Never thought I’d miss Mike Smith so much

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being addicted to Cocaine shouldn't make you miss being addicted to Heroine

Don’t know about missing Smith, but his teams always competed and rarely  beat themselves through indiscipline and stupid errors. I wish I could say the same about Quinn.

You guys clearly have forgotten how awful 2013-2014 were. I loved Mike Smith. I thought he was going to be our Mike Tomlin - be a permanent fixture here and bring our franchise a Super Bowl. BUT, it b

Yeah Quinn won't be here after this season. Unless we somehow manage to squeeze into the playoffs with 9-10 wins but nobody is confident in that in the slightest, especially after the same ole falcons football on Sunday. Id almost rather the offense be bad then to have another year of turnover on downs, dumb decisions to go for it instead of a field goal, and being top 5 in offense yet bottom half in scoring. So hard to watch that kind of football as we know. It doesn't nothing but let you down unless you've grown pretty numb to it like I have. 

You never know though, it's week 1. I'll remain hopeful because they're my birds. Unless we start 1-4 again, then I'll start to be where I was at last year, calling for Quinns head. 

11 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

Don’t know about missing Smith, but his teams always competed and rarely  beat themselves through indiscipline and stupid errors. I wish I could say the same about Quinn.

Smiths teams were a microcosm of a game of inches. Ball control rare shots downfield and eck our a win. There was never a foot on neck moment with Smiths teams (sans Tampa bay 2014) which is why we failed so hard in the playoffs when we ran against premiere teams who could score at will.

Smitty also didn’t know how to develop players, gave to much respect to vets (Steven Jackson over Devonte Freeman????) and his clock management was laughable. The worst thing about Smitty though, the ENTIRE TEAM WAS SOFT. Like him.

I am in the very small minority. I loved Mike Smith. I hated to see him fired. He made the best with what he had. He never had anything remotely close to a Kyle Shanahan. His teams were always focused and disciplined. Every SB team hasn’t blown out teams during the regular season. I’ve been missing Mike Smith. I never cared for Quinn, even in 2016. I already knew what that was. 

1 hour ago, conn said:

Towards the end of Mike Smiths time here, I didn’t think he could get us over the hump and I wanted the Falcons to make a change. Now we’ve got a coaching staff and front office that I don’t believe can get us to a winning record. 

I don't find this to be accurate at all. Toward the end of Mike Smith's tenure, the Falcons had one of the worst rosters in the NFL and had terrible win/loss records. The Falcons fell on the wrong side of the hump with him years before he was fired. 

Quinn has a pretty good roster and has settled into life as the modern Jeff Fisher with a floor and ceiling around 8-8 because he has no schematic advantages over other coaches. 

1 hour ago, conn said:

Towards the end of Mike Smiths time here, I didn’t think he could get us over the hump and I wanted the Falcons to make a change. Now we’ve got a coaching staff and front office that I don’t believe can get us to a winning record. 

My echo.... never thought Mike Smith was the problem. Acquiring players like Ray Edwards, Sam Baker, Peter Knoz and all those no playing DEs was more of the problem. But according to the experts here - it was Mike Smith who was choosing the players. Funny thing the common denominator s still here

You guys clearly have forgotten how awful 2013-2014 were. I loved Mike Smith. I thought he was going to be our Mike Tomlin - be a permanent fixture here and bring our franchise a Super Bowl. BUT, it became clear in those years that he had taken us as far as he could go. 

Now, DQ obviously is going down the same road, and it looks like he made a great hire with Shanny and that almost got him a ring, but I don't want to go back to Mike Smith era at all. If DQ doesnt work out (and it's not looking good, but it's only one game) Uncle Arthur needs to look for someone young and innovative, not a retread. 

What this team desperately needs is a creative offensive mind. The league is changing and offensive playcalling has become more critical than ever. And we need this as the guy running the team, not just the offense. Forget the defensive head coaches. Especially ones like Quinn who ran their head coaches defense. 

