Never thought I’d miss Mike Smith so much

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

Could be, but I’d rather go that route than a re-tread. Most great coaches (ala Belichick under parcels) learned from great coaches.

Plus Bieniemy has earned the opportunity. It’s a shame he’s not been given a HC job by now.

Two other guys who fit the innovative & young offensive mind mood are Joe Brady & Mike McDaniel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being addicted to Cocaine shouldn't make you miss being addicted to Heroine

Don’t know about missing Smith, but his teams always competed and rarely  beat themselves through indiscipline and stupid errors. I wish I could say the same about Quinn.

You guys clearly have forgotten how awful 2013-2014 were. I loved Mike Smith. I thought he was going to be our Mike Tomlin - be a permanent fixture here and bring our franchise a Super Bowl. BUT, it b

48 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Drafting is a collaboration between the both of them. Quinn's players defensively are different than Smitty's

Debo isn't the ideal MLB LB in Smitty's defense and scheme. Doubt he would've been drafted under Smitty.

Kroy Biermann was a mainstay under Smitty.

So with the Coach doing the GMs job, does that mean the GM is responsible for the coaching as well? 

The coach should and does get a voice in the draft room, however...

The player personal buck stops at the Desk of the guy with that title. 

At least it does in most winning organizations. 

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

Could be, but I’d rather go that route than a re-tread. Most great coaches (ala Belichick under parcels) learned from great coaches.

Plus Bieniemy has earned the opportunity. It’s a shame he’s not been given a HC job by now.

23 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Two other guys who fit the innovative & young offensive mind mood are Joe Brady & Mike McDaniel

And more than likely, these two guys will get jobs before Bieniemy.

It’s the NFL way! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

So with the Coach doing the GMs job, does that mean the GM is responsible for the coaching as well? 

The coach should and does get a voice in the draft room, however...

The player personal buck stops at the Desk of the guy with that title. 

At least it does in most winning organizations. 

The coach determines the scheme and the types of players he want in his scheme for the scouting department to find and the GM to draft.

The reason why the types of players Quinn has for his defense are different than what Smitty had or wanted was because of their schemes and the preferred types of players that they wanted for them.

Debo isn't the ideal MLB in Smitty's scheme. Smitty liked more traditional bigger MLBs who are more so run supporters. Quinn likes smaller MLBs that has sideline to sideline range.

It's all about scheme.

4 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The coach determines the scheme and the types of players he want in his scheme for the scouting department to find and the GM to draft.

The reason why the types of players Quinn has for his defense are different than what Smitty had or wanted was because of their schemes and the preferred types of players that they wanted for them.

Debo isn't the ideal MLB in Smitty's scheme. Smitty liked more traditional bigger MLBs who are more so run supporters. Quinn likes smaller MLBs that has sideline to sideline range.

It's all about scheme.

So... back to what we were talking about, actual talent and who is to blame for lack of it. 

I like the way you tried to change the subject though. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

So... back to what we were talking about, actual talent and who is to blame for lack of it. 

I like the way you tried to change the subject though. :lol:

How am I trying to change the subject?

The argument was that those stud defenders that helped get the Falcons to the SB probably wouldn't have been drafted to begin with under Smitty's regime despite TD being the GM.

Another thing to be taken into account is would Smitty have allowed Kyle Shanahan to be as aggressive as he is known for? I don't think he and Smitty would've meshed well at all.

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The argument was that those stud defenders that helped get the Falcons to the SB probably wouldn't have been drafted to begin with under Smitty's regime despite TD being the GM.

Another thing to be taken into account is would Smitty have allowed Kyle Shanahan to be as aggressive as he is known for? I don't think he and Smitty would've meshed well at all.

I approve this message...

19 hours ago, ChiefGSU275 said:

You guys clearly have forgotten how awful 2013-2014 were. I loved Mike Smith. I thought he was going to be our Mike Tomlin - be a permanent fixture here and bring our franchise a Super Bowl. BUT, it became clear in those years that he had taken us as far as he could go. 

Now, DQ obviously is going down the same road, and it looks like he made a great hire with Shanny and that almost got him a ring, but I don't want to go back to Mike Smith era at all. If DQ doesnt work out (and it's not looking good, but it's only one game) Uncle Arthur needs to look for someone young and innovative, not a retread. 

Those 2013-2014 years our roster was garbage. No o-line, no weapons (Harry Douglass was our #1 reciever in 2013) , no running game, players like Joplu and Warrilow starting on defense. We can blame Mike Smith all we want but who was going to take us to the playoffs with the garbage heap of a team we had those seasons? This years roster is literally one of the most talented rosters in franchise history, we have like a dozen first round picks on the team, Calvin Ridley breaking out into a premier reciever, Takk looking like a stud with Fowler who was a pro-bowler on the other end, Dieon Jones who is probably the best backer we have had... maybe ever. There's just too tmuch alent here to have 2013-2014 Mike Smith results.

Edited by Dr Long Shot
21 hours ago, FalconsAllDayUrDay said:

Yeah Quinn won't be here after this season. Unless we somehow manage to squeeze into the playoffs with 9-10 wins but nobody is confident in that in the slightest, especially after the same ole falcons football on Sunday. Id almost rather the offense be bad then to have another year of turnover on downs, dumb decisions to go for it instead of a field goal, and being top 5 in offense yet bottom half in scoring. So hard to watch that kind of football as we know. It doesn't nothing but let you down unless you've grown pretty numb to it like I have. 

You never know though, it's week 1. I'll remain hopeful because they're my birds. Unless we start 1-4 again, then I'll start to be where I was at last year, calling for Quinns head. 

