Jump to content

Any of you guys thinking of not watching football this season?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some get to avoid it and some have to live it.  Be happy you are able to avoid it.  Some people aren’t allowed that privilege 

You guys sound like a bunch of snowflakes. I hope you can find a safe space where the athletes won't make your tummies hurt.

So much victimhood. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Sponge said:

John Bolton said that he never said suckers or anything of the like. I figure Bolton would want to double down on Trump if he did. 

 

Bolton might not have heard that specific remark, as well.  Trump absolutely said that POW’s weren’t heroes because they had been captured — it’s on video of him saying that about McCain.  And now multiple news agencies (including Fox News) have confirmed with multiple officials that Trump made derogatory remarks about troops on different occasions.  There are problems with the original The Atlantic story, but there’s enough people telling enough news agencies the same thing that I absolutely believe Trump said some very bad stuff that was disrespectful of the troops.  

I do think those officials should come forward and confirm it on the record, especially Mattis and Kelly.  This hiding in the background sniping because they’re afraid of the mean tweets and blowback has long gotten tired.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I asked you a genuine question directly related to your thread title and didn't get a response, for whatever that's worth. It does seem, at least from someone not on either "side," like you have your mind made up.

Sorry, I missed your question. Let me go back and try to find it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Great American said:

I'm having a hard time.  I'm so done with the NBA.  I'm planning to watch the Falcons this season but I will certainly turn it off if its political and that includes not standing for the presentation of colors.  

Someone finally answers the question? Thanks brother! 
 

I’m a huge Hawk fan as many of my post acknowledge, but I couldn’t do the NBA once it started back. It helped that the Hawks were not playing, but I was done.

I’m leaning toward doing the same with the Falcons. If start to see some rhetoric shoved in my face, I can plenty of other things to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lostone said:

So you bought high and sold low...  you chose the path... you really can’t blame an administration for your choices on the market... if you’d have stayed the course, you’d have gotten the returns I saw during Obama years

Agreed. Like I said It felt the safest thing to do at the time.

although, I did do the opposite during the plummet during the Coronavirus. I had put in the request to change all of my investments to be more stable, but I cancelled the request at the last minute. That certainly helped with my 26% gain.

With that said, the is a huge difference between a pandemic and bank fraud. Also my financial situation is much different between to two periods. 
 

All of it plays a part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

Agreed. Like I said It felt the safest thing to do at the time.

although, I did do the opposite during the plummet during the Coronavirus. I had put in the request to change all of my investments to be more stable, but I cancelled the request at the last minute. That certainly helped with my 26% gain.

With that said, the is a huge difference between a pandemic and bank fraud. Also my financial situation is much different between to two periods. 
 

All of it plays a part.

Your statement prior mad it seem like administrations were at fault, hence my asking of questions about what was in your portfolio.  I am a very boring passive investor.  I believe that once you are in Congress, you should be forced to liquidate all stock holding and put yourself into index funds that track the entire stock market.  I was told before that that wasn’t feasible.  I don’t really care.  People should be forced to serve the entire public good and not just one company.  It’s morally wrong.  I know the stock market isn’t the economy, but they should be playing by the same rules and not allowed to insider trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 2:36 AM, Francis York Morgan said:

I'd actually love to know what about this rhetoric is so threatening that it makes you not want to watch football. Not being facetious either - what specifically is your thought process here? Help me understand.

The celebration of criminals who did not comply with the police is my main objective. It’s like the old Chris Rock skit from SNL. Only bad things happen when you do not comply with the police. 

Are there incidents when cops have taken lives unjustly? Absolutely, but the names that have been brought up lately do not belong in that category.
 

My son, who is 18, fully  believes that George Floyd was murdered by the police for instance. When I saw the first video, I’ll admit that I did tear up a little as I thought the same thing. I was disgusted. The more I learned about the incident, that feeling faded. After watching the cop cams, I feel Floyd’s actions had more to do with his death than the cops action. 

Rayshard Brooks is another example. I saw a Democratic Senator state that he died d because he was sleeping at a Wendy’s. If anyone took the time to watch the cop video, it was clearly a situation where Mr. Brooks escalated the situation. Did the cop need to shot Brooks in the back after he fired the taser he had stolen from the cops? That is hard for me to answer because you have to look at the training that cops have been put through. When someone fires a weapon at you, they are taught to shoot back. Many people said that it was just a taser, but there have been multiple incidents with cops being shot with a taser and the shooter comes back after the officer is incapacitated and takes his gun. Then the perpetrator shoots the cop. I got the impression that Brooks just didn’t want to back to jail, but I didn’t see the scuffle coming when he was being handcuffed either.

I fully believe the Black Lives Matter as a philosophy standpoint, but the organization of BLM is not something that I can support. 
 

I do live in an upscale community. I have black friends in my neighborhood as well as outside of the neighborhood. We even take a couple of black families  dogs into our home when they travel. My High School was split down the middle racially. I have always had friends and even girlfriends of different races. I judge a person by character, not skin color.

