Means activated; Bucannon released

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Panthers only have one good LB (Thompson), a journeyman vet (Whitehead), and four guys with a combined 32 tackles last year.  The Bucs run a 3-4 and only have four off ball LBs. Their backup

I was looking forward to seeing how Bucannon fit... Im a little disappointed

Whitehead is literally terrible. You're taking him off of name recognition.  Yall have got to watch more than just the Falcons. Nobody would take Whitehead with a straight face. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Makes you think that with Neal being healthy and playing in the box more, we didn't need Bucannon as much. 

Probably more of the reason and us being committed to less and less "3 LB" sets; basically counting either DFJ or Takk as similar to a 3-4 OLB essentially. There's your "3rd LB" in "base" look.

After all, the 3-4/5-2 front 7 look last year was not the main issue with the defense. Coaching it and the coverage call out of any particular formation or defensive play call was.

EDIT: Big Nickel is different though, we won't run both Tyeler and Bailey out there but the idea is similar. You can still blitz one side and drop into a zone. 4 DL in the Big Nickel being the difference compared to the front last year.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
1 minute ago, stizz said:

We are scary thin at linebacker and have 11 dlinemen. I don't know what the infatuation is with Means.

Played decently to end 2018 to let us kick Brooks Reed. He was going to be our Base DE in 2019 but got injured in OTAs or the first part of TC; iirc.

So really, it's his first year back from injury after earning snaps and getting his first look with more reps denied. :shrug:

1 minute ago, vel said:

Debo, Foye, Walker, Reynolds with Neal being a quasi LB. Don't think we're anymore thin than the rest of the NFL. 

Plus Hawkins supposedly getting reps at LB, too. Deone becomes redundant and depth at DE is actually more of a concern with regards to depth.

On that note, I wonder if we bring in Walker for some blitz packages specifically.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Plus Hawkins supposedly getting reps at LB, too. Deone becomes redundant and depth at DE is actually more of a concern with regards to depth.

On that note, I wonder if we bring in Walker for some blitz packages specifically.

Agreed. I expect this to be a blitzing defense with more safeties being in the box. Will be interesting, especially with a big nickel base essentially. 

Just now, stizz said:

Reynolds is strictly ST and Walker is a guy who many considered a reach in the 4th. That's thin.

Take a gander around the league. I guess the whole league is thin on LB depth if that's the case. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Agreed. I expect this to be a blitzing defense with more safeties being in the box. Will be interesting, especially with a big nickel base essentially. 

Take a gander around the league. I guess the whole league is thin on LB depth if that's the case. 

We have four pure linebackers. I won't count Neal until he can prove healthy. The rest of our division has a minimum of 6. That is a recipe for disaster if Debo or Foye go down and we have to ask career ST journeyman Laroy Reynolds to take snaps.

16 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Coach Bro tries that cross train junk and when has it worked out? Tried standing up Tak, didn't work. Tried being hands on with Vic, dude didn't even respect him enough to try it out. Tried Goodwin at corner, didn't work out. Tried Garland snaps on dline, didn't work out.

Dude needs to worry about getting the most out of players in their natural position, and instead the goof wants to run exotic Madden gameplays.

12 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't know. Maybe I'm confused as to who is out there with copious amounts of depth at LB. This is said every year, yet most teams can barely field three competent LBs, let alone have any coming off the bench. 

My first guess would be to see how many teams are 3-4. I wish camp was still here regardless how folks felt about his play on the feild 

6 minutes ago, stizz said:

Coach Bro tries that cross train junk and when has it worked out? Tried standing up Tak, didn't work. Tried being hands on with Vic, dude didn't even respect him enough to try it out. Tried Goodwin at corner, didn't work out. Tried Garland snaps on dline, didn't work out.

Dude needs to worry about getting the most out of players in their natural position, and instead the goof wants to run exotic Madden gameplays.

Some of those statements are more subjective than truth.

Goodwin had some good moments for us, Garland too, on both sides. Dont remember Takk playing LB, but him rushing from a 2-point stance was something he did at UCLA. The Vic comment..... yeah I guess you know something we dont,