Elijah Holyfield cut by the Eagles

I've said before, he didn't make the wrong decision, at least not from an athletic point of view.

His stock was never going to be higher. He would have been completely overshadowed the following year by far more talented RBs. Meanwhile, the athletic stuff was going to be the same no matter what.

Only real argument you can make is that he should've stuck around to get his degree, but even the little money he's made so far will help with that, if not cover it completely. 

He just sucks

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

I've said before, he didn't make the wrong decision, at least not from an athletic point of view.

His stock was never going to be higher. He would have been completely overshadowed the following year by far more talented RBs. Meanwhile, the athletic stuff was going to be the same no matter what.

Only real argument you can make is that he should've stuck around to get his degree, but even the little money he's made so far will help with that, if not cover it completely. 

He just sucks

Well yeah, there’s that too. 

I never understood all the Holyfield hype* and there were a lot of us who said he'd never cut it in the NFL.  But even in school, he had what...three of four good games against less-than-elite defenses?  That might look good on film but transfer that film to the speed of the NFL before you anoint the next great college phenom.  I'm looking at you, Chase Young.  

*Bulldog mania notwithstanding

56 minutes ago, hjerry said:

He just sucks

He made over $700K so hopefully he'll invest his money wisely. 

A lot of fans think that playing for their favorite college is the highest honor and that these young men are greedy or stupid to leave early. However, there's a lot that happens behind the scenes that can compel someone to leave including a general aversion to school, a bad fit with coaches, problems with school culture or even personal relationships that might have gone sideways. Can't imagine Holyfield left because he needed to put food in his fridge but maybe he left to buy Infamil. I never criticize these guys because I'll never walk a step in their shoes.

God bless him on his journey forward.

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

I never understood all the Holyfield hype* and there were a lot of us who said he'd never cut it in the NFL.  But even in school, he had what...three of four good games against less-than-elite defenses?  That might look good on film but transfer that film to the speed of the NFL before you anoint the next great college phenom.  I'm looking at you, Chase Young.  

Running behind the best run-blocking lines? in the country made him look good.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Lot of Georgia homerism from this board would make you think he was a lock to be something special. I liked the guy but never thought for one minute he’d amount to much in the NFL. Too slow

Still not sure why he was rated so high coming out of high school. I guess it was because of who was recruiting him.

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Still not sure why he was rated so high coming out of high school. I guess it was because of who was recruiting him.

Nah, he had real talent coming out of HS. College talent often doesn't translate to the NFL. In college, you can be top player in your conference with little to no athleticism if you know how to play your game right. That rarely flys in the pros.

10 hours ago, hjerry said:

He just sucks

This is the brutal truth.  Well said

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Nah, he had real talent coming out of HS. College talent often doesn't translate to the NFL. In college, you can be top player in your conference with little to no athleticism if you know how to play your game right. That rarely flys in the pros.

Normally four star guys have the measurables that equate to the league. Most guys that do not run at least a 4.5 or are over six feet tend to garner three stars or lower. 

11 hours ago, hjerry said:

He just sucks

Yepper, he struck when the iron was as hot as it was going to be. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the numbers to garner anything higher than a UDFA. 

With that said, he would have been great RB back in 1970, just not now. Wrong skill set.

11 hours ago, octoslash said:

I'll honestly say I was more ticked off that Ridley left....another year with some better receivers and maybe we'd have been a little better. I think that's probably why Fromm left too, as someone mentioned farther down the thread, 'the iron wasn't gonna get any hotter'

18 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Normally four star guys have the measurables that equate to the league. Most guys that do not run at least a 4.5 or are over six feet tend to garner three stars or lower. 

Nah, check more measurables of kids coming out of HS. There are plenty of 4 star kids that don't run that fast, sometimes even 5 star, and only 247 rates kids based off NFL potential. The rest do it more based on college, and with thousands of kids, it's also far from an exact science.