 

Edited by Emmitt
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lostone said:

Your statement prior mad it seem like administrations were at fault, hence my asking of questions about what was in your portfolio.  I am a very boring passive investor.  I believe that once you are in Congress, you should be forced to liquidate all stock holding and put yourself into index funds that track the entire stock market.  I was told before that that wasn’t feasible.  I don’t really care.  People should be forced to serve the entire public good and not just one company.  It’s morally wrong.  I know the stock market isn’t the economy, but they should be playing by the same rules and not allowed to insider trade.

Agreed. I always find it very intriguing that most of these politicians leave office much more wealthy than when they entered. 
 

A man has to know his limitations. I know I could never be a salesman or a politician. I do not enjoy the art of persuasion or the act of lying. Both are tools in those fields.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emmitt said:

The celebration of criminals who did not comply with the police is my main objective. It’s like the old Chris Rock skit from SNL. Only bad things happen when you do not comply with the police. 

Are there incidents when cops have taken lives unjustly? Absolutely, but the names that have been brought up lately do not belong in that category.
 

My son, who is 18, fully  believes that George Floyd was murdered by the police for instance. When I saw the first video, I’ll admit that I did tear up a little as I thought the same thing. I was disgusted. The more I learned about the incident, that feeling faded. After watching the cop cams, I feel Floyd’s action had more to do with his death than the cops action. 

Rayshard Brooks is another example. I saw a Democratic Senator state that he did because he was sleeping at a Wendy’s. If anyone took the time to watch the cop video, it was clearly a situation where Mr. Brooks escalated the situation. Did the cop need to shot Brooks in the back after he fired the taser he had stolen from the cops? That is hard for me to answer because you have to look at the training that cops have been put through. When someone fires a weapon at you, they are fought to shoot back. Many people said that it was just a taser, but there have been multiple incidents with cops being shot with a taser and the shooter comes back after the officer is incapacitated and takes his gun. Then the perpetrator shoots the cop. I got the impression that Brooks just didn’t want to back to jail, but I didn’t see the scuffle coming when he was being handcuffed either.

I fully believe the Black Lives Matter as a philosophy standpoint, but the organization of BLM is not something that I can support. 
 

I do live in an upscale community, but I have black friends in my neighborhood as well as outside of the neighborhood. We even take their dog into our home when they travel. My High School was split down the middle. I have always had friends and even girlfriends of different races. I judge a person by character, not skin color.

Thank you for your response. My question was moreso geared towards why something like this would push you away from watching a sport, but I enjoy talking about this sort of thing too.

The issue that I take is with the belief that non-compliance justifies someone's death. I have no issue with someone saying that non-compliance can lead to worse outcomes, as that's a reasonable standpoint to take. However, I believe that police genuinely ought to be held to a higher standard than a normal citizen. "Good enough" isn't good enough, so to speak - when I was in the Navy, I felt the same way about dirtbags who just did enough to get by.

Take George Floyd. Is it reasonable to respond with force? Sure. Is it reasonable to keep your knee on someone's neck for 8 minutes despite him being restrained already? No. No, I don't think there's any real justification for that, and particularly when you want to hold police officers to a higher standard. With Brooks, this is moreso an issue of how it escalated in the first place. I think the officer was justified in returning fire after Brooks fired the taser. I don't think the situation should have ever occurred in the first place. He was drunk in a Wendy's, he should have had his license plate taken, a ticket for DUI written, and been picked up by someone. And then after the fact - after being shot, he should have had first aid administered immediately. That's just basic police training. Instead, the officer kicked him after he was shot and he didn't receive first aid for a while, precious minutes that directly led to his death.

This isn't even addressing individuals like Elijah McClain, who was sedated using enough chemical to kill someone twice his weight despite committing no crime, just wearing a ski mask. He literally played the violin for cats at animal shelters. There's people like Breonna Taylor, who was shot in her own home when police raided the wrong house, and then the police tried to charge her boyfriend with assault of a police officer for a gunshot another officer fired (yes, the cops shot each other and attempted to charge the boyfriend instead). Nothing has been done to the officers in either case.

As a side note, I do think it's interesting that the "black friends" thing comes up on the regular in conversations like this. Not an assessment of you, just an observation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Thank you for your response. My question was moreso geared towards why something like this would push you away from watching a sport, but I enjoy talking about this sort of thing too.

The issue that I take is with the belief that non-compliance justifies someone's death. I have no issue with someone saying that non-compliance can lead to worse outcomes, as that's a reasonable standpoint to take. However, I believe that police genuinely ought to be held to a higher standard than a normal citizen. "Good enough" isn't good enough, so to speak - when I was in the Navy, I felt the same way about dirtbags who just did enough to get by.

