Hurst: “I am going to prove why I was a 1st Round Pick”

20 hours ago, gazoo said:

I have high hopes for him, but man he’s still got a boatload to learn. It might not start off rainbows and butterflies.  I do think things will start clicking for him by mid season though. I’m not saying he won’t make plays early on, he will, but it might look a little choppy at first.

Wow...this is the tamest your expectations for a TE with potential has been since I’ve been here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the attitude and hopefully he goes off for us this year  

In all fairness to me, I did predict Toilolo wouldn’t eclipse 1200 yards receiving his rookie season and I nailed that one

Why should it take till midseason for him to produce?   Do they not give playbooks to the new guys until October or something?  

On 9/4/2020 at 2:13 AM, FalconsIn2012 said:

He certainly has the talent to go so; however, I think if he is in the 800-1,000 range it likely means our offense as a whole is not performing well.  For me, the key is getting the RB’s heavily involved in the pass game circa 2016.  

A breakdown like this would be ideal:

• Gurley: 1,000 yards rushing, 500 yards receiving

• Hill/Ito/Ollison: 800 yards rushing, 350 yards receiving

• Julio: 90 catches, 1,500 yards

• Ridley: 70 catches, 1,000 yards

• Hurst: 50 catches, 600 yards 

• Gage: 62 catches, 680 yards 

If Ryan throws for 5000 yards then it's entirely possible this offense fields three 1000 yard receivers, and still gets solid production from role players.

He will do some things better than Hooper right off the bat. He's a better blocker which will make them much less predictable and help the run game. His speed also puts more pressure on defenses and will open up more opportunities for others underneath. I'm not sure if his stats will be better than Hoopers though. I expect Rid, Gage and Gurley to get a higher percentage of targets than they got last year. The defense and run game should be better too. All that means fewer targets for TE.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, Draftnut57 said:

It's a great thing to think while your running ,, The main thing is to be running as hard as you can while making the decisions ..  of which way to go... Follow the open ground..  How hard is that ??

Its almost like every player in the league makes the same comment on their second year. "The game has slowed down". But Im sure you're right, they should just think while they run. Wonder why everyone isn't all pro and "just do it" ?? 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:36 AM, Diggable Birds said:

Hopper was a good TE for us but lacked the ability to stretch the field. Hurst will come in and give us the same production or better immediately. Hooper got paid glad it wasn’t here 11 mil !!!!!!. Sheesh

Hoop's 2020 Cap Hit = $4.0M.

By comparison Carpenter's 2020 Cap Hit = $5.1M.

Troffed.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Hoop - 2244 yards, 16 TDs, 2 Pro Bowls
  • Hurst - 512 yards, 3 TDs, 0 TDs

Continuing now.

Ryan > Flacco

Which HoF QB and HoF WR has Hurst benefited from playing with like Hooper, in a pass heavy offense?

I’ll wait.

You do understand stats can be inflated or deflated based on scheme and opportunities?

Do you believe with the number of targets Hooper has received, that Hurst couldn’t equal or come close to the production?

21 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Ryan > Flacco

Which HoF QB and HoF WR has Hurst benefited from playing with like Hooper, in a pass heavy offense?

I’ll wait.

You do understand stats can be inflated or deflated based on scheme and opportunities?

Do you believe with the number of targets Hooper has received, that Hurst couldn’t equal or come close to the production?

The point is we could have found a way to keep a two time pro bowl TE. Instead we kept a journeyman OG that sucks bad, then shipped a second rounder off to replace Hoop. Quite a bit of Troffism goin on there. Lest not fret though. TATF has already pencilled in Hurst the seam stretcher with blazing 4.67 forty speed. If I recall correctly, Hoop's first TD was a seam stretcher in a Super Bowl game. Carry on bro.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The point is we could have found a way to keep a two time pro bowl TE. Instead we kept a journeyman OG that sucks bad, then shipped a second rounder off to replace Hoop. Quite a bit of Troffism goin on there. Lest not fret though. TATF has already pencilled in Hurst the seam stretcher with blazing 4.67 forty speed. If I recall correctly, Hoop's first TD was a seam stretcher in a Super Bowl game. Carry on bro.

Hoop’s first TD was in the regular season before the SB.

I just think you’d get a lot more conversational response if you weren’t seemingly looking to diminish ANY positive aspect of a move we make.

Hooper was inflated in Atlanta. He isn’t even able to play point man on line, strong side lead block. So, what explosiveness does he create as weapon at TE? It’s limited compared to the best in the league.

Carp’s contract wasn’t chosen over Hooper either. If they wanted Austin, they could have signed him.

What they did is get DFJ by letting Hooper walk. That is what happened.

I’m really glad the Falcons did not try to draft Hooper’s replacement with that pick. Hurst is older and was more polished coming out of college.

Give him a chance to produce in a pass heavy offense before comparing his numbers behind Andrews in the run heavy Ravens lineup is all I’m saying.

And, yes, Ryan, Dirk etc have all said Hurst is more athletic. If his numbers don’t match Hoop because Ridley, Gurley and Gage get more targets/receptions? Fine by me.

Just win.

Ugh, how did this turn into a "Hooper walks on water" discussion?

He's gone. Get over it. He got his money, which is way more than we were ever going to pay him, and peaced out. Good luck to him. He worked hard and got paid.

