Never thought I’d miss Mike Smith so much

I liked Smith but DQ has given us the best 4-year results.

Honestly, losing shouldn't be the main determinant for a head coach to lose his job. I'm more concerned if he has lost the ears in the locker room and looking at how the team rallied during the second half of last year, it's clear to me that this team still loves playing for DQ. 

I like the talent on the field by TD and the defensive coaches brought in by DQ... I hate the decisions on the offensive side of the ball. But you don't throw the baby out with the bath water and start over... Fix offensive play-calling, give the guys some continuity and let them work

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being addicted to Cocaine shouldn't make you miss being addicted to Heroine

Don’t know about missing Smith, but his teams always competed and rarely  beat themselves through indiscipline and stupid errors. I wish I could say the same about Quinn.

You guys clearly have forgotten how awful 2013-2014 were. I loved Mike Smith. I thought he was going to be our Mike Tomlin - be a permanent fixture here and bring our franchise a Super Bowl. BUT, it b

23 hours ago, ramonezy said:

I liked Smith but DQ has given us the best 4-year results.

Honestly, losing shouldn't be the main determinant for a head coach to lose his job. I'm more concerned if he has lost the ears in the locker room and looking at how the team rallied during the second half of last year, it's clear to me that this team still loves playing for DQ. 

I like the talent on the field by TD and the defensive coaches brought in by DQ... I hate the decisions on the offensive side of the ball. But you don't throw the baby out with the bath water and start over... Fix offensive play-calling, give the guys some continuity and let them work

Well said. Waay too much silly talk going on in here after just one game.

10 hours ago, jetpac said:

Smiths teams were a microcosm of a game of inches. Ball control rare shots downfield and eck our a win. There was never a foot on neck moment with Smiths teams (sans Tampa bay 2014) which is why we failed so hard in the playoffs when we ran against premiere teams who could score at will.

Smitty also didn’t know how to develop players, gave to much respect to vets (Steven Jackson over Devonte Freeman????) and his clock management was laughable. The worst thing about Smitty though, the ENTIRE TEAM WAS SOFT. Like him.

Was coming to pretty much say this.

Under Quinn, we at least had some cutthroat somewhat when shanny was here. 2016 was probably the most dominant we ever looked since maybe 98. 2017 we still went out there and beat an up and coming Rams team, and battled the eventual SB champs to the last second.

At least with Quinn, we've watched multiple talents rise as top tier talents like Debo, Keanu, and Grady, and got the most out of guys like Rico, Coleman, Freeman, and Kazee. Sheffield, Gage, and Cominsky are gaining some steam. Same can be said for Lindstrom and McGary. 

Guys like Davidson and Takk would have never been picked by Smitty. Takk looked finally motivated, and maybe he has a late rise like Fowler has.

13 minutes ago, jm_falcons said:

Smith was very animated. In a player friendly way...he always demanded and got 100%. Now I look at Quinn....and he just looks like this empty vessel that has no answer whatsoever to what is happening to this team.

What you’re describing is exactly what everyone was saying about Smith in 2014 or during any of his playoff losses 

5 hours ago, conn said:

Towards the end of Mike Smiths time here, I didn’t think he could get us over the hump and I wanted the Falcons to make a change. Now we’ve got a coaching staff and front office that I don’t believe can get us to a winning record. 

• After 53 seasons and 16 coaches Smitty is still the all time winningest Falcons HC at 66-46 (.589).
  • Buddy had four playoff berths in his first five years. With no losing seasons and the first ever Falcon back to back.
  • Smash mouth football with a high degree of discipline was his blueprint. It was successful.
  • Had four Top 10 scoring offenses in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. With and without explosives.
  • Posted up three Top 10 defenses in DVOA in 2010, 2011 and 2012 with two different DCs.
  • Had three Top 10 special teams units in DVOA in 2008, 2010 and 2014.
  • Would've had a 3-2 postseason record and SB berth if his players hadn't gone keystone cop in the 2008 and 2012 playoffs.
  • His 2013 & 2014 seasons were Troffed by Dimi in the 2013 cap purge that sent Abe, Grimes, Turner, Mud Duck, Clabo and RobbinUs to the State Line and replaced them with Osi, Tru, SJax, King Konz, Puddin and Alf. Jeez.

