A TDWII Observation: Kyle Shanahan Isn't Walking Through That Door...but the Falcons Keep Waiting

42 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Well, we also fell behind because the offense failed to convert on 4th down four times, and on third and short at least twice (both times with rather predictable, typical DK run it up the gut playcalling).

I agree, but to be fair there were some missed blockIng assignments on at lest two of those, and a fumble on a 3rd one.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like it or not, the shadow of SB LI hangs over the Falcons.  Super Bowl losers are rarely immortalized…usually they simply become a footnote to the story of that particular NFL season.  But for the Fa

It’s a good point by OP.    Hiring of Koetter I’ll never understand, but hiring him to run an offense he’s not well-versed in...Shanny’s WCO... is bat **** crazy.

Beating a dead horse, but the offense (passing wise) was efficient in 2018 in a couple of different metrics. Sark was scapegoated, plain and simple. The offense struggling for the 5 game losing streak

12 hours ago, Vandy said:

It’s a good point by OP. 

Hiring of Koetter I’ll never understand, but hiring him to run an offense he’s not well-versed in...Shanny’s WCO... is bat **** crazy.

This is what has me worried most about this season. I have little to no faith that Koetter could ever run Shanny's system. Anyways, it's not as simple as "just run Shanny's system", you still have to be an aggressive and dynamic coach.

42 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I'm tired of hearing about Kyle Shanahan. For a guy who aided in the biggest choke in NFL history he sure gets a lot of praise here. Can we just let him go and move on please? 

No we will never move on with all the Shanny lap lickers on this board. He is not a god. More of an arrogant choker. Choked two of the last four Lombardies away. Didn't like him before he came here and still don't. Didn't like his daddy either. These wide zone freaks love him though.

57 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

No we will never move on with all the Shanny lap lickers on this board. He is not a god. More of an arrogant choker. Choked two of the last four Lombardies away. Didn't like him before he came here and still don't. Didn't like his daddy either. These wide zone freaks love him though.

As opposed to the 2 jokers who will never get us there.

Sark the grocery bagger and Koetter the living legend he is 14-15 years having an NFL OC as a title which is thee only one he’ll ever have.

1 hour ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I'm tired of hearing about Kyle Shanahan. For a guy who aided in the biggest choke in NFL history he sure gets a lot of praise here. Can we just let him go and move on please? 

The reason being because he showed what we could be.While the 2 class clowns we had after him were exactly that class clowns.

40 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The reason being because he showed what we could be.While the 2 class clowns we had after him were exactly that class clowns.

Sark had issues, but he had a lot of receivers dropping passes his last season. He got scapegoated.

Why are we asking OC to run schemes that aren't theirs?

KS did show us our potential, he also showed what stubbornness and poor situational playcalling leads to.

The clown is whomever is trying to fit square pegs in round holes at the oc job.

For 2 years, we had a truly great coach on our staff... Kyle shanahan.

So we had a taste of what that is like.

But now we’re back to stumbling around in the dark. DQ ain’t great. Dirk koetter sure as he11 ain’t.

Blank needs to do 2 things:

1. Find a great coach

2. give him full control

#1 is hard. #2 should be easy but blank and the FO don’t seem capable of it.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I love a historic, record breaking offense that ate through the playoffs like a buzzsaw.

1 hour ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Sark had issues, but he had a lot of receivers dropping passes his last season. He got scapegoated.

Why are we asking OC to run schemes that aren't theirs?

KS did show us our potential, he also showed what stubbornness and poor situational playcalling leads to.

The clown is whomever is trying to fit square pegs in round holes at the oc job.

Sark and Koetter are 2 confusing hires I don’t know why we bothered.If we wanted to run the mentioned scheme why didn’t we just stick with thee assistants or bring in the best WCO OC available.

In stead we go with an absolute rook and a vert guy.

It is the confusion that is the Falcons.

If it were a choice there would be no choice we’d have KS back in a heartbeat instead of this cluster we have at OC since.

17 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

When we see the Shannys, Reids & Paytons of the NFL consistently out coaching other teams you become envious.  But when you see consistent underachievement in crucial situations, it wreaks of predictability.  Blank needs to hold this staff accountable.  We're wasting incredible talent with mediocre coaching. 

Well said, Hash.  I would go a step further and say that it wreaks of incompetence.  

We have wasted incredible talent.  On the defensive side:  Deion Jarrett and on the offensive side:  Ryan, Jones, Ridley, and Mack.  Fortunately, the defensive leaders are still somewhat young.  I am afraid that our offensive guys on on the back nine.   

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Quinn lost the SB, not Shanny.  It was Quinn's job to direct his coordinators.  

I think all the Shanny love comes from finally seeing an OC formulate a plan of attack that always kept a step ahead of the defense.  We have never seen that before in Atlanta.  