Come back with all this talk in a couple of years and we'll see how things worked out.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather have Hurst and whatever FA (Dennard?) we were able to get with that money than Hoop and someone worse. Especially, going into the cap **** that will be 2021.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Hoop’s first TD was in the regular season before the SB.

I just think you’d get a lot more conversational response if you weren’t seemingly looking to diminish ANY positive aspect of a move we make.

Hooper was inflated in Atlanta. He isn’t even able to play point man on line, strong side lead block. So, what explosiveness does he create as weapon at TE? It’s limited compared to the best in the league.

Carp’s contract wasn’t chosen over Hooper either. If they wanted Austin, they could have signed him.

What they did is get DFJ by letting Hooper walk. That is what happened.

I’m really glad the Falcons did not try to draft Hooper’s replacement with that pick. Hurst is older and was more polished coming out of college.

Give him a chance to produce in a pass heavy offense before comparing his numbers behind Andrews in the run heavy Ravens lineup is all I’m saying.

And, yes, Ryan, Dirk etc have all said Hurst is more athletic. If his numbers don’t match Hoop because Ridley, Gurley and Gage get more targets/receptions? Fine by me.

Just win.

I'm on record wanting Hurst when he came out to pair with Hoop. Not replace him. Imagine Julio, Ridley, Hoop, Hurst and Gurley.

Dimi blew enough cap space on Carp and Jamon to keep Hoop, Hurst and the second rounder he traded to get Hurst. Troffed.

To say we let Hoop walk to sign DFJ is just ludicrous. Buddy had to jettison 13 players to sign DFJ, Gurley and his draft class. 

Don't just win. Get rest. Anything less would be unswivelized. If Dimi and DQ step on their weenies again it's State Line. Trust me.

I have high hopes for him.  I don't expect the same production as Hooper, but I do hope he makes more explosive plays.  I think our fans underrated Hooper, as he had very reliable hands and ended up developing into a really good possession TE.  He had his moments, but he didn't have the same speed as Hurst.  I also think his injury held back his explosiveness this season, but even before then he didn't have top notch speed. 

Going into this season, every defense knows they are going to have to gameplan for Julio, Gurley, and Ridley.  That should open up the field for Hurst to make some explosive plays.

I'm hoping for 50 receptions, 600 yards, 5 TD's, and 10 explosive plays.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I do agree with you that many of the TAFT expectations on Hurst are way out there....

nor did he come without a cost, that 2nd rounder we gave up to get him was a significant draft capital cost,  which to me is more valuable than cap $$ cost. Ravens took J.K.Dobbins with that pick.

I do like Hurst’s skill-set potential....but right now, that’s all it is.

11 minutes ago, pzummo said:

I have high hopes for him.  I don't expect the same production as Hooper, but I do hope he makes more explosive plays.  I think our fans underrated Hooper, as he had very reliable hands and ended up developing into a really good possession TE.  He had his moments, but he didn't have the same speed as Hurst.  I also think his injury held back his explosiveness this season, but even before then he didn't have top notch speed. 

Going into this season, every defense knows they are going to have to gameplan for Julio, Gurley, and Ridley.  That should open up the field for Hurst to make some explosive plays.

I'm hoping for 50 receptions, 600 yards, 5 TD's, and 10 explosive plays.

When it comes to Hurst it's all about speed and cap hit on TATF. Although 90% forget we traded a second rounder to get him. BAL took J.K. Dobbins with that pick who many here coveted. Raekwon, Fulton, Uche and Chinn were still on the board too. 

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

When it comes to Hurst it's all about speed and cap hit on TATF. Although 90% forget we traded a second rounder to get him. BAL took J.K. Dobbins with that pick who many here coveted. Raekwon, Fulton, Uche and Chinn were still on the board too. 

Do you even remember how we got that 2nd rounder?

And no, we wouldn’t have paid Hooper if we had drafted Hurst. He went one pick ahead of our Ridley pick.

Look at Austin’s cap hit distribution like you yourself posted. If they wanted him for $4M they could have him.

Falcons offense was never going to pay for 2 TEs when it came time for Hooper to be paid. Stocker was #2 TE last year and didn’t crack 40% of the snaps on offense.

Falcons were either going to draft a TE or do what they did. They made the best choice. Hurst is worth a 2nd round pick over what we would have taken.

And yes, our biggest export this offseason contract was Hooper who we didn’t compete for by choosing to focus on defense instead.

That’s the fact. Ludicrous it doesn’t fit your narrative or common sense? Sure.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Do you even remember how we got that 2nd rounder?

And no, we wouldn’t have paid Hooper if we had drafted Hurst. He went one pick ahead of our Ridley pick.

Look at Austin’s cap hit distribution like you yourself posted. If they wanted him for $4M they could have him.

Falcons offense was never going to pay for 2 TEs when it came time for Hooper to be paid. Stocker was #2 TE last year and didn’t crack 40% of the snaps on offense.

Falcons were either going to draft a TE or do what they did. They made the best choice. Hurst is worth a 2nd round pick over what we would have taken.

And yes, our biggest export this offseason contract was Hooper who we didn’t compete for by choosing to focus on defense instead.

That’s the fact. Ludicrous it doesn’t fit your narrative or common sense? Sure.

Hurst better find these windows, catch the ball and score in the zone.