CFB First week of football!!! Discuss..

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

Why is the SEC starting so much later than everyone else?

All the non conference games were removed and they had to come up with a revamped schedule which also added more conference games. It also got pushed back to help deal with issues related to the pandemic. They want to have some leeway for games being postponed due to players and staff potentially testing positive so they can avoid having to cancel the remainder of the season. 

I’m worried about some of these cancelled games.  These teams get 1-2 positive cases and want to postpone the game.  Come on!  Ga Southern had 31 players out today and still played (some were out for discipline) granted it almost cost them the game but they still played 

1 hour ago, 007dawg said:

I’m worried about some of these cancelled games.  These teams get 1-2 positive cases and want to postpone the game.  Come on!  Ga Southern had 31 players out today and still played (some were out for discipline) granted it almost cost them the game but they still played 

Yeah I've been concerned about it myself... it really won't take much for it to start cascading, messing up the schedule and become unmanageable. People can say what they want about the virus or the media or whatever, I don't really care. It's just cold hard logistics, following public health procedures and professional, objective risk management. 

Some of these schools are going to play with who is available because football revenue accounts for the vast majority of their athletic department's budget. Many of these schools, particularly at lower conference levels, are very screwed if they can't bring in that money. 

When you look at the people who actually make those decisions and put their careers on the line for it though, they have all made it clear they're going to err on the side of caution even if that means postponing or canceling games. We should all make peace with the idea that the season could be cut even shorter. It's just the reality of this season unfortunately. Hopefully we get a full season though!

11 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah I've been concerned about it myself... it really won't take much for it to start cascading, messing up the schedule and become unmanageable. People can say what they want about the virus or the media or whatever, I don't really care. It's just cold hard logistics, following public health procedures and professional, objective risk management. 

Some of these schools are going to play with who is available because football revenue accounts for the vast majority of their athletic department's budget. Many of these schools, particularly at lower conference levels, are very screwed if they can't bring in that money. 

When you look at the people who actually make those decisions and put their careers on the line for it though, they have all made it clear they're going to err on the side of caution even if that means postponing or canceling games. We should all make peace with the idea that the season could be cut even shorter. It's just the reality of this season unfortunately. Hopefully we get a full season though!

After the Virginia vs. Virginia Tech season opener for next weekend was postponed the ACC came out and say if they drop below having 8 teams participating they would cancel their season.