Defense looks just as bad as it did last season at the start

6 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Why do people want to blame the defense? The offense went 0 - 3 on fourth down. Special team lost a fumble on 4th down. That's not the defense fault.

Quinn gave the offense multiple chances to prove it's worth and they didn't get it done.

Why???????  Really?  You are either naive or Raheem Morris posting under an assumed name!  THe defense was the worst I have ever seen.....AS pointed out on ESPN...Wilson never had to throw into a tight window at  ANY point today....the scheme is so flawed that the recievers were THAT  wide open!

Edited by lostnmexico
grammar
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do people want to blame the defense? The offense went 0 - 3 on fourth down. Special team lost a fumble on 4th down. That's not the defense fault. Quinn gave the offense multiple chances to pr

Really need Sheffield back. He is the best CB on the roster.

It happens. They had two DBs run into each other and Ridley was wide open in the endzone.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

How did I miss this little jab-roni?

Nobody’s making excuses, we lost. But my point was the offense put the defense in some holes. Frankly, are you really surprised the D gave up a lot of points to a Russell Wilson team in game 1 of season, especially in a game the offense was 0-4 in 4th down conversions? Seriously, get a grip.

(1) I mean, how can anyone really be that surprised? When has a dan Quinn D ever came out strong in game 1 of season?

(2) We’re starting a rookie corner, our SS is coming off a serious injury, and we got out coached again in halftime adjustments.

There’s plenty not to like, for sure. But I saw a lot I did like too. Gurley looked strong and healthy, which will help the D as season goes along....Takk Played like we’ve been expecting him to, as his shoulder is apparently healthy. Fowler brought an energy we haven’t seen on D since Abe was here. Grady looked like a monster. Imagine when we get Marlon going, our DL is gonna be a handful.

Secondary is the concern, the safety play especially was unacceptable with that kind of experience back there, no excuses. Terrell showed his inexperience, but he also showed his talent. We also could have used Sheffield in secondary today. We all knew secondary play will be the early issue defensively.

it’s gonna take awhile, but I think this defense can be good if we stay healthy (always a big if). I can honestly say there’s real talent on that side of ball for first time since forever. Offense  has to carry us until they get there.

That’s a lot or words for the knew generation. You’d be better off posting a video with two sentences. 

4 incompletions!!! That’s all we could force out of Wilson. The D is soft. Most of the completions were to wide open receivers! The pass rush was decent but the coverage was hot garbage! So much for A.J. Terrell looking great 

On 9/13/2020 at 11:17 PM, zzfrow said:

I'm not trying to blame the defense solely for the loss, I just don't understand how we seem to be so inconsistent on defense.  I mean we hear that Quinn is making progress with the defense, the defense shows good improvement over the last six games of last season, and then it seems like we are starting back from where we are at the beginning of last season and not the end of last season.  I guess I just don't understand how consistency, in all phases on our team, is so elusive. 

In my opinion Quinn never picks up from last season and go from there.

His mind is like an Etch A Sketch, he shakes his head and comes up with a new plan. It may take a few games for everyone to get on the same page.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Vandy said:

He knew that the 2nd series in a 7-3 game? Gonna call BS on that one. 

Not necessarily. He watched training camp, and maybe he knew all of the accolades that the media & Falcon's Marketing folks were pushing out about how the defense balling out were "Fool's Gold". 

Edit: For the record, I am a guy who believes in a strong kicking game. I would punt and pin team's deep, and kick FG's. Too many games can come down to the end, if you take FG's when given the opportunity.

Edited by Boise Falcon Fan

I've never seen us "carry momentum" over with any coach in the like 22 years of watching the Falcons.

Instead we cost ourselves premium draft location where we could have gotten blue chip prospects. Sure, some of them would be busts too but when you play like a 4-12 team at a 7-9 draft slot, there's a reason you don't really improve.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:33 PM, FinalScore2.0 said:

Why do people want to blame the defense? The offense went 0 - 3 on fourth down. Special team lost a fumble on 4th down. That's not the defense fault.

Quinn gave the offense multiple chances to prove it's worth and they didn't get it done.