The problem is that based on where we appear to be and where the competition appears to be, I fear we may end the first quarter at 0-4.  I think we are looking at a 6-10 record at the best.  We could go 4-12 if things do not change.  What has really caused me to lose optimism is that I see the same things from this coaching staff.  If we tried to change things and got steam rolled by the Seahawks, I would be more optimistic than I am.  But, watching this team make undisciplined mistakes, bad play calls, poor game plan defensively, and questionable adjustments on offense, I think we have made no effort at all to change this team for the better.  Below is what I think is going to happen this season.

Here is our schedule:

Seahawks - L

Cowboys

Bears

Packers

I predict 0-4.

Panthers

Vikings

Lions

Panthers

I predict 2-6.  Thank you Carolina for potentially being worse than we are.

Broncos

Saints

Raiders

Saints

I predict 3-9.

Chargers

Buccaneers

Chief

Buccaneers

I predict 4-12.  We can go 5-11 if Brady just does not work out in Tampa.  The flip side has us going 3-13.

Flame me all you want.  This came from the heart.  I see the Falcons just going through the motions.  That is all I see.

Edited by NaGaBoy
1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Get the f out of here! Lmao!

What does scheme have to do with starting seventh Rounder and an UDFA at linebacker not due to injuries but by Choice!? 

Having the only guy that can halfway rush the passer be at best a rotational guy, who was by far the best in your front seven? 

Or was the scheme designed to not lay a hand on the QB and trail the TE/RB by three or four yards in coverage? 

Smith was better at managing the clock, and having team discipline than DQ. The only problem is he wanted the offense to play too conservative, and he just couldnt put a defense together. I wont miss him or Quinn, I think it's time to move in another direction. I want someone who is a stud OC this time, maybe Caramichael or Bienemy. 

40 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Get the f out of here! Lmao!

What does scheme have to do with starting seventh Rounder and an UDFA at linebacker not due to injuries but by Choice!? 

Having the only guy that can halfway rush the passer be at best a rotational guy, who was by far the best in your front seven? 

Or was the scheme designed to not lay a hand on the QB and trail the TE/RB by three or four yards in coverage? 

?

Debo isn't an ideal MLB in Smitty's scheme. Curtis Lofton was. Debo would not look nearly as good having to be a strong run defender up the middle in Smitty's scheme.

Scheme is very important.

We get that Quinn has not lived up to his defensive reputation, but neither did Smitty. No Smitty would've not been better in that situation. Quinn allowed KS to be as aggressive offensively to go up 28-3 on the Pats, it came back to bite them in the end but they were very successful early because of it . We all know that Smitty would've never allowed KS to be as aggressive throughout the 2016 season like Quinn did.

KS wouldn't even be Smitty's OC from the get go because it doesn't mesh well at all with his philosophy.

3 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Smith was better at managing the clock, and having team discipline than DQ. The only problem is he wanted the offense to play too conservative, and he just couldnt put a defense together. I wont miss him to Quinn, I think it's time to move in another direction. I want someone who is a stud OC this time, maybe Caramichael or Birnemy. 

Exactly!

Smitty was too conservative offensively. KS wouldn't have been able to work that 2016 offensive magic under Smitty.

Smitty's defense was also old and stale. His time as the Bucs DC proves that. Bucs defense played way more formidable once Smitty was gone.

2 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

The problem is that based on where we appear to be and where the competition appears to be, I fear we may end the first quarter at 0-4.  I think we are looking at a 6-10 record at the best.  We could go 4-12 if things do not change.  What has really caused me to lose optimism is that I see the same things from this coaching staff.  If we tried to change things and got steam rolled by the Seahawks, I would be more optimistic than I am.  But, watching this team make undisciplined mistakes, bad play calls, poor game plan defensively, and questionable adjustments on offense, I think we have made no effort at all to change this team for the better.  Below is what I think is going to happen this season.

Here is our schedule:

Seahawks - L

Cowboys

Bears

Packers

I predict 0-4.

Panthers

Vikings

Lions

Panthers

I predict 2-6.  Thank you Carolina for potentially being worse than we are.

Broncos

Saints

Raiders

Saints

I predict 3-9.

Chargers

Buccaneers

Chief

Buccaneers

I predict 4-12.  We can go 5-11 if Brady just does not work out in Tampa.  The flip side has us going 3-13.

Flame me all you want.  This came from the heart.  I see the Falcons just going through the motions.  That is all I see.

I totally feel you man. Its a better start than the past two years though at least, thats one of the things I'm trying to look positively at. The offense if not for turnovers scores 30+ easy so if we can correct that then it'll go a long way and help us win some games.

I realistically could see us winning between 5-8 games but of course being a fan im hoping for 10+. We all know there's no chance of that though unless we start playing a better brand of football that, save for the end of last year, and even a little bit at that, we haven't seen with Quinn here. He was saved by Shanahan amazing offense and the execution we had doing it. If not for Shanny, Quinn wouldve been out if not last year than the year before, no quesrion in my mind. 

It sucks rooting for a team where you have zero faith in the coaching but what can ya do at the moment. 

Just for fun, as it currently stands, I see our schedule potentially going like so:

SEA L 25-38

@DAL L 24-31

CHI W 27-20

@GB L 24-38

CAR W 35-20

@MIN L 19-28

DET W 31-28

@CAR W 28-16

DEN W 31-20

@NO L 23-35

LVR W 31-24

NO W 30-28

@LAC W 27-24

TB W 30-24

@KC L 28-42

@TB L 24-28

Obviously this is being optimistic but its still possible. Also, I do these for fun so its ever changing ha