Remember When Matt Ryan Was Overpaid?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget that. Nobody does that except for Brady who has a wife worth more money than him. In this business, players should go for every single penny they are worth. No questions asked. 

This was exactly what the rational people were trying to explain when everyone was talking about how terrible Ryan's deal was and how he was way overpaid.

12 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

It's interesting that half the QBs on the list have at least one SB ring.

Of the remaining:

Watson 24 years old

Goff 25 yrs

Prescott 27 yrs

Cousins 32 yrs

Ryan 35 yrs

Ryan can at least claim to have had the ring in his hands until stupid coaching (or unexplainable events) took it away.

16 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Forget that. Nobody does that except for Brady who has a wife worth more money than him. In this business, players should go for every single penny they are worth. No questions asked. 

yep, as Glanville said, NFL = not for long

better get while the gettin is good

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

Also, consider the tax rates of the modern era - even with fancy accounting, an extra million is not even half that in net pay.

The fact that Ryan has the ability to give $500K in a donation without problems tells you he is not feeling shortchanged and probably has a smart accountant.

and is probably a tax deductible 

8 hours ago, Vandy said:

See it in here all the time....Hypocritical fans expecting players to do something they themselves would never do.

And, the thing is his cap hit was middle of the league in recent years despite the new deal.

Falcons maybe could’ve had up to $10M in cap space on a rookie QB contract. That wasn’t the difference in this team doing anything past 2 years. It’s been coaching and defense/run game.

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Also, consider the tax rates of the modern era - even with fancy accounting, an extra million is not even half that in net pay.

The fact that Ryan has the ability to give $500K in a donation without problems tells you he is not feeling shortchanged and probably has a smart accountant.

There are a lot of factors that go into assembling a roster and wining a championship, that could make that million dollar sacrifice pointless. I'm sure if giving up one million in salary this year would guarantee a ring, he'd do it. As would a lot of players. There's a reason you don't see anyone doing it.

19 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I agree which is why M Ryan should hold out like Julio and get paid more.  Get what he can while the getting is good!

I became a fan of the Ice Man in his second game. Went down to Tampa and got raked. Got up and kept fighting for 60 minutes. We lost but that was the day I signed up to Ryan. Best Falcon QB ever. Yeah might not be a top 5 NFL QB but he is deadly and could get us some rest.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

He skipped voluntary OTAs. He didn’t hold out in the preseason. Fake news.

My bad he didn't hold out preseason, he just didn't play any.  LOL

He also wasn't sure if he was going to play game 1 but we saw how the extension worked out for him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/will-julio-jones-skip-falcons-opener-receiver-gives-vague-answer-when-asked-if-****-play-in-week-1/

Again, M Ryan should use similar tactics and get an extension to get more money.  M Ryan should be paid more than some of those scrubs making more than him.  The same sentiment was said about Julio and should be said about M Ryan.  If anyone on the Falcons deserve more money it is most definitely M Ryan, who has had to put up with terrible oline play and numerous offensive coordinators throughout his time in ATL.  

4 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

My bad he didn't hold out preseason, he just didn't play any.  LOL

He also wasn't sure if he was going to play game 1 but we saw how the extension worked out for him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/will-julio-jones-skip-falcons-opener-receiver-gives-vague-answer-when-asked-if-****-play-in-week-1/

Again, M Ryan should use similar tactics and get an extension to get more money.  M Ryan should be paid more than some of those scrubs making more than him.  The same sentiment was said about Julio and should be said about M Ryan.  If anyone on the Falcons deserve more money it is most definitely M Ryan, who has had to put up with terrible oline play and numerous offensive coordinators throughout his time in ATL.  

No. Difference is Ryan has guaranteed money still.

Also, that was a debunked media quote out of context. When asked what they should say in the interview to clarify any confusion he said they can write he will play Sunday. Everything else was media noise and spinning.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

This was exactly what the rational people were trying to explain when everyone was talking about how terrible Ryan's deal was and how he was way overpaid.

Starting QB's always get (over?)paid, and the good ones expect to set the new bar for salaries. WR seems to be trending the same way. That's insane Wentz is that high up there, he hasn't done anything.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yep...as @Vandy pointed out, nobody in these threads would cut their pay at their job. I wouldn’t. I earned it. Matt earned his. 

People are just different.  I've cut my pay multiples times before to have some other aspect at work that I care about more (better team, more vacation time, etc.)  It's not at all weird for someone to take less money for other important work things.  Especially if you're part of a team.

I can easily say that if I'd made 150M, I'd gladly take a 30% salary reduction for a more quality team.  But I'd only do that if I had confidence I would have a better team around me.  I wouldn't give up the money just on a hope.

And I don't get mad at QB's who don't.  But to say no one would do that is wrong.  I know lots of people in all kinds of jobs who take less money for other benefits.