If McVay were fired tomorrow, I would want the falcons to hire him immediately 

1 hour ago, ukfalc said:

One other point (and yes I was afraid MS couldn’t get us there I admit) MS’s problems were at times associated w DK.  Not all of them but 2 points in NY Playoff game .....it’s inexplicable!!  DK may well grease skids for DK also.  

Just now, BUBBASBEANS said:

One other point (and yes I was afraid MS couldn’t get us there I admit) MS’s problems were at times associated w DK.  Not all of them but 2 points in NY Playoff game .....it’s inexplicable!!  DK may well grease skids for DK also.  

Eh, Mike Smith’s defenses were downright embarrassing in 2013 and 2014. 

1 hour ago, Halcon-1 said:

I am in the very small minority. I loved Mike Smith. I hated to see him fired. He made the best with what he had. He never had anything remotely close to a Kyle Shanahan. His teams were always focused and disciplined. Every SB team hasn’t blown out teams during the regular season. I’ve been missing Mike Smith. I never cared for Quinn, even in 2016. I already knew what that was. 

I did too. Knuckleheads calling him soft only remember 2013-14, but he built some competent defenses out of Mostly chicken scratch scrubs as focus was mostly offense 2008-12. His overall body of work was impressive, and IMHO best coach in falcon’s history.

He lost his way as a coach after his health scare.

30 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

What this team desperately needs is a creative offensive mind. The league is changing and offensive playcalling has become more critical than ever. And we need this as the guy running the team, not just the offense. Forget the defensive head coaches. Especially ones like Quinn who ran their head coaches defense. 

If McVay were fired tomorrow, I would want the falcons to hire him immediately 

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-bieniemy-hc-job-will-happen-when-timing-is-right

1 hour ago, jetpac said:

Smiths teams were a microcosm of a game of inches. Ball control rare shots downfield and eck our a win. There was never a foot on neck moment with Smiths teams (sans Tampa bay 2014) which is why we failed so hard in the playoffs when we ran against premiere teams who could score at will.

Smitty also didn’t know how to develop players, gave to much respect to vets (Steven Jackson over Devonte Freeman????) and his clock management was laughable. The worst thing about Smitty though, the ENTIRE TEAM WAS SOFT. Like him.

No. Mike smith over achieved with talent TD got him on the roster. Falcons had terrible draft for 2-3 years which setup the 2013, and 2014 disasters with injuries. 
DQ is terrible wasting the talent the team has.

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Eh, Mike Smith’s defenses were downright embarrassing in 2013 and 2014. 

That’s more roster building by TD and injuries. Let’s name the LB TD got him to run 3-4. I will wait..  

11 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

The two is MM, not DK. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I did too. Knuckleheads calling him soft only remember 2013-14, but he built some competent defenses out of Mostly chicken scratch scrubs as focus was mostly offense 2008-12. His overall body of work was impressive, and IMHO best coach in falcon’s history.

He lost his way as a coach after his health scare.

Yep. Most successful coach in the Falcons history. It’s obvious DQ rode KS to SB. MS defenses with decent personal were much better than dumpster DQ has put On the field.

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No. Mike smith over achieved with talent TD got him on the roster. Falcons had terrible draft for 2-3 years which setup the 2013, and 2014 disasters with injuries. 
DQ is terrible wasting the talent the team has.

That’s more roster building by TD and injuries. Let’s name the LB TD got him to run 3-4. I will wait..  

The two is MM, not DK. 

Yep. Most successful coach in the Falcons history. It’s obvious DQ rode KS to SB. MS defenses with decent personal were much better than dumpster DQ has put On the field.

Joplo Bartu? Stud bruh

6 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

But if he had these players? What would you project or defense to rank? 

To your point, We’ve definitely focused much more on defense during Quinn’s reign than we did during smith’s, as we were building an offense around a young QB in those early years of Ryan.

And we do have some real talent on the defensive side of ball, which makes it even more frustrating with the coaching.

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I don’t know if I like it...could be just like Quinn. That’s Andy Reid’s offense 

Could be, but I’d rather go that route than a re-tread. Most great coaches (ala Belichick under parcels) learned from great coaches.

Plus Bieniemy has earned the opportunity. It’s a shame he’s not been given a HC job by now.