Multiple chances? The only quarter they held the Seahawks in check was the second quarter.. .ya know the same quarter the Falcons came back to cut it to 2? If Quinn would have had even a the smallest glimmer of confidence in the defense we would not have attempted 4(it was 4, not three) fourth downs, including one on our own side of the field with over 20 minutes left in the game. 

Having said all that the loss is much more on Dan Quinn's shoulders than the defense IMO. The defense did hold Seattle to 3/9 on thrid down, it's a pretty safe bet that if we weren't gifting Seattle amazing field position and missing out on easy FGs it would have been at the very least a 10 point swing heading into the mid fourth quarter. We would have probably been either up or down a score with a chance to win if we had just had normal non-******** game management from Quinn. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
19 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Multiple chances? The only quarter they held the Seahawks in check was the second quarter.. .ya know the same quarter the Falcons came back to cut it to 2? If Quinn would have had even a the smallest glimmer of confidence in the defense we would not have attempted 4(it was 4, not three) fourth downs, including one on our own side of the field with over 20 minutes left in the game. 

Having said all that the loss is much more on Dan Quinn's shoulders than the defense IMO. The defense did hold Seattle to 3/9 on thrid down, it's a pretty safe bet that if we weren't gifting Seattle amazing field position and missing out on easy FGs it would have been at the very least a 10 point swing heading into the mid fourth quarter. We would have probably been either up or down a score with a chance to win if we had just had normal non-******** game management from Quinn. 

I think we agree on most just word things differently. Offense went for it on 4th down 3 times. Special team went for it once. 3 + 1 = 4. Yes Quinn made the call.

I didn't feel that Quinn had no confidence in the defense as you say. I felt he was over confident that the offense and special team could get it done. Only Quinn can answer to that but he has said many times he wants to be aggressive.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Got to blame the guy that decided to go for it on 4th and 3 from midfield on the 2nd series of the game.

That screams desperation

Whatever it screams, it worked until Neasman fumbled. I mean, ball security is football 101, regardless of position.

It was actually a well executed fake punt and would have been a first down had the ball not been fumbled.

5 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Whatever it screams, it worked until Neasman fumbled. I mean, ball security is football 101, regardless of position.

It was actually a well executed fake punt and would have been a first down had the ball not been fumbled.

It's about risk reward, was that fourth down conversion worth the minimum 3 points (ended up being 7) we would likely be giving up by not converting? Probably not. Those three/seven points and the short FG we didn't take are the difference between a blowout and us being right in the game at the end there. 

11 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

I think we agree on most just word things differently. Offense went for it on 4th down 3 times. Special team went for it once. 3 + 1 = 4. Yes Quinn made the call.

I didn't feel that Quinn had no confidence in the defense as you say. I felt he was over confident that the offense and special team could get it done. Only Quinn can answer to that but he has said many times he wants to be aggressive.

The problem with Quinn being "over confident" is where does/did that come from? What has this offense, defense, team ever done to illicit over confidence? Being "over confident" is a character flaw, IMHO. Be smart, make good decisions, and going for it 4 times is generally not a recipe for success.

13 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Notice where I said the 2nd series of the game.

I wasn't referring to the fake that happened later. I was talking about on the 2nd possession.

4 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

The problem with Quinn being "over confident" is where does/did that come from? What has this offense, defense, team ever done to illicit over confidence? Being "over confident" is a character flaw, IMHO. Be smart, make good decisions, and going for it 4 times is generally not a recipe for success.

Circumstances matter. Going for it in the second quarter when it's just a two score game is unnecessary, could have been up at halftime if it wasn't for that decision. That's a huge difference in the game. Going for it mid third quarter on your side of the field is equally perplexing, if it was on the other side of the field than sure, the risk reward makes sense. But on your own side you are conceding points for a questionable benefit. Another set of downs at our own 40 isn't worth giving up 3 points. It makes 0 sense.

57 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Too many fans are overlooking the blown opportunities on offense. Should've had more points the 1st half.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:56 PM, falcon app said:

Is it really Oliver or coaching? He had several good plays but on the play DK beat him, where was safety help? 

There safety help was in close to defend the 4th down play.  Oliver just got beat. In that situation,  you just can't allow that to happen. Tackle the guy, hold, grab, something. Technique was off on that play.