

NFL players and coaches do not "tank"...can we stop with this rhetoric.  Too many players striving to be on a team next year, and bad individual tape isn't going to bring another contract.  We have a finite number of players on our roster, we can't sit the starters and put in the "rookies".....  Especially when we are committed to Matt Ryan for at least another 2 years passed 2020.  OH, BTW, he is still playing at an extremely high level.

NFL players do not get mesmerized by a ball and watch the opposition simply take it.  

I don't want to talk about tanking, but give me a break, this team is a pile of Quinn.  

57 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

If NE only thought the same about Bill after his first stint in CLE...that said history has me weary of coaches from the NE tree. As of today, he would still be top of my list though likely.

Bill first stint in Cleveland <> McDaniels in Denver

The only reason BB was fired is because Modell moved the team to Balt...

30 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

Indeed!

He could end up being very good, but people are talking about him like he is going to be the next Peyton Manning. I honestly would have rather had Burrow than him. I would take Tua over him too if the injury thing wasn't as concerning. Both Tua and Burrow consistently made throws in college that just made my jaw drop. I haven't seen that consistently from Lawrence yet.