Did you see any Kyle Shanahan tendencies in Dirk's play calling week 1?

Falcons Fan MVP

The Shanahan diatribe is played out. But I'll say this... I didn't see a decent rhythm to the offense until Matt was running no-huddle or calling audibles, but mostly in no-huddle, hurry-up in garbage time. Offensive possessions seemed out of sync, which surprised me being there are so many returning starters on the unit. 

Dirk doesn't have the timing of play calls down.  Dirk is better when it comes to drop back or shotgun passing game.  We need a run game coordinator like other teams have.  Kyle did a good job of keeping the defense guessing.  Dirk is to predictable in critical situations. 3rd short yardage, we line up in run formation.  Why not come up 3 wides to spread the defense then run if you have the box count.  We are not good enough at the run scheme to run in tight box situation right now.  Kyle would come out in a tight formation and find a way to use that as advantage in the passing game.  But the scheme was executed well enough to run against 8 or 9 in the box.  Or we could run a draw on 3rd and 6 when showing pass. Defense had to be concern for both the pass and run constantly. 

Edited by bighurt

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There were reports that Dirk Koetter was caught up on Kyle Shanahans offense this off-season. Did you see any Kyle Shanahan tendencies in Dirk's play calling vs Seattle? The game wasn't on in my area I only saw highlights. 

😃

39 minutes ago, Jesus said:

There was PA and outside zone run. Once the game was out of hand it was abandoned.

Agreed. We saw some of it early on, especially in the 1st quarter, but it all disappeared after that.

No idea why we abandoned the outside zone run game, which was working, and started running Gurley and Hill straight up the middle instead. We should know by now that our offensive line just can't get that push up the middle on short yardage downs. At the very least we should've had Matt Ryan QB sneak on that play where we only needed 1 yard for the first.

1 minute ago, blizzard_falcon said:

Agreed. We saw some of it early on, especially in the 1st quarter, but it all disappeared after that.

No idea why we abandoned the outside zone run game, which was working, and started running Gurley and Hill straight up the middle instead. We should know by now that our offensive line just can't get that push up the middle on short yardage downs. At the very least we should've had Matt Ryan QB sneak on that play where we only needed 1 yard for the first.

Someone had said they were covering the outside zone better, but I don't know. There are more than three plays in the playbook. Koetter has to get better at calling plays.

8 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The play does not matter if you fumble or over throw an open receiver....or have the wrong protection

Well yeah...obviously. Guys need to execute better. But we hear that a lot. Maybe both the coaches and players need to execute better.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Well yeah...obviously. Guys need to execute better. But we hear that a lot. Maybe both the coaches and players need to execute better.

We hear that alot because it is true.

On 3 of the 4 failed 4th downs ...the falcons were in position to make those plays

If the protection is slid to the right ( which is on the QB and /or center)  then Gurley might still be running

If Ryan makes a good throw Ridley not only makes the catch but has room to turn up field.

The other was the fake punt....which we had the first if we not fumbled.

The coaches job is to put the players into position to make plays and by in large part the offensive staff did that on Sunday.