Take George Floyd. Is it reasonable to respond with force? Sure. Is it reasonable to keep your knee on someone's neck for 8 minutes despite him being restrained already? No. No, I don't think there's any real justification for that, and particularly when you want to hold police officers to a higher standard. With Brooks, this is moreso an issue of how it escalated in the first place. I think the officer was justified in returning fire after Brooks fired the taser. I don't think the situation should have ever occurred in the first place. He was drunk in a Wendy's, he should have had his license plate taken, a ticket for DUI written, and been picked up by someone. And then after the fact - after being shot, he should have had first aid administered immediately. That's just basic police training. Instead, the officer kicked him after he was shot and he didn't receive first aid for a while, precious minutes that directly led to his death.

This isn't even addressing individuals like Elijah McClain, who was sedated using enough chemical to kill someone twice his weight despite committing no crime, just wearing a ski mask. He literally played the violin for cats at animal shelters. There's people like Breonna Taylor, who was shot in her own home when police raided the wrong house, and then the police tried to charge her boyfriend with assault of a police officer for a gunshot another officer fired (yes, the cops shot each other and attempted to charge the boyfriend instead). Nothing has been done to the officers in either case.

As a side note, I do think it's interesting that the "black friends" thing comes up on the regular in conversations like this. Not an assessment of you, just an observation. 

I Agree with the kneeling on the neck. In my research, they say it is a taught technique, but I had never seen it before. Statistics indicate death has NEVER been a consequence of the technique, but I wasn’t very through in my analysis.

I’m only vaguely aware of the McClain incident, but the Taylor incident has many different perspectives at this point. It is to the point where a person is not sure what to believe at this point.

I only state that I have friends of different races to illustrate that I am not coming from a racially biased position, nothing else. 
 

I have been waiting for this topic to come up on the Falcon board but either I have missed it or it was deleted. 
 

Again, I was simply asking if others were hesitant to watch the Falcons this year due to the politicizing of the sport. It has certainly hurt the NBA, MLB and NHL in ratings with many people declaring that they would never watch another NFL game.

The Falcons have been a huge part of my family from a very young age. I’m sure to a casual fan, that tuning the NFL out may not be a big deal, but for me it is.

I am no longer a STH, but I’ve always supported them.

Edited by Emmitt
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I wonder what’s more insulting to the military, kneeling during the anthem in protest of police brutality or calling people who fought in Vietnam “suckers” and saying that POW’s weren’t heroes because they were captured.  🤔

Well... according to the Chump Parade I just saw on 285, it’s less an issue of having the Russians putting a bounty on them than someone quietly protesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Sure, but which is worse?

From a perspective of disrepect for veterans then calling veterans scumbags is obviously worse.  However, these two are categorically different.  Public actions in support of a movement that has mobilized riots across the country killing tens and destroying hundreds of millions in property is more dangerous.  Curbing the current violence seems to be a higher tier priority to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 1:44 PM, Sponge said:

John Bolton said that he never said suckers or anything of the like. I figure Bolton would want to double down on Trump if he did. 

 

This has been confirmed by many other's now that were there. Here is my problem with most of the Lemmings on here, they pushed the fake/scm story like trout above did, but have you seen any of them come back and say they were wrong? Same with the Russian hoax they pushed for years...Not manning up is what I have a problem with. I do it when I'm wrong on here @Big_Dog

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 3:33 PM, Emmitt said:

The Taylor incident has many different perspectives at this point. It is to the point where a person is not sure what to believe at this point.

Brandon Tatum has some new documents on his website. Detailing the whole investigation on Breonna dating back to 2016. Watch the video

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Thanks brother. I’ve seen this guy before on his other videos. He seems very intelligent.

He played football at Arizona and in the NFL. Went on to become a SWAT member. He is well-versed in knowledge in the legal field. And yes he is a very intelligent guyHe is well-versed in knowledge in the legal field. And yes he is a very intelligent guy

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

He played football at Arizona and in the NFL. Went on to become a SWAT member. He is well-versed in knowledge in the legal field. And yes he is a very intelligent guyHe is well-versed in knowledge in the legal field. And yes he is a very intelligent guy

I read the transcripts of those tapped phone calls last night. She was very involved with the selling of illegal drugs. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emmitt said:

I read the transcripts of those tapped phone calls last night. She was very involved with the selling of illegal drugs. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

 

Just now, wartownfalcon said:

Yeah she wasn’t the innocent face the media portrays

She was shot in her home on a no-knock warrant. No amount of drug dealing entitles the authorities to be judge, jury, and executioner. And no amount of drug dealing means that her boyfriend should be charged for attempted murder of an officer shot by another police officer.

This is, in this scenario, strictly about civil liberties. You're both essentially saying that the Constitution has no value. That any crime justifies the death of an individual, even if not taking place at the present time, even if wildly disproportionate. Does that really make sense to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

 

She was shot in her home on a no-knock warrant. No amount of drug dealing entitles the authorities to be judge, jury, and executioner. And no amount of drug dealing means that her boyfriend should be charged for attempted murder of an officer shot by another police officer.

This is, in this scenario, strictly about civil liberties. You're both essentially saying that the Constitution has no value. That any crime justifies the death of an individual, even if not taking place at the present time, even if wildly disproportionate. Does that really make sense to you?

If you do something wrong, you should die. That is what Jesus taught

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...