Falcons' secondary looks to avoid same mistakes vs. Cowboys

birdz4i

GEORGE HENRY (AP Sports Writer)
Sep 18, 2020, 1:49 PM

Falcons' secondary looks to avoid same mistakes vs. Cowboys

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Isaiah Oliver (26) tackles Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf (14) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)
More

ATLANTA (AP) -- Falcons defensive coordinator Raheem Morris blames himself for last week's loss to Seattle.

Morris vows he won't make the same mistake this week against quarterback Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys.

Morris said his game plan called for a prerequisite on stopping the run and didn't credit Russell Wilson, one of the NFL's top QBs, enough in the passing game. Wilson completed 31 of 35 passes for 322 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions and a stellar 143.1 passer rating.

''We stayed one-dimensional,'' Morris said. ''We didn't give them a good enough look, a good enough presentation, and a lot of that I put it on myself. I gave these guys a little too much credit in the run game and not enough credit in the pass game, and they absolutely beat us.''

Morris wants to make sure he lets his secondary disguise coverages better when the Falcons (0-1) visit Dallas (0-1). Prescott, like Wilson, is adept at keeping plays alive with his feet, throwing on the run and not getting rattled when moved off his spot.

''We were able to physically affect the quarterback, hitting him (10) times, getting (three) sacks,'' Morris said. ''What I did not do, solely on me, is I didn't give the guys the ability to affect the quarterback mentally. Some of our disguises wasn't what it needs to be in order to win a game like that. I didn't give those guys enough credit to beat us in the pass game, and he absolutely did.''

Cornerback Isaiah Oliver learned a big lesson, too. The third-year veteran was beaten for a 38-yard touchdown pass that defined the loss. Oliver was in man coverage against D.K. Metcalf when Wilson dropped back to pass on fourth-and-five. He blames faulty footwork as the reason Metcalf scored so easily on a go route.

''It was definitely a technique issue,'' Oliver said. ''I kind of drop-stepped with my left foot, which is going to kind of put me behind the receiver immediately. The hands part of it was fine. I wasn't really worried about that, but it's just with the feet I have to move more at a 45 (degree angle) instead of drop-stepping and opening up like that.

''When you do that with a good receiver, you're always going to be a couple of yards behind on any route that he runs. That's kind of what happened there.''

Oliver knows the Falcons' secondary faces a stout challenge against a Dallas receiving corps comprised of Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and CeeDee Lamb.

''It's definitely going to be a tough matchup, but I feel like we can get ready for that,'' Oliver said. ''... We've kind of got the scheme we want to run against them and the idea that we have. So we feel good.''

Morris liked what he saw in A.J. Terrell's NFL debut. Terrell, a first-round draft pick from Clemson, played all of the defense's 62 snaps.

''I thought the guy played pretty well,'' Morris said. ''You're talking about a rookie who's out there playing hard, playing fast, playing physical. He went throughout the day and played some sticky coverage on some really good wideouts. He stood up in some really big moments. He gave up a big play on a four-minute drive where he was taking a shot at jumping a ball. I can't blame him. In that moment, if he makes that play it's a big-time play for us.''

Terrell is taking to heart Morris' mantra that it's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't keep repeating them.

''That's also what they've been preaching to us as a defense and as a unit, as a whole team,'' Terrell said. ''Just not making the same mistake twice and just getting the things corrected and just going out there next time, being alert for it and making a play when it comes.''

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-secondary-looks-avoid-same-mistakes-vs-cowboys-174923693--nfl.html

Honestly idk what to believe or should I say who to believe. Just listen to all the experts here/coaches/media and decide if it was the DBs, Morris, Whitt, DQ or Arthur Blank fault. Stayed tuned by gawd all these experts will enlighten you. Btw ...I say let’s wait a week or five before coming to a foregone conclusion. But Houston we do have a problem 

8 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

The hands were not right either. You don’t 2 hand jam a receiver. Whitt said he had that corrected from the end of last season. My question is how did he regress in the first game of the year? So much for momentum carrying over I guess.

Exactly! Even if he takes a 45 degree angle, he leaves himself vulnerable by trying to jam with two hands.

It seems like every quote I read, from the Falcons, confirms my opinion of Quinn.

Quinn is a terrible Head Coach....terrible.  His teams are not prepared to compete.  There is plenty of talent on the team right now, to march to the super bowl.  And yet, the quality of play is down right abysmal.  

Morris' comment that he wanted to concentrate on Seattle's running game might have been more appropriate a few years ago when Lynch was their top dog.  But even then, why would you omit coverage disguises from your preparation for a game?

I have said it many times and I will repeat it again.  Dan Quinn does not have the intellectual horse power to be a modern day Head Coach.  He should have been fired this past off-season.  

22 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

The hands were not right either. You don’t 2 hand jam a receiver. Whitt said he had that corrected from the end of last season. My question is how did he regress in the first game of the year? So much for momentum carrying over I guess.

His feet were the issue. DK busted his hands off of him because he’s a freak. Short clip where you see a two hand jam with proper footwork  

6 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

His feet were the issue. DK busted his hands off of him because he’s a freak. Short clip where you see a two hand jam with proper footwork  

This.

You absolutely can have a 2 hand jam  if your base is solid and you have the right footwork.

Footwork is the most important aspect of technique at just about every position in football.

17 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

This.

You absolutely can have a 2 hand jam  if your base is solid and you have the right footwork.

Footwork is the most important aspect of technique at just about every position in football.

The problem? 

Even if Oliver lands a solid two hand jam, by nature of his positioning at the LOS in press, he's going to always be in a trail position after the jam. So even if his technique was perfect, he was beat because he can't cover a vert from press with no safety help. He has to force the ball to be thrown over his and the WRs head, which it was. But with no safety over top, Oliver will never make that play. This isn't a talent issue, it's a positioning/physics issue. 

Look at Ramsey vs Gallup at the end of the Rams-Cowboys game. Ramsey is vastly a better CB than Oliver, but he was beat on a vert route because he was in press at the line and in trail. No corner can win that route from that placement. But the Falcons coaches are basically asking them to do that instead of putting their safeties in position to help. 

32 minutes ago, vel said:

The problem? 

Even if Oliver lands a solid two hand jam, by nature of his positioning at the LOS in press, he's going to always be in a trail position after the jam. So even if his technique was perfect, he was beat because he can't cover a vert from press with no safety help. He has to force the ball to be thrown over his and the WRs head, which it was. But with no safety over top, Oliver will never make that play. This isn't a talent issue, it's a positioning/physics issue. 

Look at Ramsey vs Gallup at the end of the Rams-Cowboys game. Ramsey is vastly a better CB than Oliver, but he was beat on a vert route because he was in press at the line and in trail. No corner can win that route from that placement. But the Falcons coaches are basically asking them to do that instead of putting their safeties in position to help. 

Being in a trail position is fine if you have your feet under you some corners actually like being in that trail spot because there is a chance at a pick on an under throw....the problem was because of poor foot work he stumbled after the jam....that is what gave Metcalf so much separation, with out that stumble Oliver would have been atleast in contention to get his arms up and cause a disruption on the ball.

Do agree though that should have had safety help over the top.

Hopefully they do learn from everything and do not see the same issues over and over.

If our secondary bumps into each other like a bunch of chubby and hungry kids at an Easter egg hunt for a second week, I might have to spend the next week developing a drinking problem. After guzzling all of the "secondary looks like it's going to be much improved" kool-aid, I'm thinking vodka might have to be my go-to drink of choice for the next 16 weeks.