I will always miss Smitty.

Teams were always well prepared... sure not many adjustments were ever made during the games but I fail to see DQ doing that either.

Players were disciplined and Smitty was red hot when someone made a big mistake... DQ gives candy on the sidelines to those players.

He didn‘t lose back to back games much... I think we never did once in the first 3-4... DQ is the master of losing streaks, especially really long ones

The defense wasn‘t good but made opponents earn their points... DQ defenses offer TDs on a golden platter.

No matter if we won or lost, we always were almost always in position to win the game late in the 4th quarter... DQ lost the plot in most games the last 2-3 years before the 4th quarter even started

I will always love Smitty

3 hours ago, jetpac said:

Smiths teams were a microcosm of a game of inches. Ball control rare shots downfield and eck our a win. There was never a foot on neck moment with Smiths teams (sans Tampa bay 2014) which is why we failed so hard in the playoffs when we ran against premiere teams who could score at will.

Smitty also didn’t know how to develop players, gave to much respect to vets (Steven Jackson over Devonte Freeman????) and his clock management was laughable. The worst thing about Smitty though, the ENTIRE TEAM WAS SOFT. Like him.

I don’t disagree with this - and that’s why I don’t miss Smith.

However, I thin Quinn’s teams are just as soft if not softer than Smith’s and even though Smith was one  of the worst game managers I’ve ever seen, I think DQ Somehow manages to be even worse.

6 hours ago, conn said:

Towards the end of Mike Smiths time here, I didn’t think he could get us over the hump and I wanted the Falcons to make a change. Now we’ve got a coaching staff and front office that I don’t believe can get us to a winning record. 

Yes sir. At a minimum, you knew the team would be well-prepared and disciplined.

With this staff, you don't know if the team is going to take 5 or 8 games off at any random moment.

4 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

My echo.... never thought Mike Smith was the problem. Acquiring players like Ray Edwards, Sam Baker, Peter Knoz and all those no playing DEs was more of the problem. But according to the experts here - it was Mike Smith who was choosing the players. Funny thing the common denominator s still here

That common dumominator CLAIMS he just picks who the coach wants. 

Which is Bass Ackwards! 

2 hours ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Smith was never the same after his health scare.  He lost his edge after that.  I was genuinely worried for him in 2014. 

Ask yourself which team would be better:

Smith coaching Quinn’s current roster, or

Quinn coaching Smith’s 2008 roster?

Wouldn't matter because both teams would end up crapping the bed tbh

14 minutes ago, supercollider said:

I never missed Smitty more than the 4th quarter of Superbowl 51, because he would have played it safe and RUN THE BALL!  His biggest issue besides clock management was playing keep away too early and with too small a lead.

True

....but you can also make the case that the Falcons wouldn't be up 28-3 on the Patriots from the get go under Smitty. Smitty's defenses were never as aggressive as the Falcons defense was that 1st half of SB51 getting after Brady.

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True

....but you can also make the case that the Falcons wouldn't be up 28-3 on the Patriots from the get go under Smitty. Smitty's defenses were never as aggressive as the Falcons defense was that 1st half of SB51 getting after Brady.

But then again, we’re Smittys defenses EVER as talented as Quinn’s which allows him to play that way?

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True

That amoeba defense in 2012 was picking off everything in sight.  That's why we would have merked the Ravens had Matt not missed a wide open Gonzalez in the endzone in that year's conference title game.

29 minutes ago, supercollider said:

At least Smitty was genuine.  Sargeant Slogan is all rah-rah and t-shirts.  When Smitty lost a game, he was either truly pissed off or literally scratching his head instead of embracing the suck like Coach Bro.

And most of the time, Smitty didn’t have the better roster. 

I know the GM(the guy in charge of building roster) says it was his fault though.

17 hours ago, conn said:

If only we had Dan Quinn or Marquand Manuel as our defensive coordinator with Mike Smith as our coach and Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.

23 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Why is the coach making drafts picks again when you have a GM that is supposed to?

Drafting is a collaboration between the both of them. Quinn's players defensively are different than Smitty's

Debo isn't the ideal MLB LB in Smitty's defense and scheme. Doubt he would've been drafted under Smitty.

Kroy Biermann was a mainstay under Smitty.