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Isn’t it tough to move on from Shanahan when you’re still running his playbook?  That’s kind of the point of the post.

Good writing and all. But everything you wrote is built on a lie and it's clear to everyone who watches and understands the game of football. But writers and journalist are the one's who are left with the hang over form the SB loss. Watch the falcons offense and you will see NOTHING of Kyles offense here. Why can't people get that? The numbers are out again this year and we are near dead last in pre snap motion. After the 1st quarter success of out side zone, it was completely abandoned for inside power. The crossing routes, YAC, TE usage, FB usage are barely even present in Atlanta but were staples in Kyles offense. 

The problem is people keep thinking we are running kyles playbook. We arent. We haven't been. Watch the game calls and you will see it.

43 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Good writing and all. But everything you wrote is built on a lie and it's clear to everyone who watches and understands the game of football. But writers and journalist are the one's who are left with the hang over form the SB loss. Watch the falcons offense and you will see NOTHING of Kyles offense here. Why can't people get that? The numbers are out again this year and we are near dead last in pre snap motion. After the 1st quarter success of out side zone, it was completely abandoned for inside power. The crossing routes, YAC, TE usage, FB usage are barely even present in Atlanta but were staples in Kyles offense. 

The problem is people keep thinking we are running kyles playbook. We arent. We haven't been. Watch the game calls and you will see it.

Are you sure...

Direct Quote: This time, it was the scheme former Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan installed in 2015. Although Shanahan left after the 2016 season to become the San Francisco 49ers' head coach, the Falcons have kept this system in place in the ensuing years. 

Another Direct Quote: Koetter said there hasn’t been a comfort issue with the Shanahan offense. The tough part, he said, was learning the terminology. Entering his second season calling these plays, Koetter believes he will be able to call this offense much more efficiently on game days.

“My comfort level was good both times, but in my second year in this system, I can definitely call things up faster than I could a year ago at this time,” Koetter said. “This was just a little bit of a different language for me. I had to run it through the translation machine sometimes to spit it out in the language I’d been using for my other 30-plus years of coaching. I’m the one that needed some catching up on that, not any of the key players.”

I think I'll take direct quotes from the actual coach in question over your observations in this case.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Are you sure...

Direct Quote: This time, it was the scheme former Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan installed in 2015. Although Shanahan left after the 2016 season to become the San Francisco 49ers' head coach, the Falcons have kept this system in place in the ensuing years. 

Another Direct Quote: Koetter said there hasn’t been a comfort issue with the Shanahan offense. The tough part, he said, was learning the terminology. Entering his second season calling these plays, Koetter believes he will be able to call this offense much more efficiently on game days.

“My comfort level was good both times, but in my second year in this system, I can definitely call things up faster than I could a year ago at this time,” Koetter said. “This was just a little bit of a different language for me. I had to run it through the translation machine sometimes to spit it out in the language I’d been using for my other 30-plus years of coaching. I’m the one that needed some catching up on that, not any of the key players.”

I think I'll take direct quotes from the actual coach in question over your observations in this case.

Im absolutely sure and can disprove your entire argument in 1 quote. DQ said he lies to the media and fans. Period point blank. Sorry if youre one of the millions who think that what a coach says in public and what he says behind closed doors are the same thing, but they aren't.

Since you like quotes, why did Alex Mack say this offseason, he was glad we were going back to the outside zone? If you were running Kyles offense you wouldnt have to go back to anything because you're already there!!

Additionally, why did dirk come in and change the patterns from yards to steps? Why did we bring in big fat guards in 2019 instead of the light ZBS scheme'd OLs? Why did we stop running outside zone and switch to inside power? Why did our YAC fall from 2018 4.3 to 3.5 in 2019? Where are the timing patterns where MAtt hits his 3rd step in his drop and the ball comes out? You know, silly things like what Kyle's offense is?!?

In 2019 Atlantas offense most was 11 personnel (59.1%). The secondary groupings were the 12 personnel(15.3%) and 21 personnel(11.9%). Niners used 11 personnel (41.7%) and 12 personnel (20.3%). Its an incredible stark difference the two offenses, Dirk vs Kyle.

Dude the evidence is staring you in the face. I can't help you if you can't see it. 

We aren't and haven't been running Kyles scheme. Its not just play calls. Its formations, its motion, its design, its setting up plays.

Finally others are seeing what I've been seeing for 4 years. You can't chase ghosts. If your starting point is "must build on another man's foundations" you are already ruling out the best minds in the game. Bring in the very best who is willing to come here and make him responsible for getting the best out of the players.

11 hours ago, etherdome said:

Quinn lost the SB, not Shanny.  It was Quinn's job to direct his coordinators.  

I think all the Shanny love comes from finally seeing an OC formulate a plan of attack that always kept a step ahead of the defense.  We have never seen that before in Atlanta.  

This is exactly it Ether exactly it.

Chess not Chequers.